Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2021, 08:52 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
police, firefighters = less educated = distrustful/ignorant about science = vaccine hestiancy
Here is some woke kookness right here.. until you need a cop...

Old 06-20-2021, 12:19 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times
Police rarely are highly educated. Basic college degree I think is required in many big-city departments, nothing more than that anywhere I'm almost sure. I don't think lack of education is a full explanation, for that still puts cops and firefighters (probably just a high school degree required) ahead of the many high school dropouts, for example. Bravado is big in law enforcement. "I'm tough. I don't need no mask or vaccine." But that's stupid, even dumber than thinking muscle will protect against a bullet. A virus doesn't care about someone's attitude; only someone's health and exposure level matter early on. Law enforcement and dedicated weightlifters basically have the same personalities (with exceptions for people like me and models). Hence, my concern with my own exposure at the gym.

Last edited by goodheathen; 06-20-2021 at 12:40 AM..

Old 06-20-2021, 05:09 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Hence, my concern with my own exposure at the gym.
If you are vaccinated why are you worried? I am vaccinated and if other people don't vaccinate I could care less, except as a concerned citizen.

Old 06-20-2021, 06:51 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If you are vaccinated why are you worried? I am vaccinated and if other people don't vaccinate I could care less, except as a concerned citizen.
Could be the result of the media promoting fear for over a year now.

I was listening to the radio the other day and they were talking about a recent news article on the Delta variant. The headline just said Delta was 70% more contagious (or whatever). Down in the article it mentioned the vaccines are effective against it. You would think the headline could read “Delta more contagious, but vaccines effective.”

Looking at comments here and talking to people I know, many say they continue to wear a mask after vaccination because of the variants. Probably the same with our charming friend here.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:26 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The "concerned citizen" aspect of the virus continuing to spread might be a factor for many, not to mention all the unvaccinated people out there, including kids under 12.

From the linked article, “We often interact with people who are high-risk or maybe can’t get vaccinated because they have cancer or have immune system problems,” said Arthur Caplan, founding director of the division of medical ethics at New York University’s Grossman School of Medicine. “We have to remember: We get vaccinated for others, too.”

Unvaccinated officers leave the public, the community and taxpayers at risk from both the virus and from officers calling in sick or having to quarantine, said Edwin Ramirez, a community activist in Pacoima.

Old 06-20-2021, 08:30 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I was listening to the radio the other day and they were talking about a recent news article on the Delta variant. The headline just said Delta was 70% more contagious (or whatever). Down in the article it mentioned the vaccines are effective against it. You would think the headline could read “Delta more contagious, but vaccines effective.”
Read the National Geographic article linked in post #7205 about the Delta variant.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:10 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,450,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
This is amazing. I wonder what their reasons are for not being vaccinated.

Despite the priority access and array of incentives, vaccination rates for police, fire and corrections agencies across L.A. and California have lagged well behind the state’s average for adult residents, according to a survey of agencies conducted by The Times.

While about 72% of adult Californians and 64% of Los Angeles residents 16 and older have received at least one vaccine dose, only about 51% of city firefighters and 52% of LAPD officers are at least partially vaccinated.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...rawing-concern

I have a friend and family member in both those agencies and both have had covid already. That may be part of the reason for some, I don't know. If you've had it and survived, the sense of urgency to get vaccinated might not be there. A lot of people in emergency services were exposed early on because of the nature of the business. For the record, the ones I know are vaccinated.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:17 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,450,423 times
Quote:
Read the National Geographic article linked in post #7205 about the Delta variant.

With everyone paying so much attention to it now, I'm confident we'll see a trend or uptick before it becomes a full-blown surge that we lose control over. It doesn't look like it's happening yet although I agree we should be vigilant considering there's still a vulnerable group who aren't cleared to be vaccinated yet.

The next novel virus/pandemic is what worries me more. We seem to be in a five to seven year cycle of new global health threats. We dodged two coronavirus bullets before we got nailed with this last one, along with pandemic flu variants along the way. It would be nice to think the next big thing will be dealt with better than a color code chart and a blanket shutdown order.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
I have a friend and family member in both those agencies and both have had covid already. That may be part of the reason for some, I don't know. If you've had it and survived, the sense of urgency to get vaccinated might not be there. A lot of people in emergency services were exposed early on because of the nature of the business. For the record, the ones I know are vaccinated.
LAPD and San Diego personnel are probably moderately different demographically, if you know what I mean. I assume you're referring to SD individuals. I think vaccine hesitancy is the main issue with law enforcement people not getting the vaccine. It's not like the SoCal agencies aren't pushing their employees to get jabbed.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Requires registration to read much, FYI.

I'm not going to repeat my reasons to my critics of sorts who think I shouldn't worry in the gym. If my immunity to asymptomatic or mild infection is as low as 60% (no way to know), of course I should be concerned (not that I have much concern with developing health problems from infection). Nobody answered my hypothetical about attending a party with many unvaccinated, unmasked people, nor commented on the new vaccine that failed its trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California