Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2021, 05:03 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 15 days ago)

34,462 posts, read 16,559,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I didn't say otherwise.

I think from now on outdoor funerals might be all clear, if small (until eventually serious COVID-19 cases become rare). No religion dictates large funerals. Religion doesn't exist to risk lives. People just need to accept some limitations for a while, consistent with the usual religious teaching of caring about mankind.
The key word in your post is 'for awhile." No one seems willing to give either a timeline or non-moving goalposts for that eventuality.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:05 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 15 days ago)

34,462 posts, read 16,559,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
With due respect, being Jewish doesn’t change reality for the world around you that isn’t. If burial can’t occur within a fixed period through no fault of your own, does your god smite you dead with lightning? Or is she a merciful god?

I think Jews represent about .2% of world population. For this ideology the rest of the world should accommodate? Perhaps not so much.

No offense. Some of my best friends are Jews. (Actually true.)
You still won't address the question; how much coronavirus spread in an outdoor funeral, seven people total, on a windy day? Is the effort to tamp down society or stop contagion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You really didn't mean to offend by writing "god" with a small g and referring to God as "she"? Hmmm. (I am not Jewish either, and maybe the person you are responding to doesn't care about those things, but they do seem like trying to push someone's buttons).
I really don't make a habit of being offended. I am not one of those types that looks for subliminal messages in children's literature. Thanks for your thoughtfulness but we as a group would rather succeed in the real world rather than through a phony solicitousness by the woke. And that's not aimed at you.

Thanks again.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:30 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,748,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
That would be a waste of time because you've clearly stated you don't believe in God as have a couple of others here. And because you and they don't believe, it somehow makes you the experts? Maybe it would be wise to keep personal opinions about a person's faith out of these threads. There's an entire section of the site devoted to such topics.
True religion and politics belong on other sites here.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:37 AM

21,602 posts, read 16,097,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You still won't address the question; how much coronavirus spread in an outdoor funeral, seven people total, on a windy day?
I did address your “question” ... my response was the first sentence in my reply. Replay below. You wrote (and you made a statement ... you did not pose a question):
Quote:
My father-in-law's funeral consisted of me, wife wife, her twin sister (i.e. both of his daughters), his wife's caregiver, my two sons (i.e. two of his grandsons) and the Rabbi. That's seven people, outdoors, in a 20 mph wind. Hardly high risk. Even with that my synagogue wouldn't provide clergy because my sister-in-law flew in from California. We hired another Rabbi.

A seven-person outdoor funeral on a windy day is not "high-risk."
To which I responded, in agreement, right out of the blocks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
No, it’s not.
That clarified, you now go on to pose the question tacitly implied:
Quote:
Is the effort to tamp down society or stop contagion?
And this is where I opined that your offense (at your synagogue opting to deny rabbinical service due to your sister-in-law’s arrival, untested from California) is misplaced social outrage ... because your synagogue was simply conforming to strict interpretation of medical scientific advisory.

Your option, then, was to find a circumvention, which you were able to do ... or proceed with burial but delay social group honors. The Jewish tradition of burial with honor at gravesite within days is not any heavenly edict recognized as law by 99.8% of humanity. It is simply a dogmatic tradition with no historical evidence of any punishment for failure ... particularly under circumstances beyond your control.

Thus I point out your outrage at government is misplaced. And there certainly is no conspiracy here to “tamp down society.”

Now, that all said, the rest of your response gets a thumbs up.

Quote:
I really don't make a habit of being offended. I am not one of those types that looks for subliminal messages in children's literature. Thanks for your thoughtfulness but we as a group would rather succeed in the real world rather than through a phony solicitousness by the woke. And that's not aimed at you.

Thanks again.
My personal agreement

Old 03-06-2021, 08:37 AM

40,919 posts, read 48,863,927 times
6-9% of the people crossing the border are carrying the Virus and being released into the border states.

