Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2020, 07:16 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,821,735 times

Advertisements

Good read: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ma...id=hplocalnews

Old 12-07-2020, 08:27 AM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times
you don't have to pay people to get the vaccine. The school systems won't let you kids return to school in the fall without being vaccinated and employers will and can require their employers be vaccinated.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:30 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,276,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Uh, I think you quoted the wrong person. Please leave me out of that.
Sorry about that

Old 12-07-2020, 08:37 AM

20,094 posts, read 8,995,406 times
are we expecting anything to change once our new president tell us to wear masks on January 20th?

Old 12-07-2020, 09:04 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,446,330 times
Quote:
Maybe you were accidentally painting San Diego public schools as the entirety of the campus situation down there.

Quite the contrary. I specifically said that other smaller districts in the county have had varying success. If you'd bother to read more carefully, you'd understand there isn't just one big district for a county of millions of residents. Regardless, SDUSD is huge, the second biggest in California.

Here's something to deter you from your horribly inaccurate guesswork though:
Weekly covid report SDUSD.

Nine student quarantine cases since October 13th out of 1868 students doing limited in-person tk-5 grades (which is the only thing open right now and expected to remain that way past the now delayed phase II start date). Zero outbreaks since July 1st.
Tell me again we're doing it all wrong.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:00 AM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Los Angeles campuses will shut down completely beginning Thursday for all in-person tutoring and special services, as prospects for fully reopening the nation’s second-largest school district recede further into 2021 amid a dangerous coronavirus surge, Supt. Austin Beutner announced Monday (12/7).

Dangerous COVID-19 surge leads to hard shutdown of L.A. public schools:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...pandemic-surge

Old 12-07-2020, 10:56 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Quite the contrary. I specifically said that other smaller districts in the county have had varying success. If you'd bother to read more carefully, you'd understand there isn't just one big district for a county of millions of residents. Regardless, SDUSD is huge, the second biggest in California.

Here's something to deter you from your horribly inaccurate guesswork though:
Weekly covid report SDUSD.

Nine student quarantine cases since October 13th out of 1868 students doing limited in-person tk-5 grades (which is the only thing open right now and expected to remain that way past the now delayed phase II start date). Zero outbreaks since July 1st.
Tell me again we're doing it all wrong.
Good for you. However, if for example 1 in 10 students has acquired the virus from outside the school, that will collapse.

In defense of my ignorance, I've only ever spent a few days in San Diego (not unlike probably many other Los Angeles County residents) and I don't think you ever previously said you were only comparing SDUSD to other schools in that county.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:03 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
you don't have to pay people to get the vaccine. The school systems won't let you kids return to school in the fall without being vaccinated and employers will and can require their employers be vaccinated.
Few will in 2021, I predict. Medical providers will require vaccinations, I guess the military will, and I think some schools will - and schools won't do that early next year, so what happens with all the parents demanding their kids can attend in person?

Old 12-07-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Los Angeles campuses will shut down completely beginning Thursday for all in-person tutoring and special services, as prospects for fully reopening the nation’s second-largest school district recede further into 2021 amid a dangerous coronavirus surge, Supt. Austin Beutner announced Monday (12/7).

Dangerous COVID-19 surge leads to hard shutdown of L.A. public schools:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...pandemic-surge

Not surprised. I wouldn't be surprised either if we follow suit. Both districts tend to copy each other's leads. We've had greater success than LA though. In all honesty, this school year is done. It won't be until mid January now that SD Unified will even weigh plans for a start date of our phase two. I have a sneaking suspicion that unless we miraculously move into red tier and hover near the cusp of orange, there won't be any additional in-person offered.

Old 12-07-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Good for you. However, if for example 1 in 10 students has acquired the virus from outside the school, that will collapse.

Sounds like you can't admit that an actual science-based plan worked even when shown the data. Nine total student quarantine cases (not even actual covid case numbers) out of nearly 2k students in two months of it being in place is a success. And that flies right in the face of your guesses about students being the vehicle of infection. It's clearly not and you know it. You can if this or if that it to death but those ifs haven't happened.

Quote:
In defense of my ignorance, I've only ever spent a few days in San Diego (not unlike probably many other Los Angeles County residents) and I don't think you ever previously said you were only comparing SDUSD to other schools in that county.
It's not ignorance. It's stubbornness to see the facts. You don't need to spend anytime here to look this stuff up. As I said (and just proved), there's tons of transparency and the data is right there available to anyone. The only reason to make a bunch of assumptions is laziness on your part.

And btw, here's me saying other districts (not schools) in the county had differing levels of success:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Other smaller districts within the county have had reasonable success too. The more permissive (as in bigger classes) have had the most issues but nothing which has led to widespread community outbreaks and they err on the side of extreme caution when it comes to shutting down.

Read better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California