Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2021, 07:17 AM

3 posts, read 1,711 times

Advertisements

It's amazing that barely anyone mentions prior infection from any discussion related to immunity. All of a sudden ordinary people are experts in health and vaccines, and pushing everyone to get a shot still under clinical trials, yet do not have a basic understanding of how the immune system works. The human body remembers prior infections and covid is no different.

Millions of people were infected without symptoms or mild symptoms (remember??), and not everyone bothered to get a test for various reasons. Logically, wouldn't we already have reached herd immunity long ago, and the hospitalization and death counts are much lower, relative to a significantly higher and unknown infection count?

I want to know when we can have a reliable test to determine prior infection and how mild a future infection will be. If millions originally felt nothing or a mild cold or some loss of smell, then wouldn't another infection be even less serious? If you never had an infection then how much does age play a role when being infected for the first time at this point?

I want answers to questions like this, not free tacos or chance to win laker tickets. If the answer is "we don't know" then that's not good enough since the same can be said about the vaccines. The fact that important questions aren't being addressed is causing people to mistrust the system even more.

Old 06-15-2021, 07:33 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,275,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff.g View Post
It's amazing that barely anyone mentions prior infection from any discussion related to immunity. All of a sudden ordinary people are experts in health and vaccines, and pushing everyone to get a shot still under clinical trials, yet do not have a basic understanding of how the immune system works. The human body remembers prior infections and covid is no different.

Millions of people were infected without symptoms or mild symptoms (remember??), and not everyone bothered to get a test for various reasons. Logically, wouldn't we already have reached herd immunity long ago, and the hospitalization and death counts are much lower, relative to a significantly higher and unknown infection count?

I want to know when we can have a reliable test to determine prior infection and how mild a future infection will be. If millions originally felt nothing or a mild cold or some loss of smell, then wouldn't another infection be even less serious? If you never had an infection then how much does age play a role when being infected for the first time at this point?

I want answers to questions like this, not free tacos or chance to win laker tickets. If the answer is "we don't know" then that's not good enough since the same can be said about the vaccines. The fact that important questions aren't being addressed is causing people to mistrust the system even more.
Great point. One of the posters here said he had Covid. He doesn’t need the vaccine, but no one is talking about that. But if you want more information, don’t bow the knee and roll up the sleeve, you’re an “anti-vaxxer”.

And yes, I’m sure there will be posts that say the natural immunity doesn’t last. Well neither does the vaccine. And that’s why they’re talking about boosters.

Some of us don’t run to the doctor at every ache and pain and want some more answers and testing before considering the vaccine.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:57 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
A few thousand new cases each week in a city would be worse than anywhere in the USA a year ago (and probably more transmission than all but the common cold in the colder months). Los Angeles has many virus-friendly factors, which I've detailed before. In my opinion, mask compliance is one of the only things in LA that has kept cases from increasing quickly in most of the periods since the pandemic began. I can't see less than 60% fully vaccinated (in effect less, due to some under-responders to the vaccine) being enough to counteract the disuse of masks for long. Once people head back indoors most of the time due to cooling weather and vaccines start to wear off, Los Angeles heads in a hellish direction. Edit: but if most children can be vaccinated in the fall, maybe that keeps a new wave from happening.
No it wouldn't. Go to the NYT Covid dashboard and you can look at historical case rates by day for any county in the US. I just looked at Cook County since it's the second most populated county after LA, its 7-day average case rate was over double a year ago what LA County's is right now with over a 5% positivity rate, over 5x LA's current one. You clearly don't even look at the data and are just assuming that.

It simply amazes me what people convince themselves of to keep these restrictions and their unnecessary mask wearing going. Just admit it's a security blanket instead of lying about the data and making these doomsday predictions as a reason to keep it.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
It must still be pretty bad in the LA area. I feel bad for them but glad I'm several hundred miles away. Things around here are loosening up. More people going maskless but still keeping a safe enough distance. I can go for that but the mask has got to go!
It's not though, they were one of the first large counties to reach the yellow tier a while ago. My county, Contra Costa, never even made it there. LA County's metrics are pretty good right now.

Last edited by sav858; 06-15-2021 at 09:08 AM..

