Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2020, 03:58 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I tried briefly searching for this info a few days ago, couldn't find info on CA or local areas.

My county's (Contra Costa) COVID dashboard has basically shown ICU capacity continuously fluctuating between 70-80% since July 1st. It didn't really seem to make a difference how many were hospitalized for COVID.
Your county looks very low on this site. Confirmed ICU cases by county in California:

https://www.latimes.com/projects/cal...king-outbreak/

Old 12-09-2020, 03:59 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
A filled ICU bed is a filled ICU bed. It doesn't really matter what a patient is being treated for in it. What I'd be interested in seeing is what that capacity looks like during a normal, non-covid year. Are we approaching levels that are double what they normally are for this time of year? or is it on par with the norm? Guessing here, I assume a lot of people are normally admitted to critical care units for pneumonia and flu during the winter months up to the height of the season. It would make sense to want to avoid overloading that with covid cases too but the methodology (especially lumping hospitals into these regions) looks a bit dubious.
I saw a chart for Los Angeles County that showed the county shutting down at around 85% ICU being filled, but in previous flu seasons, there were several years above 90%. I'll have to go find it. One thing is for sure, hospitals were not made to operate at empty. they were made to operate at near capacity because that's the only way they're profitable. Hell Kaiser started calling their patients "consumers" years ago.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:41 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times
Just curious does the ban on indoor dining also forbids restroom use or otherwise entering the lobby for any reason at all? Seems like many restaurants are blocking takeout customers from using the restroom by barricades or locked doors. It can really be hard for those out and about and needing to use restrooms when getting takeout whether someone running errands getting takeout or working for food delivery apps. Restroom deficiency when out and about had always been an issue in the past but now it’s gotten much worse.

Old 12-10-2020, 10:27 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Just curious does the ban on indoor dining also forbids restroom use or otherwise entering the lobby for any reason at all? Seems like many restaurants are blocking takeout customers from using the restroom by barricades or locked doors. It can really be hard for those out and about and needing to use restrooms when getting takeout whether someone running errands getting takeout or working for food delivery apps. Restroom deficiency when out and about had always been an issue in the past but now it’s gotten much worse.
Do what truckers do. Keep a porta potti in the back. Guys just need a liter bottle.

Old 12-11-2020, 03:33 AM

130 posts, read 159,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Do what truckers do. Keep a porta potti in the back. Guys just need a liter bottle.
Yep, That is why I just going to eat at home from now on till this mask stuff ends. I'm not paying premium prices to wait in line nor be refused a bathroom. Feel bad for the small businesses seems like Government is in bed with Big Corporations/Central Banks.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:44 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchingsinc View Post
Yep, That is why I just going to eat at home from now on till this mask stuff ends. I'm not paying premium prices to wait in line nor be refused a bathroom. Feel bad for the small businesses seems like Government is in bed with Big Corporations/Central Banks.
Do tell. And governments, Big Corporations and Central Banks love recession /depressions / unemployment because why?

Last edited by Tulemutt; 12-11-2020 at 07:56 AM..

Old 12-11-2020, 07:52 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
I tried briefly searching for this info a few days ago, couldn't find info on CA or local areas. But in Minneapolis for example hospitals/ICU is normally at 90% capacity this year.

My county's (Contra Costa) COVID dashboard has basically shown ICU capacity continuously fluctuating between 70-80% since July 1st. It didn't really seem to make a difference how many were hospitalized for COVID.

I get not wanting to overwhelm hospitals but they make it seem like 85% ICU capacity is abnormal when it appears to be about normal this time of year.
This article isn't about CoCo County, but I think it gives good reasons why the numbers reported for ICU beds don't necessarily tell the true picture: https://www.ksbw.com/article/montere...ality/34935564

"What's publicly reported is kind of this weird derivative of a bunch of variables based on licensed beds, based on beds that we're calling surge ICU beds, based on how many patients are in the hospital, it's kind of a complicated equation that the state is basically made up for this period of time and it isn't reflective of the number of people that are in crisis right now," said Radner.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:22 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
This article isn't about CoCo County, but I think it gives good reasons why the numbers reported for ICU beds don't necessarily tell the true picture: https://www.ksbw.com/article/montere...ality/34935564

"What's publicly reported is kind of this weird derivative of a bunch of variables based on licensed beds, based on beds that we're calling surge ICU beds, based on how many patients are in the hospital, it's kind of a complicated equation that the state is basically made up for this period of time and it isn't reflective of the number of people that are in crisis right now," said Radner.
This was part of the reason San Mateo County didn't join the early stay at home order; "there is no standard method for understanding ICU capacity on a county or regional level."

Doesn't really seem like the best metric to shutdown businesses now does it?

Old 12-11-2020, 10:25 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Do tell. And governments, Big Corporations and Central Banks love recession /depressions / unemployment because why?
They scoop up the scraps and make a killing when the economy turns around. Just look at what happened during the last foreclosure crisis.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:38 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
This was part of the reason San Mateo County didn't join the early stay at home order; "there is no standard method for understanding ICU capacity on a county or regional level."

Doesn't really seem like the best metric to shutdown businesses now does it?
I'm aligned that they could've been more surgical about this approach (identifying high risk businesses and communicating effectively). On the other hand, the spread has increased dramatically and something drastic has been needed here. You've already stated that you aren't troubled by the numbers, but plenty of others are and find the trend unacceptably high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California