And the Hispanic community distrusts getting shots by the Govt.

Not a good combination.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:07 AM

6,602 posts, read 4,817,614 times
Quote:
The key word in your post is 'for awhile." No one seems willing to give either a timeline or non-moving goalposts for that eventuality.
I think most statewide restrictions will be gone by April 2022, though they could return temporarily during the following winter. Unfortunately for people in NYC and LA, I think some restrictions might persist for the next 2+ years. Nobody really knows - depends too much on medical and technological advances - and it would be politically damaging to say they will.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:17 AM

6,602 posts, read 4,817,614 times
Quote:
Thank you for the chuckle. Liability? So if Sally breaks a nail because she had to move her desk outside, she'll file a claim with the Dept of Education? Rusted desks? No one is going to leave them out in the rain and I think they have enough smarts to look up in the sky to see if there are rain clouds up above.

I still remember days when we had to move our desks into a circle in the classroom. Getting our fingers pinched because our neighbor slammed their desk into ours. I tell you, the younger generation are a bunch of wimps. Sorry, rusted desks still has me chuckling. smh
Think instead of attacking.

Pre-teens moving heavy equipment long distance (up and down steps in some instances) doesn't sound risky to you? What about interference with other people moving around? And that very likely would be when students need to carry books and other supplies and after class go elsewhere fast. Inevitably, some equipment would be left behind at times, and no, weather isn't always visibly predictable. If not students, who would do it? Staff are much fewer than students. Conclusion, just from that alone: outdoor schooling requires some special equipment. Maybe it can be leased instead of purchased.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:59 AM

6,550 posts, read 6,592,795 times
One of the tragedies of Newsolini's atrocious policies is that the winter surge was really on a thing in poor, overcrowded homes, yet a disproportionate number of people getting vaccinated live in wealthier, unhit areas.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...in-los-angeles

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...e-what-to-know

Old 03-06-2021, 12:56 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,390,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
You hardly explained before. I just read the entire article. Maybe that's the right call for SDUSD, but in LAUSD, with default large class sizes and rarely spare classrooms to alleviate that, I think they have to use outdoor classes sometimes. Dragging equipment outside is rather silly - suppliers sell outdoor fixtures. Electricity shouldn't matter that much, for most devices have batteries and outdoor classes should be restructured to depend less on electronic devices. It might be not be as doable as I think, but I'm sure at least a small percentage of classes can be outside when the weather is okay.

For one, LAUSD and SDUSD tend to mirror each other's decisions, so that covers the two largest districts in the state. They both account for a significant number of schools and students. Also, if you read the first link, you'd see almost everything you've been harping on has been addressed in the decision making.... by a committee of scientists and experts. If you don't want to believe that teaching in a classroom is more than just standing in front of students all day and that it requires more than just bodies and desks, go right ahead. Contrary to what you're saying, I *DID* explain this to you in the past. It's not just weather and power, it's about separating cohorts which is key in preventing outbreaks. That rule doesn't change outside. What's your background in this again??? Because I'm a part of this right now and I see it on a daily basis.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:03 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,390,968 times
Quote:
Buying separate furniture to accommodate outdoor learning is a waste of money. Last time I checked, desks and chairs weren't nailed to the floor. Drag them outside. It'll do the kids good to get a little physical exercise since most schools have eliminated P.E.

I'm not sure where you're hearing PE has been eliminated. It's still a K-12 requirement. As for outdoor classrooms, again, it's been studied and deemed too cumbersome as a broad solution. And it is. The other thing about that idea is that it's been shown (by real scientists) that it's unnecessary because replicating an "outdoor" air situation is possible indoors by use of forced ventilation and filtering, both of which are currently being done.

The biggest issue right now facing schools in terms of reopening is how to manage students access to campus, and on campus, in order to keep them separated into cohorts and individually placed within those cohorts to six foot distances. That's a tougher problem to solve since space is not infinite on any campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California