Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2021, 01:52 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times

Advertisements

Words, words, words. When someone goes on like that, it's usually from desperation to support his or her argument.

Look, 1) schools haven't been open anywhere near capacity in nearly enough affected areas to conclude spread within schools is low-risk and too many other indoor environments indicate spread happens easily and only the smallness of individuals is a reason for optimism (but of course vaccine is a moderate reason for optimism for all environments*).
2) Most students in California live in areas with moderate or high transmission rates (albeit there are wealthy enclaves within many of the hard-hit counties). Either you're in some mostly spared area and rather irrelevant in your comments or you're just way off-base.

*Vaccines, as I posted once this month, aren't for as many people as you or others think. I could ask someone who knows more than me, but my guestimate is least 3% of people get very little immunity from vaccines or are too high-risk to be vaccinated at all, and there will always be a higher percentage than that of adults who refuse to be vaccinated. How can so many intelligent adults swallow the message from leaders and the medical system that the vaccine or any vaccine is a savior? Since when are leaders entirely honest?

Last edited by goodheathen; 03-10-2021 at 02:12 PM..

Old 03-10-2021, 02:34 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Words, words, words. When someone goes on like that, it's usually from desperation to support his or her argument.
...?
Says the poster who has flooded these Covid threads with verbiage 10x more than any other contributors? ....
Roflmfao ...

Old 03-10-2021, 07:44 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
You're supposed to be the professional here, but you express yourself in a peevish way.

I gave that evidence because it happened and it was easy to find. Per TV last fall or winter there was something in Glendale or thereabouts, LAUSD, I think just one school and one administrator, but I couldn't find it. There will be bad apples. There can even be high-powered COVID-denying administrators in left-leaning places like Los Angeles. I said nothing about significant, large-scale falsification or misrepresentation of data and some protocols not being followed properly, but that's always possible and I think rounding down by some schools is happening or will happen. Regular businesses in various industries have been caught underreporting outbreaks. You think if a parent calls in that her or his son has to take a sick day that the school will push for an answer to rule out COVID possibly class-acquired? It might even be against HIPAA to ask or at least to demand more than a doctor's note (not sure what specifics doctors can and are supposed to include therein), which I don't think a school would demand for one typical day out of school. And of course no parent is required to have his or her child officially diagnosed or can necessarily get promptly. Your pet plan has holes, and you're attacking me for noting it.

First, it's not my plan, it's a plan the district devised with input of scientists and professionals. It's also one that has worked since it was implemented in October without an outbreak, or a student contracted case on a campus since then. I've shown you that evidence and you resort to your own cockamamie conspiracy theory with lot's of "this might be" or "I think maybe" language to validate yourself.

Of the reopening plans locally, possibly even statewide, what we've been doing is about as cautious as it comes --perhaps to a fault. Other smaller districts in my area opened up more vigorously and have run into problems for doing so --mainly they've had too many kids intermingling with others on campus at the same time. This is why all the major districts' plans I've mentioned and linked to are pursuing individual, isolated cohorts. If you ever bother to read the links, you might figure out why. And before you say you have, if that was the case, you wouldn't be asking aloud questions about using auditoriums, outdoor classrooms or state-imposed class sizes since those are all answered by the above.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:53 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post

1. In-person remote instruction - The teacher provides 5-6 hours of direct instruction via zoom. Which--from experience, I will tell you is grueling for the teacher and borderline abusive to young students. I never thought I'd see the day where a 6-year-old breaks down crying when given a tablet PC and is told to turn it on. You used to have to use a crowbar to pry those things out of their hands. Guess the love affair between little kids and screens is over.

Contracts vary, but where is this that zoom gets a mandated 5-6 hours? I'm just curious which district you're talking about. It's not that much here, but the time on zoom really isn't the full picture of instruction anyway. Not everybody's kids are with teachers who adapted well to any of this. I feel for them. But I can also tell you the one I'm married to spends way more time in their remote "classroom" than they ever did in real, in-person school. It's this sort of inequity and imbalance that's made DL such a disaster.

For right now though, I only pay attention to what is being done locally and I'm privy to the stuff being bargained at the moment. None of the choices the district has presented are great. In fact, it may mean that some teachers who have returned to an almost all in-person schedule via split cohorts might have to revert to doing more zoom because of it. To me, that would be the worst thing ever.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
First, it's not my plan, it's a plan the district devised with input of scientists and professionals. It's also one that has worked since it was implemented in October without an outbreak, or a student contracted case on a campus since then. I've shown you that evidence and you resort to your own cockamamie conspiracy theory with lot's of "this might be" or "I think maybe" language to validate yourself.
There's no conspiracy theory. All I ever insisted is that there aren't 0 cases. Ignorance of actual cases (formally diagnosed or not) isn't bliss.

