Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2021, 02:57 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG55 View Post
I usually use these forums to get recommendations for restaurants, etc, but thought I’d join and post.

The problem with the vaccine is that it’s been so politicized. When Trump was in office and word of the vaccine came out, many Democratic politicians immediately attacked it. Biden and Harris said they would be hesitant to take it. The videos are online. Cuomo and Newsom both said they wouldn’t allow it in their states. Newsom wanted to have a panel review it before he would accept it. The second Trump was out of office, that all changed. Then it was a big push to get it and everything was fine.

There’s also a lot of misinformation out there from the unvaccinated side. I have family members that were constantly sending me articles and videos about how bad the vaccine was, it’s population control, sterilization, etc. When you did your own research, it didn’t hold up.

Two of the big ones were that all animals used in trials died and that’s it’s still being tested. I was sent links, but did my own research. There was a trial of mRNA in which the vaccine did damage the lungs of mice. The researchers killed the mice for study. However, it wasn’t THIS vaccine, it was a completely different and the mice were killed by the researchers, not the vaccine.

The other one sent to me was that it was still being tested. I received a link to a study. Sure enough, the study goes through 2023. However, it’s a Kaiser study of the vaccine, not anything to do with the original development.

I did my research, talked to my doctor and got my first Pfizer shot in April. I just had a minor sore arm from both shots.

There’s a lot of animosity toward the unvaccinated and I get that. However, the threats and anger is just going to make them dig in.

The Texas and Florida governors have said they recommended the vaccine but left it up to the people. In my opinion, the best way to get more people on board is to have something like a joint statement or conference, let’s say the governors of California, Texas, Florida and New York. If they say it was politicized and shouldn’t have been, we were wrong to do that, but we all agree the vaccine helps, I think it would go a long way to get this back on track. Of course that will never happen.

Just my 2 cents.
I don't care if the unvaccinated get butt hurt or angry and dig in, I don't owe them anything. They are causing this mess and I have zero sympathy for them. I don't even think taxpayers should be on the hook for their medical bills when they catch Covid. They made their bed, let them sleep in it.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:02 PM

118 posts, read 66,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
“Move on?” Says the poster who has been ragging on the one other over and over and over and over again. Lmfao. You move on. That’s the point. No, it’s not opinion. I didn’t call her a “positive poster.” I said, correctly, that CA4Now is an excellent contributor with many positive postings along with all sorts of other interesting links and material … yes, including negative reports to consider along with all others. Postings are searchable. Archived. Review of her posts would prove my position. You are the “new poster” attacking long standing members with excellent records.
I haven’t “attacked” anyone. I pointed out that her posts are mostly fear based and negative.

She also dismissed statistics, denied it and then went silent when I pointed out her error in denying it. That’s not an attack. Every poster here is free to question or dispute other posts. You done it many times to many different people. Are you “attacking” them?

I really don’t care how long someone has been a member. If you don’t like my posts, feel free to hit the ignore button.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't care if the unvaccinated get butt hurt or angry and dig in, I don't owe them anything. They are causing this mess and I have zero sympathy for them. I don't even think taxpayers should be on the hook for their medical bills when they catch Covid. They made their bed, let them sleep in it.
Do you feel the same way about the open border? People pouring across with no tests and who knows how many positive cases.

In San Diego, they kicked out homeless Americans to make way for illegal immigrant children. Later almost 100 were tested positive. Maybe you all should start looking at that, but since it’s a Democratic President, you’ll probably let it slide.

And don’t worry, I have zero sympathy for you too.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:08 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
“Move on?” Says the poster who has been ragging on the one other over and over and over and over again. Lmfao. You move on. That’s the point. No, it’s not opinion. I didn’t call her a “positive poster.” I said, correctly, that CA4Now is an excellent contributor with many positive postings along with all sorts of other interesting links and material … yes, including negative reports to consider along with all others. Postings are searchable. Archived. Review of her posts would prove my position. You are the “new poster” attacking long standing members with excellent records.
Those are opinion words.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9988 View Post
Statistics from the CDC on a breakdown of deaths by age, for one.
That's an odd way to decide you won't take a vaccine. Do you go for long walks during lightning storms because hardly anyone is struck by lightning?

