Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2020, 06:11 PM

4,376 posts, read 1,693,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Some people just can’t release their hatred. They won and their still mad at him. Guess it’s all they have anymore but what will they do with their anger when Biden takes over?
There’s a lot of reasons to be mad. At least 250,000 of them, and counting.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:19 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,821,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
That's a really sad article.
And then there's this......
https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampp...20%25251%2524s

Old 11-19-2020, 10:55 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post

"The order, which is in line with CDC guidance"...

I understand the rationale; a health care worker who's infected but asymptomatic doesn't pose a threat if they're only treating covid positive patients in isolation. But the worker still needs to be out in the community at large to get to work in the first place. Seems pretty dumb. I guess CDC figures the risks are outweighed by the consequences of staff shortages.

Old 11-21-2020, 07:53 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
In general, humans tend to fall victim to “comparative optimism,” in which we believe that bad things are more likely to happen to other people. There’s still a relatively low likelihood of contracting COVID-19 during any given restaurant outing, but “people aren’t particularly good at perceiving that kind of risk,” says Toby Wise, a researcher at Caltech who has studied coronavirus risk perception.

People don’t learn from statistics, such as cases per 100,000, but rather from their own experiences, says Maria Konnikova, a psychologist and the author of The Biggest Bluff, about the psychology of gambling. Eating at restaurants is comforting and familiar, which breeds “overconfidence and the downplaying of downside risk,” she says. How could something so fun hurt us? Plus, it’s not like authority figures are telling us to stay out of restaurants. “When there’s a muddled message, you don’t err on the side of safety,” Konnikova says. “You err on the side of desire, especially if you’re tired of quarantine.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...aurant/617151/

Old 11-23-2020, 03:16 PM

3,067 posts, read 1,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Some people just can’t release their hatred. They won and their still mad at him. Guess it’s all they have anymore but what will they do with their anger when Biden takes over?
They'll find some other reason to bash Trump. That's what my buddy said. "As long as Trump is in the news, he's going to continue to be outraged". Well that's forever then. Because the media can't quit Trump, and he loves the attention. Good luck to all you TDS folks out there. Must be a rough way to live, stressed out all the time.

Old 11-27-2020, 12:02 PM

Daily average California coronavirus cases are growing at an exponential rate, with officials reporting larger numbers of cases than at any other point in the pandemic, said Dr. Robert Kim-Farley, medical epidemiologist and infectious diseases expert at the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health.

“With this rapidly increasing number of cases, we are seeing what could be described as a ‘snowball effect,’” Kim-Farley said, “in that the size of the snowball, i.e. community transmission, as it rolls down the hill is gaining momentum and speed, and becoming alarmingly large.”

Another indicator of the reality of the current surge is the broadening transmission.

“We now have widespread community transmission, so transmission is occurring at a number of different venues,” whether it be within homes, restaurants or other workplaces, Kim-Farley said.

Although there’s no one single driver of the surge, all of those settings are contributing, and Kim-Farley said more efforts needed to be taken in multiple areas to get the disease transmission rates down.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...e-restrictions

Old 11-28-2020, 10:17 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Expecting Trump to do the right thing at this point is wishful. So yeah. Not going to happen. But is it necessary? Who is looking to the president for the right message still? People made up their minds about whether or not they'd follow the protocols months back. That's what I mean by a national policy being unnecessary. I don't think we're going to change anyone's thinking just because of what Trump or Biden says.

Actually Trump did do the right thing, under the authority he has been granted by the Constiution.

He should have declared martial law early on and closed Western Washington and New York City so those could not leave and spread the virus across the entire US. Governors Inslee and Cuomo have more than the deaths of nursing home patients on their watch.

Both Governors refused to quarantine their infected populations. My guess, is both wanted to give the rich folks time to flee to rural areas.

Public health responsibilities are primarily with local and state governments.

If the pandemic gets worse, President Biden given his promises to shut down and listen to the science might declare martial law.

But I suspect he is just talking.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Both Governors refused to quarantine their infected populations. My guess, is both wanted to give the rich folks time to flee to rural areas.
Then what was the executive order issued in March?

Governor Gavin Newsom Issues Stay at Home Order:
https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/up...ALTH-ORDER.pdf

Old 11-28-2020, 03:04 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Pfizer just announced that their vaccine looks like it has a 90% effectiveness rate in their study. “The preliminary results could pave a way for vaccine by year end.”

Encouraging.

https://apnews.com/article/pfizer-va...42be22a2240ae8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Actually Trump did do the right thing, under the authority he has been granted by the Constiution.

He should have declared martial law early on and closed Western Washington and New York City so those could not leave and spread the virus across the entire US. Governors Inslee and Cuomo have more than the deaths of nursing home patients on their watch.

Public health responsibilities are primarily with local and state governments.

If the pandemic gets worse, President Biden given his promises to shut down and listen to the science might declare martial law.

But I suspect he is just talking.
I have a feeling if Democrats were in full control of the country in every sector they would declare martial law and nationwide lockdown first and ask questions later and wouldn't give a care about the constitutionality. Of course the same court Democrat controlled court mafia would back their actions up and rule them constitutional no matter what and give the middle finger for those who dare challenge.

Old 11-28-2020, 03:20 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I have a feeling if Democrats were in full control of the country in every sector they would declare martial law and nationwide lockdown first and ask questions later and wouldn't give a care about the constitutionality. Of course the same court Democrat controlled court mafia would back their actions up and rule them constitutional no matter what and give the middle finger for those who dare challenge.
The Supreme Court just ruled against NY and it’s restrictions against churches. I wouldn’t be so sure the courts would side with martial law. There’s no reason for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California