Quote:
Of the reopening plans locally, possibly even statewide, what we've been doing is about as cautious as it comes --perhaps to a fault. Other smaller districts in my area opened up more vigorously and have run into problems for doing so --mainly they've had too many kids intermingling with others on campus at the same time. This is why all the major districts' plans I've mentioned and linked to are pursuing individual, isolated cohorts. If you ever bother to read the links, you might figure out why. And before you say you have, if that was the case, you wouldn't be asking aloud questions about using auditoriums, outdoor classrooms or state-imposed class sizes since those are all answered by the above.
I don't remember any links with info about auditoriums or class sizes (except the one I found myself). I didn't say I read everything closely. I have read enough about outdoor classes and equipment to know it can be done. I do not have to agree with the plan you endorse. I never argued against cohorts; the logic behind it is self-evident. You unsurprisingly ignored my comment about hallways.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:06 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Contracts vary, but where is this that zoom gets a mandated 5-6 hours? I'm just curious which district you're talking about. It's not that much here, but the time on zoom really isn't the full picture of instruction anyway. Not everybody's kids are with teachers who adapted well to any of this. I feel for them. But I can also tell you the one I'm married to spends way more time in their remote "classroom" than they ever did in real, in-person school. It's this sort of inequity and imbalance that's made DL such a disaster.

For right now though, I only pay attention to what is being done locally and I'm privy to the stuff being bargained at the moment. None of the choices the district has presented are great. In fact, it may mean that some teachers who have returned to an almost all in-person schedule via split cohorts might have to revert to doing more zoom because of it. To me, that would be the worst thing ever.
Our local charter school is doing 5 hour marathon zooms and has said they will be DL for the rest of the school gear. My kids school is doing an hour or so zoom and putting the rest on caregivers because it's a magnet school and they know the caregivers will make it happen. They also aggressively reopened for hybrid.

As I've said, our teacher is going above and beyond. I'm sure most are. Unfortunately DLing doesn't work, so they're all
ring forced to work harder, not smarter.

Old 03-11-2021, 04:50 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
And this is where I opined that your offense (at your synagogue opting to deny rabbinical service due to your sister-in-law’s arrival, untested from California) is misplaced social outrage ... because your synagogue was simply conforming to strict interpretation of medical scientific advisory.
Now, that all said, the rest of your response gets a thumbs up.

My personal agreement
We almost always disagree. Thanks for the gracious response in spite of that. And my fault is with a synagogue, that takes a little more than $4000 a year in dues, taking the strictest possible interpretation of rules that are basically Draconian. And thanks for the observation that there are more productive ventures than " look(ing) for subliminal (racial) messages in children's literature." There are thing in life that are just not that important.

Old 03-11-2021, 04:52 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
I think most statewide restrictions will be gone by April 2022, though they could return temporarily during the following winter. Unfortunately for people in NYC and LA, I think some restrictions might persist for the next 2+ years. Nobody really knows - depends too much on medical and technological advances - and it would be politically damaging to say they will.
That's a nice way of saying "no more symphony orchestras or operas." I guess we cancel Mozart and Beethoven too, with the reason being coronavirus rather than race. Life gets pretty boring in a hurry.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That's a nice way of saying "no more symphony orchestras or operas." I guess we cancel Mozart and Beethoven too, with the reason being coronavirus rather than race. Life gets pretty boring in a hurry.
"Life gets pretty boring in a hurry" for most people if they have to attend a symphony concert or opera.

It's almost true that symphony orchestras can't happen in person for a long time. Typical stage and seating set-ups don't work. But I'm sure that someone willing to break tradition can come up with something that less traditional fans would pay to attend. Dying traditions dying a little faster now. 1 in maybe 10000 people would gladly risk his or her health to attend one of those.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:37 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
"Life gets pretty boring in a hurry" for most people if they have to attend a symphony concert or opera.

It's almost true that symphony orchestras can't happen in person for a long time. Typical stage and seating set-ups don't work. But I'm sure that someone willing to break tradition can come up with something that less traditional fans would pay to attend. Dying traditions dying a little faster now. 1 in maybe 10000 people would gladly risk his or her health to attend one of those.
If one is limiting themselves California maybe. I'm willing to travel however. There are raves and music fests happening as soon as April in other parts of the country. Later this year many events have been recently announced in Europe and Mexico. I'll be at a few of those at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California