Old 08-05-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Do you feel the same way about the open border? People pouring across with no tests and who knows how many positive cases.

In San Diego, they kicked out homeless Americans to make way for illegal immigrant children. Later almost 100 were tested positive. Maybe you all should start looking at that, but since it’s a Democratic President, you’ll probably let it slide.

And don’t worry, I have zero sympathy for you too.
That has nothing to do with what I said & please don't try to start political arguments here, there's a forum specifically for that and I'm sure you will encounter a large number of like minded people there.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:36 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
A cumulative 9% drop in efficacy over six months doesn't sound worrisome. We were warned from the beginning there might be a need for boosters.

eta: helpful link
That's overall effectiveness. It projects worse against the Delta variant. If it's only 70% effective against that at the 6-month mark, that's not good and the pandemic keeps going even if we reach nominal herd immunity.

Quote:
You said it was indicative that "Therefore, of course breakthrough cases are becoming not rare." Nobody, especially big pharma, are saying that or even implying that. Vaccine makers didn't have to say that breakthrough cases were possible, it's written right into the efficacy numbers, none of which were ever 100%. CDC said from the get go too that the vaccinated could spread the virus still. None of this is revelatory. If it's true that the Moderna version has a better long term track record than their rivals, then I suspect that will become a marketing angle (which is how that entire article reads).
It is slanted as marketing, yes. I do not remember the CDC saying vaccinated people could spread the virus, and if it did, politicians and the media didn't mention it until recently.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
That's an odd way to decide you won't take a vaccine. Do you go for long walks during lightning storms because hardly anyone is struck by lightning?
Deaths from flu are minimal for certain age groups. Same with Covid. Many people don’t get the flu shot if they’re not high risk. Same with Covid. Certain people have a higher risk than others and should get vaccinated. There’s a vast difference between a healthy 16 year old with no underlying conditions and a 70 year old that’s obese with hypertension and diabetes. Understand?

How strange that you don’t get that. Maybe you should spend more time educating yourself on subjects such as what high and low risk groups are and how it pertains to medicine.

Certain people are more at risk. Simple as that.

Quote:
That has nothing to do with what I said & please don't try to start political arguments here, there's a forum specifically for that and I'm sure you will encounter a large number of like minded people there.
It has everything to do with what you said. You’re blaming a certain group of people for the current surge while completely ignoring another. Not that I expect anything less. Nice attempt at deflection though.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:43 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
That's overall effectiveness. It projects worse against the Delta variant. If it's only 70% effective against that at the 6-month mark, that's not good and the pandemic keeps going even if we reach nominal herd immunity.

It is slanted as marketing, yes. I do not remember the CDC saying vaccinated people could spread the virus, and if it did, politicians and the media didn't mention it until recently.

I think although the CDC had stated it was possible for vaccinated people to spread the virus, what changed was they now think vacicnated can spread the virus more easily then they thought before......due to high viral load when infected with Delta variant. I would keep in mind what stated in the link below is a forecast or if you wish, just a possibility at this point......time will tell

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/01/healt...ntl/index.html

Old 08-05-2021, 03:56 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,874,287 times
Quote:
Deaths from flu are minimal for certain age groups. Same with Covid. Many people don’t get the flu shot if they’re not high risk. Same with Covid. Certain people have a higher risk than others and should get vaccinated. There’s a vast difference between a healthy 16 year old with no underlying conditions and a 70 year old that’s obese with hypertension and diabetes. Understand?

How strange that you don’t get that. Maybe you should spend more time educating yourself on subjects such as what high and low risk groups are and how it pertains to medicine.

Certain people are more at risk. Simple as that.

No, not as simple as that, because the sheer nastiness and contagiousness of at least the Delta variant makes it a threat (usually non-lethal) to everyone, except maybe most recently fully vaccinated people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California