Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2020, 01:35 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times

Advertisements

Targeted restrictions now would target almost everything, because COVID is everywhere, and to the point where in many cases restrictions would be impractical to implement other than as closure (which does wreck some businesses). That's why it is a crisis. Every American state and most other countries would lock down if facing similar numbers. And when places have done it, numbers get better, albeit things backslide somewhat post-lockdown (almost everywhere so far). That it's being allowed to grow/regrow into crises is the big problem, but it would be hell to leave everything open no matter what. You are on the wrong side of the argument, and I'm mildly pleased now that others can see my Looker's cousin claim wasn't crazy. You're on your way to pariah status in this thread. This is almost as obnoxious as someone coming here to preach against the new vaccines (not that they're worry-free or salvations).

Also, anyone here, on *City-Data*, should know how to look for demographic data. Even I was surprised at how high a percentage of the California population Latinos (the super-spreader ethnic group) are. Florida's percentage is much lower and not surprising. By that alone this state is at a disadvantage I believe compared to every other in the nation and locked down we are.

Last edited by goodheathen; 12-25-2020 at 01:45 AM..

Old 12-25-2020, 07:51 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Targeted restrictions now would target almost everything, because COVID is everywhere, and to the point where in many cases restrictions would be impractical to implement other than as closure (which does wreck some businesses). That's why it is a crisis. Every American state and most other countries would lock down if facing similar numbers. And when places have done it, numbers get better, albeit things backslide somewhat post-lockdown (almost everywhere so far). That it's being allowed to grow/regrow into crises is the big problem, but it would be hell to leave everything open no matter what. You are on the wrong side of the argument, and I'm mildly pleased now that others can see my Looker's cousin claim wasn't crazy. You're on your way to pariah status in this thread. This is almost as obnoxious as someone coming here to preach against the new vaccines (not that they're worry-free or salvations).

Also, anyone here, on *City-Data*, should know how to look for demographic data. Even I was surprised at how high a percentage of the California population Latinos (the super-spreader ethnic group) are. Florida's percentage is much lower and not surprising. By that alone this state is at a disadvantage I believe compared to every other in the nation and locked down we are.
Pariah status? Ooooh nooooooo! LOL. Who cares?

What you don’t understand is that all of us here are a bunch of opinionated arm chair quarterbacks on fairly insignificant forums. The total “membership” here is less than one percent of everyone in the US. Plus some are from other countries, so it’s probably less. There’s quite a few know-it-all’s and at least one that’s likely a paid shill for the LA Times.

You have a track record of throwing out wild opinions and speculations without ANYTHING to back it up. I may not agree with people here, but at least they put up sources and data to back up their arguments. You? Nada.

I pointed out that it’s curious California has the tightest restrictions but not so good results. We’re a serious hot spot now. I mentioned Florida because they’re the opposite, no restrictions, but doing better. The reality is that many states are doing better, not just Florida. You keep railing about different reasons for the California cases. Maybe you’re right, maybe not. Let’s see the data you claim. Even so, what about other states?

You can’t answer because you don’t know and are speculating. I’m open to other reasons, but around the world, they’ve lockdown and surged. It....doesn’t....work.

Thankfully there’s a vaccine that should put an end to this. Maybe we’ll have to get yearly boosters, we’ll see. Until then, all these lockdowns do is ruin businesses and lives without really helping.

What’s funny is that I’ve received rep points for these posts. Rep points just mean people agree, so I’m not the only one that thinks this way.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2020, 11:23 AM

"Paid shill" - that's classy. Even if it were true (vs. just not wanting to talk much with the harsh participants), it is harmless, whereas you're here because despite the misleading statements above this is one of the biggest soapboxes available.

I surely cannot prove why California is doing so poorly, because nobody knows, but all the data indicates that lockdowns reduce case numbers and nothing else has been shown to do that for a crisis.

Nothing surges for long when locked down, assuming there's normal amount of enforcement (again, Garcetti is terrible). Of course defiance by business as encouraged by you undermines compliance and extends lockdowns. From an economic perspective, lockdowns are negative for businesses and employees but that's not automatic when governments are competent (meaning provide assistance).

I don't bother providing sources for very vanilla claims, but this is something else.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/much-herd...131558469.html

That herd immunity will be harder to achieve when any type of defiance is encouraged, because people are looking for excuses to do as they wish and the Internet is to that like the air is to the virus. Pat yourself on the back for reps you receive (from esteemed people like V8 Vega, I bet) and I receive reps too, but you're the one perpetuating a terrible situation.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:46 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
If lockdowns are the answer, why is wide open Florida doing better than California?
Up until the last 14 days, California was doing much better than Florida in its confirmed cases per 100 K AND its death rate per 100 K. Data for the last two weeks is much worse for both states (not to mention many others).

Old 12-26-2020, 09:20 AM

4,319 posts, read 6,280,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Up until the last 14 days, California was doing much better than Florida in its confirmed cases per 100 K AND its death rate per 100 K. Data for the last two weeks is much worse for both states (not to mention many others).
Based upon the threats that the COVID statistics counter in FL has received, I wouldn't be surprised if their actual totals were significantly higher than reported: https://news.yahoo.com/florida-state...010351103.html

Old 12-26-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Based upon the threats that the COVID statistics counter in FL has received, I wouldn't be surprised if their actual totals were significantly higher than reported: https://news.yahoo.com/florida-state...010351103.html
Conjecture. How do you explain all the other states doing better with less restrictions?

Old 12-26-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Conjecture. How do you explain all the other states doing better with less restrictions?
That's more than conjecture. I'll gladly help lower your reputation (re your implication that somehow businesses should never be shut down), with some sensible speculation: that, due to the temperate winters, people in Southern California socialize more this season than people in most other parts of the country.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
That's more than conjecture. I'll gladly help lower your reputation (re your implication that somehow businesses should never be shut down), with some sensible speculation: that, due to the temperate winters, people in Southern California socialize more this season than people in most other parts of the country.
“Sensible speculation”? LOL. That may be worse than conjecture.

When you get some facts, post the links. Until then, your “sensible speculation” is a bunch of garbage.

What happened to “science and data”? How about seeing where the cases are coming from and target restrictions to those areas? If it’s restaurants, fine. If it’s retail stores, target them.

This random shotgun approach isn’t working.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:53 PM

4,319 posts, read 6,280,585 times
Quote:
Doing better in what regard? California is currently #35 in cases per 1M population and #39 in deaths per 1M population. Most of the states that are doing better are NOT light on restrictions. These are mostly northern states, such as Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine?

Old 12-26-2020, 02:01 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Doing better in what regard? California is currently #35 in cases per 1M population and #39 in deaths per 1M population. Most of the states that are doing better are NOT light on restrictions. These are mostly northern states, such as Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine?
Ca is 34 today and FL 27th, both low per 1M cases

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

then deaths CA is 40th and FL is 20th. But Snowbirds are a bit of a problem now due to moving to FL for the winter. Then the average in CA is 36.3 and in FL 41.9 and that makes a difference due to all the retirees moving into FL from the North and surprisingly I am hearing, from CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California