Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2020, 05:15 PM

6,602 posts, read 4,817,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Unfortunately, it's not just the elderly. One of our kids has a friend whose entire family--all under 30--now has the virus, and that's exactly what the friend said: You have no idea how hard this is when no one can come in and help take care of your young children.
I hope that vaccinated nannies solves that problem, for those who can afford it. The government should subsidize it for others, on a limited-time basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
It isn't any wonder why this is still spreading. Most people are wearing the wrong mask. If you aren't wearing an N95 or one approved by the CDC, you may as well go without. Those flimsy cotton things they sell labeled "fashion mask" or even a homemade one don't do squat. smh
I doubt that's immediately affecting much more than employees, but at this point it's ridiculous that workers and for example airplane travelers aren't required to wear masks that are almost medical-grade and it's partly why the research (using proper masks) is being followed by disappointing real-world results. Ban for example bandanas and offer at cost masks to people without anything up to par.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:21 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,931,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
That's why we need a better stimulus bill to protect workers and businesses, but Republicans turned down additional aid. Its not safe to reopen now with the amount of spread. If you're so worried about these businesses, talk to your congressman about providing additional stimulus aid and enacting additional controls to get COVID under control. If we all just stayed home for a few weeks, we could starve COVID. But, you said it yourself that you hate this government regulation and do your own thing, like going out with friends. Pretty hypocritical of you to be part of the spreading problem and then blame government for trying to get it under control. Look at your own behavior and why these restrictions are needed in the first place vs blaming those trying to improve the situation. Good grief!
Why are you trying to pin this on Republicans when both parties approved useless spending in the bill such as giving hundreds of millions to Egypt and Sudan for example? Why not give that to the American people for a larger stimulus? I'll tell you why - because they really don't give a damn about us since we aren't the ones filling their pockets with money.

At the end of the day, Americans who need it the most are getting just $600 because our politicians on all sides have special interests dictating what they do.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:21 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,237,335 times
Quote:
Part of the protection of other diseases through immunization has been herd immunity. Its for the very reason that these aren't 100% effective. Measles is a good example of this. So yes, I agree that by me taking the vaccine (which I will do when it is available to me) reduces the risk dramatically, the remainder comes from herd immunity.

Nice of you to equate a horrible event such as the holocaust with those who are trying to protect lives through vaccines/mask wearing/social distancing, etc. It should be those who have no disregard for others by acting recklessly, not those who are trying to get and keep this disease under under control. As someone of Jewish decent, who's family was impacted by the holocaust, I find your analogy disgusting.
As someone who’s also of Jewish descent, and whose grandparents were persecuted Russian Jews that came to the US in the early 1900’s, I think it’s entirely appropriate. You propose to separate out a segment of the population because of a perceived fear. Let’s make life harder for people because you want to punish them for something that’s largely not going to affect people after they’ve been vaccinated.

Your proposal to bar people is what’s disgusting.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:22 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,021,154 times
Quote:
CA never has nor never will be fully shutdown, like you see in Europe. Restaurants are able to do delivery and takeout and stores are all open, with mask wearing. You do have some businesses like hair/nail salons closed but they'll be able to reopen if our case rate drops.

And don't forget how the powers that imposed the business closures endorsed the BLM riots. Our cases won't drop until herd immunity through infection and vaccine because certain groups are exempt from the rules.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I hope that vaccinated nannies solves that problem, for those who can afford it. The government should subsidize it for others, on a limited-time basis.

I doubt that's immediately affecting much more than employees, but at this point it's ridiculous that workers and for example airplane travelers aren't required to wear masks that are almost medical-grade and it's partly why the research (using proper masks) is being followed by disappointing real-world results. Ban for example bandanas and offer at cost masks to people without anything up to par.
There is no "offering at cost masks". If the government truly cared about its people and wanted them safe, they'd distribute these N95-like masks FOR FREE like they did the last stimulus bill, ensuring the vast majority get one to guarantee as much as they can the "safety" of everyone. Otherwise, people will just pick up an old bandana and use it as a face covering because CNN/MSNBC/Fox/local news said it was okay to use that. It also might be too expensive to buy a group of masks when that $25 can buy a family dinner or full tank of gas instead. Do realize many have lost their jobs due to lockdowns and rely on unemployment.

Some people really just live in their own bubble not realizing how things affect others of different socio-economic status or class. It's easy to tell those who have not had much struggle in their life.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:32 PM

4,307 posts, read 6,231,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
And don't forget how the powers that imposed the business closures endorsed the BLM riots. Our cases won't drop until herd immunity through infection and vaccine because certain groups are exempt from the rules.
I don’t support violence (which isn’t unique to the left BTW), but do feel for African Americans who have been victims of systematic racism and police brutality. Pretty disgusting of the far right to deflect the small group of violent protesters in an attempt to minimize the cause. That smells like racism to me.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
As someone who’s also of Jewish descent, and whose grandparents were persecuted Russian Jews that came to the US in the early 1900’s, I think it’s entirely appropriate. You propose to separate out a segment of the population because of a perceived fear. Let’s make life harder for people because you want to punish them for something that’s largely not going to affect people after they’ve been vaccinated.

Your proposal to bar people is what’s disgusting.
Separating a segment due to intentionally being a public health hazard vs an ethnic group are completely different things. Such a false equivalency.

Also, as a fellow Jew, how can you in good conscience support such a racist demagogue as Trump? That boggles my mind.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:35 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,021,154 times
Quote:
I don’t support violence (which isn’t unique to the left BTW), but do feel for African Americans who have been victims of systematic racism and police brutality. Pretty disgusting of the far right to deflect the small group of violent protesters in an attempt to minimize the cause. That smells like racism to me.

I'm a person of color and can't be racist. I happen to be Indian-American and you didn't see us rioting when one of our own was severely beaten and paralyzed by cops and all charges were dropped. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...father-n573806

Old 12-28-2020, 05:38 PM

Quote:
It was by design. Now no one even talks about peaceful protesting because the scenes from the riots and organized raids of big box stores far overshadows it. Like I remember the peaceful march down Vine or in DTLA as much as I do the guy who was beat to death with a skateboard for defending his friend's store, or the pawn shop owner who was shot and killed during the riots while in his own store telling folks not to loot it.

Quote:
I'm a person of color and can't be racist. I happen to be Indian-American and you didn't see us rioting when one of our own was severely beaten and paralyzed by cops and all charges were dropped. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...father-n573806
This comment is similar to the white people who say this when a white person gets killed by a cop "why aren't you blacks protesting for them too huh?" And I'm just like...why don't YOU go out and protest for your own people.

As far as the riots, that was hijacked by outside groups. There's more than enough videos for you to go watch of actual protesters yelling at the rioters telling them to leave because they're messing everything up. There's probably hundreds of these videos out there across numerous US cities.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
You also don’t have 200+ years of oppression here in the US. Sorry, but you as an Indian don’t know what it’s like to live as a black man in the US any more than I do. Please don’t speak for another group you know nothing about. I only speak from what I hear are the experiences of my African American friends and colleagues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California