Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2021, 09:59 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
This is good news. The FDA is about to authorize a booster vaccine for people with weak immune systems. I hope we'll soon see a nasal vaccine, too, but for now, even a vaccine for the immune-suppressed is good. I know this is one of the reasons some are hesitant to get vaccinated. They've read the documentation about what could happen if they at risk. Maybe this will be the catalyst they need.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fd...ts-11628778775

Along those lines, is this article I see posted today

https://www.axios.com/vaccine-effica...201f031f7.html

one quote from the article:

"Where it stands: All of the vaccines continue to offer almost 100% protection against death, and extremely strong protection against serious illness. Those findings have stayed consistent across the whole world.
  • But a growing body of research shows that the vaccines are losing some potency against milder infections.
  • At an individual level, that’s not a huge deal. But on a population level, it has tremendous consequences, as the data also suggests that people with breakthrough cases can effectively transmit the virus."

Old 08-12-2021, 12:19 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
At some point loss of potency will rise to loss of protection against major complications. I've been anticipating since the winter that for many people it will be late this year, which would be the worst possible time.
"Population level" includes problems like employee shortages, with impacts like longer delivery times. It would help if someday Uber, UPS, etc. require all their drivers to be vaccinated.

Old 08-12-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
At some point loss of potency will rise to loss of protection against major complications. I've been anticipating since the winter that for many people it will be late this year, which would be the worst possible time.
"Population level" includes problems like employee shortages, with impacts like longer delivery times. It would help if someday Uber, UPS, etc. require all their drivers to be vaccinated.

We are in a better place then we were last year and it seems that the FDA is on the verge of authorizing a booster shot.....for some and I would imagine if the need arises, the booster authorization could be expanded to more people

Old 08-12-2021, 04:26 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
Here's how to turn anti-vaxxers around:
Haha, you'd think. Maybe more places need to do this around the nation: Hustler Club to give out free COVID vaccines, shots of booze on Bourbon Street

Old 08-12-2021, 06:12 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
We are in a better place then we were last year and it seems that the FDA is on the verge of authorizing a booster shot.....for some and I would imagine if the need arises, the booster authorization could be expanded to more people
Yes, that will happen, but many people will be too lazy or confused to get boosters.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:00 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Haha, you'd think. Maybe more places need to do this around the nation: Hustler Club to give out free COVID vaccines, shots of booze on Bourbon Street

Carrot > stick.
But is that even a good bribe? A shot of presumably house brand liquor in a seedy club? I think I'd hold out for something better. Also, what's to stop people who are already vaccinated from doing this?

Old 08-12-2021, 09:39 PM

19,209 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Good article tikkasf I heard on the news tonight they have a booster that they can give to those with weaker immune systems. The story was so short and more like a blip on the screen, I was hoping they'd repeat in a later broadcast but I missed it.

I'd like to see more development in the nasal vaccine. I think a lot of people might be open to that rather than an injection. As one journalist reported, some people are more fearful of needles than the vaccine. I guess it would be the same sort of thing if one feared spiders or snakes. So a nasal vaccine just might quell their fear.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:02 PM

57 posts, read 24,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Carrot > stick.
But is that even a good bribe? A shot of presumably house brand liquor in a seedy club? I think I'd hold out for something better. Also, what's to stop people who are already vaccinated from doing this?
Sign me up.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:06 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,745,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Carrot > stick.
I agree. Much better than calling all the anti-vaxxers idiots. A new strategy needs to be tried. And I don't think Tik-Tok influencers are going to cut through to either the hardcore conservative right, OR the minority population. That was a complete fail.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:55 PM

Link is from a article in today's newspaper. If you are blocked by a paywall, here is a few quotes from the article:
I think further study is needed before reaching a firm conclusion

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...9-16385466.php

"The work builds on prior studies that have shown that exposure to PM 2.5, which refers to particulate matter that is 2.5 micrometers in size or smaller, compromises people’s immunity and increases susceptibility to COVID-19. It’s also thought that the virus may be spread by the particles.

"The presence of wildfire smoke last year during the pandemic may have been responsible for at least 19,000 additional cases of COVID-19 on the West Coast, and 700 subsequent deaths, a new study shows"

“It’s a horrible combination,” said Francesca Dominici, one of the authors of the study and a biostatistician at Harvard University’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health. “Together, the wildfires and COVID-19 make us even sicker.”

Found the actual study: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/33/eabi8789

Last edited by tikkasf; 08-13-2021 at 04:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California