Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 11:14 AM

456 posts, read 239,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
COVID-19 is far, far more serious than the seasonal flu. There is no comparison. The seasonal flu doesn't wipe out 20 residents at once like it did in the Washington senior home. It's a completely different animal.
It wipes out 300,000 to 650,000 people EVERY single year worldwide. It is far worse than this by exponential amounts if you look at actual numbers

Old 03-21-2020, 11:14 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What do you think he should have done?
Kept it at phase 1 where restaurants bars and theaters are allowed to remain open with distance seating. This will force every restaurant in Ca to close if they don’t get fed aid. BTW is Newsome going to dig into Ca emergency fund to help out the business's he’s ruining I wonder?!? I think this qualifies as a emergency

Old 03-21-2020, 11:42 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
COVID-19 is far, far more serious than the seasonal flu. There is no comparison. The seasonal flu doesn't wipe out 20 residents at once like it did in the Washington senior home. It's a completely different animal.
No it's not. You need to use some common sense and think about it for a second. Millions of people(perhaps even billion of people ) at this point worldwide do not have any symptoms while they have Covid-19 and we somehow know death rate? What is the death rate base on, projections? What are those projection base on? Seeing how many died do not help establish real number as you need to know infection rate. Instead what is being used is hospitalization rate and death rate to come up with a number. So basically we are told % of people that get hospitalized and as result die as result of having this virus.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:17 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
In abstract numbers, people can shrug their shoulders. Is it okay if 2 million Americans die from COVID-19? What about 1 million? Are these numbers still acceptable if it's you or a family member who dies?

I couldn't care less how many people die from the flu every year. This reminds me of a whiny child yelling, "But Bob did it, too!" I don't care about the flu. I care about COVID-19. The comparisons are ridiculous, and yet people still persist.

Again, how many deaths are acceptable? Is it okay to have hundreds of thousands of Americans dying outside of hospitals waiting to get care that isn't available?

Old 03-21-2020, 12:17 PM

"The coronavirus’ death rate may be lower than the World Health Organization (WHO) estimated, research suggests.

They found the average death rate among patients under 30 was 0.3%, rising to 0.5% for those between 30 and 59, and 2.6% for people aged 60 or above.
Overall, they calculated the fatality rate to be 1.4%."

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-c...140843529.html

Old 03-21-2020, 12:18 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
No it's not. You need to use some common sense and think about it for a second. Millions of people(perhaps even billion of people ) at this point worldwide do not have any symptoms while they have Covid-19 and we somehow know death rate? What is the death rate base on, projections? What are those projection base on? Seeing how many died do not help establish real number as you need to know infection rate. Instead what is being used is hospitalization rate and death rate to come up with a number. So basically we are told % of people that get hospitalized and as result die as result of having this virus.
Your consistent little grammatical syntax errors are consistent with English as written by eastern Europeans. Interesting huh? All the prognostications of disaster and social crises. Rioting in the streets. “Locked and loaded” home arsenals. Ad nauseum.

Too ‘effing funny

Old 03-21-2020, 12:18 PM

456 posts, read 239,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
In abstract numbers, people can shrug their shoulders. Is it okay if 2 million Americans die from COVID-19? What about 1 million? Are these numbers still acceptable if it's you or a family member who dies?

I couldn't care less how many people die from the flu every year. This reminds me of a whiny child yelling, "But Bob did it, too!" I don't care about the flu. I care about COVID-19. The comparisons are ridiculous, and yet people still persist.

Again, how many deaths are acceptable? Is it okay to have hundreds of thousands of Americans dying outside of hospitals waiting to get care that isn't available?
Apparently 80,000 per year are acceptable which was my point. Thanks for proving my exact point which is why are we up in arms from 4,000 or so dying but not up in arms over 80,000 dying per year every year for the past 10,20,30+ years?

Point was brought up that because of the unknown they don't know whether this is a 4,000 per year situation or a 400,000 per year situation so that is fair.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post

Are you proposing that if we get really bad flu season that we quarantine a city next time or even a state? That is what basically what you are arguing. Yes the number are high because this is new virus but it's not that deadly. Yes in big picture it seem deadly but we have 327million in USA. 2 million dead is .006 of total population. It's really small number.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:24 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolanders View Post
Apparently 80,000 per year are acceptable which was my point. Thanks for proving my exact point which is why are we up in arms from 4,000 or so dying but not up in arms over 80,000 dying per year every year for the past 10,20,30+ years?
The medical infrastructure we have now serves the diseases and emergencies we’ve dealt with for a long time.

Adding an unknown - but clearly highly contagious and at least significantly mortally dangerous - new disease into the mix can very likely overwhelm the infrastructure. If this happens, a LOT more sick and injured people will suffer from lack of medical care, than just those with this new virus.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:29 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
Thank you for being the voice of reason and logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
The medical infrastructure we have now serves the diseases and emergencies we’ve dealt with for a long time.

Adding an unknown - but clearly highly contagious and at least significantly mortally dangerous - new disease into the mix can very likely overwhelm the infrastructure. If this happens, a LOT more sick and injured people will suffer from lack of medical care, than just those with this new virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California