Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2021, 10:57 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times

Advertisements

Well. Apparently this new strain - Delta - is moving across the country and fully vaccinated people are getting sick. So much for vaccinations, I guess. Better be a little cautious and wear your mask if you happen to be around a large number of people. Take care, everyone.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/b...135926196.html

Old 06-29-2021, 02:59 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times
It would be dumb to ignore the potential of the latest strain but so far it seems the two-dose vaccines are holding their own against it. The data from the UK shows breakthrough cases in those who only received one of two shots. The problem remains that the vaccine isn't available to everyone yet and the highest risk group has now been flipped on its head from when we started.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:19 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
It would be dumb to ignore the potential of the latest strain but so far it seems the two-dose vaccines are holding their own against it. The data from the UK shows breakthrough cases in those who only received one of two shots.
I'm not seeing that. From the articles linked in post #7305 as well as the information below, there have been multiple deaths of fully vaccinated people over the age 50 from the Delta variant.

"Of those who were fully vaccinated who caught the Delta variant, 50 died, data from Public Health England that was published on Friday indicated."

https://www.businessinsider.com/vacc...uk-data-2021-6

https://assets.publishing.service.go...riefing_17.pdf

Old 06-29-2021, 06:54 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
It would be dumb to ignore the potential of the latest strain but so far it seems the two-dose vaccines are holding their own against it. The data from the UK shows breakthrough cases in those who only received one of two shots. The problem remains that the vaccine isn't available to everyone yet and the highest risk group has now been flipped on its head from when we started.
I wonder if this is the same information I heard last night on the news. Apparently, two separate drugs - one from (I hope I've got this correct) Pfizer, the other Moderna, in combination are supposed to provide full immunity. The story was so brief, I didn't catch it all but it sounds promising.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:01 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times
I have a feeling they will lock people down and bring the restrictions back in a heartbeat. Its not a matter of if but a matter of when. Some parts such as LA seems already hinting at bringing back restrictions already. It’s happening in many of the world even places much more vaccinated than the most vaccinated states. They are only loosening it up temporarily due to political pressure and tricking people into believing that their dracon rules the past resolved it and people can go back to normal lives again. Thus forget about the recall. We now live in a world where jurisdictions around the world literally enters a surreal rule by decree model and anything that they don’t allow specifically is forbidden.
Corporates who commoners depend on play the COVID card to farther keep more money in their pockets and cut back on betray their loyal customers.

I fear the new regime(cure) around the world seems much worse than the disease itself and the fallout can be many many times it. Worse than the overreaction to terrorist attacks in the 1990s, 9/11 and since.

Quote:
But is that policy because of covid? Like I was saying, there's no real guidance anybody is following for this at the state level. Our lost and found procedure remains completely normal, nobody treats anything like toxic waste. Throughout the pandemic, I never once heard anything about it in all the requisite trainings we had to do for the limited reopening in the Fall when other procedures were still super cautious.
Ridiculous as I mentioned above different venues play the Covid card each in their own
Interpretation to cut costs. Today SAN lost and found is a total night mare these days. They now decide whether your item can be held or not. And there is absolutely no way to reach them in person. Apparently the traffic enforcement handles in person inquires, and if one can reach them in person they will say CDC forbids them to keep things like clothing for lost and found. I will not want to fly in or out or SAN anytime soon. My jacket mysteriously disappeared recently don’t know if someone took it off the X-ray belt by mistake, we were all in a rush to make the plane, but SAN personnel were completely unhelpful.

Venue will just claim they are following CDC guidelines in crafting their new policies possibly nonexistent guidelines. Just like back when airlines and different venues each made up their own security policies but claim that they are just follow federal security guidelines.

Edit: I am just thinking some places and people seem to like the benefits given by the government they don’t want to make the effort to work during difficult times. Apparently it might not be cost effective to open at 20% capacity and so many rules. The old bowling alley in question had barely four lanes being bowled upon max on most hours most days. They and some businesses seem to have no desire to reopen ever since March of 2020 until all restrictions were removed supposingly once in for all on June 15th. Thus I think they make more in grant money. Just like some people I heard who likely make more with various grants unemployed than working.
A major mall I heard costs $100,000 a month to upkeep. That’s why buyers of dead malls often cannot wait to demolish them even if they were freshly renovated not so long ago. Thus I am surprised malls especially those which were lightly trafficed before the lockdown can make a comeback these days. Thus I think they must had a good amount assistance last year to keep them afloat at least. Who knows the fallout of 2020 May eventuallly kill them in a few years. Only time could tell. Nowadays people go back to them because of lockdown fatigue. Tired of only shopping online.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 07-01-2021 at 07:29 AM..

Old 07-01-2021, 10:38 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
Why must is always be a conspiracy? Lockdowns aren't returning to the USA unless vaccines become very ineffective. If people didn't throw fits about masks and being asked to prove vaccination status - and hence the pandering dumping of almost all restrictions - this would already be nearly guaranteed to be free of significant problems until vaccines wear off.

Old 07-01-2021, 11:07 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Why must is always be a conspiracy? Lockdowns aren't returning to the USA unless vaccines become very ineffective. If people didn't throw fits about masks and being asked to prove vaccination status - and hence the pandering dumping of almost all restrictions - this would already be nearly guaranteed to be free of significant problems until vaccines wear off.
I don't know, I've never seen anything like it in my life. I have friends and even a few family members who I formerly thought were sane referring to Covid as a "plandemic" and talking about how they will inject us with a tracking device or even more bizarre that the vaccine will make us sterile (which might be a good thing if only the nutters ended up unable to have kids)

Old 07-01-2021, 11:17 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
The worst thing is that lost and found procedures are tightened greatly, now facilities ranging from public pools and airports are very discretionary in what they will safekeep if they find it and what they will treat as biohazard waste immediately. Meaning the chances one would relocate their lost item had just became slimmer. Despite California and other general common laws giving a standard duty of care for those who found lost items to make an attempt to locate the owner first before being allowed to dispose of, donate, give away, sell, or keep the item.
I have no idea what you are talking about, no laws regarding found property have been changed. Maybe we could understand this better if you gave a 'real life' example

Old 07-01-2021, 12:43 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Why must is always be a conspiracy? Lockdowns aren't returning to the USA unless vaccines become very ineffective.
Pfizer is 88% effective against Delta. US hospitalizations continue to trend down are now down 89% from peak levels. US weekly deaths are down over 90% from peak. There's no data at this point that suggest we need to reverse any lockdown, or change mask requirements.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:10 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times
What about the UK and several other countries that are much more vaccinated than the US? Over 80% I heard. Then how come they are still in the Jungle of lockdowns, restrictions, and spikes? i hear the UK uses the same vaccines as the US I am not sure about other countries in the world but seems the case in the UK.

Cases are already taking a uturn and rising daily in San Diego county due to the new variant based on the local news sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California