Old 06-15-2021, 09:32 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's not though, they were one of the first large counties to reach the yellow tier a while ago. My county, Contra Costa, never even made it there. LA County's metrics are pretty good right now.
My county just recently made it into the yellow tier too so I know what you mean. My mistake about the LA area. With all the gloom and doom from people here who live in that area, I thought it was worse than it is. Being that I don't live close to that area, I have no way of knowing what's real or speculation. Other areas of the state are experiencing different things so I can't really say what works for their area. We seem to be doing fine. I think everyone in my city are elated to see restrictions being lifted. One thing I notice now is stores are noisier with the chatter among shoppers. It was pretty quiet for a long time. The things you notice when life is strange.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:30 AM

Never forget....especially when it comes to the recall election

Opinion: As California reopens, do not forget these three mistakes on COVID-19

However, the general perception that more restrictive measures throughout the pandemic kept Californians safe is not reflected in our difficult third surge, nor the mental health effects on California’s children of prolonged school closures. On this reopening day, it is important to reflect on three mistakes California made in the hopes that more data-driven approaches can be applied to guide us safely out of the pandemic completely.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:39 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,877,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No it wouldn't. Go to the NYT Covid dashboard and you can look at historical case rates by day for any county in the US. I just looked at Cook County since it's the second most populated county after LA, its 7-day average case rate was over double a year ago what LA County's is right now with over a 5% positivity rate, over 5x LA's current one. You clearly don't even look at the data and are just assuming that.

It simply amazes me what people convince themselves of to keep these restrictions and their unnecessary mask wearing going. Just admit it's a security blanket instead of lying about the data and making these doomsday predictions as a reason to keep it.
I'll let someone else point out historical statements re veracity....

I compared LA to a city, because it is de facto city. Cook County, which I had to look up, is far from a city and there's this....
The Cook County Department of Corrections is the largest single-site jail in the nation at ninety-six acres, housing approximately 7500 individuals in custody.

I vaguely remember something and without even looking it up, I will assume that there was a COVID-19 outbreak in the prison system a year. It's much worse to have a large number of infections in the free population, and Los Angeles has had one of the highest average case numbers for a long, long time. It adds up to worrying, and it did explode in the winter.

And why couldn't another regional wave happen? It's expected in the UK.
https://www.foxnews.com/health/uk-su...-delta-variant

Old 06-15-2021, 10:50 AM

4,316 posts, read 6,279,681 times
My wife went grocery shopping this morning. She said that it was a mix between those wearing vs not wearing masks.

She struck up a conversation with a couple employees who said they're terrified of the easing of mask restrictions. They have no idea who's vaccinated vs not and they're not allowed to ask the customers. These people are not well off and have to commute from Oakland for work, due to the high cost of living in my area.

I feel very badly for those who are forced to put themselves at further risk because many folks don't want to get vaccinated nor wear a mask.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I'll let someone else point out historical statements re veracity....

I compared LA to a city, because it is de facto city. Cook County, which I had to look up, is far from a city and there's this....
The Cook County Department of Corrections is the largest single-site jail in the nation at ninety-six acres, housing approximately 7500 individuals in custody.

I vaguely remember something and without even looking it up, I will assume that there was a COVID-19 outbreak in the prison system a year. It's much worse to have a large number of infections in the free population, and Los Angeles has had one of the highest average case numbers for a long, long time. It adds up to worrying, and it did explode in the winter.

And why couldn't another regional wave happen? It's expected in the UK.
https://www.foxnews.com/health/uk-su...-delta-variant
So basically you just make up stats and hope they are right? Wow....

How is LA County a "de facto city"? Much of it is empty mountains and high desert as compared to Cook County which is mostly developed with a higher density closer to that of an actual city. Over twice the density of LA County in fact.

Not sure what that jail site has to do with anything....

The UK also delayed second doses for people which we did not. Their population isn't as protected.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
My wife went grocery shopping this morning. She said that it was a mix between those wearing vs not wearing masks.

She struck up a conversation with a couple employees who said they're terrified of the easing of mask restrictions. They have no idea who's vaccinated vs not and they're not allowed to ask the customers. These people are not well off and have to commute from Oakland for work, due to the high cost of living in my area.

I feel very badly for those who are forced to put themselves at further risk because many folks don't want to get vaccinated nor wear a mask.
Were the employees vaccinated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California