Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2021, 09:17 PM

6,602 posts, read 4,813,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Let's go further! Sex as a hobby has to stop. Too much STD transmission, not to mention unwanted pregnancies or fraught human-relations.
Casual sex is bad for society in many ways, and STDs are the next viral crisis, when one mutates into a very treatment-resistant, dominant version. The pandemic is the only thing in decades that I know of has put a dent in the trend.
https://www.healio.com/new.s/infecti...ndemic-related decline.
That's a great example of where authoritarian rule would be a positive - Tinder and Grindr banned.

Quote:
Driving as a hobby needs to stop too. Pollution, congestion, global warming. Not to mention traffic-fatalities. Instead, walk, or ride your donkey... I mean, as transportation. Otherwise it would contravene our already-enumerated restriction.
I'm very tired of the driving analogy. I could go into detail about driving safety and more, but regardless of that driving is much more essential to American culture than flying. A halt in most international travel would barely hurt the USA economically, except for some airlines and some sectors of the travel industry. That's why I half-expect the government to create roadblocks to it if the pandemic worsens.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Research into developing a nasal vaccine. I posted a article about 2 months ago regarding researchers at Stanford also working on a nasal vaccine.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2784523
I remember the earlier post. What I read this week is one nasal vaccine in development isn't expected until 2023 We need it much sooner than that. And that's assuming it works well on coming variants.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Why not just use the home tests? If it's solely to make sure you're not sick so you can be around other people, does it need to be on record?
I don't care if it's on record, except I'd want my primary care doc to see the results. At-home would be a positive - avoid the downsides of driving and pandemic human interaction - but there's no chance I'm currently eligible for any free version that gives rapid results. I am willing to pay a little, by the way, which ultimately is the necessary attitude for society to handle the cost of mass testing. The government needs to get it together on testing fast.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:14 PM

2,991 posts, read 1,661,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I don't care if it's on record, except I'd want my primary care doc to see the results. At-home would be a positive - avoid the downsides of driving and pandemic human interaction - but there's no chance I'm currently eligible for any free version that gives rapid results. I am willing to pay a little, by the way, which ultimately is the necessary attitude for society to handle the cost of mass testing. The government needs to get it together on testing fast.
For someone with so many opinions on things you sure don't seem to know how they work. The home tests are $20 for a pack which includes two. That's pretty cheap and they are rapid, results within 15 minutes.

Old 12-15-2021, 11:07 PM

very high-profile new capacity restriction, outside California for now
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sources...230332704.html

Old 12-15-2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
For someone with so many opinions on things you sure don't seem to know how they work. The home tests are $20 for a pack which includes two. That's pretty cheap and they are rapid, results within 15 minutes.
From what I'm finding, it costs a little more than that (and possibly even more, if I have to order online), but point taken and I'm now leaning toward at least having a few on hand if there's a specific reason to test (though if I think I'm infected, I'm trying to arrange a formal test somewhere).

With it not that expensive, local government ought to arrange one free kit for anyone who wants it. I haven't heard of that being done in California yet.

Also, a slightly related thought I had when searching for testing information is that people should bring back pre-event quarantine to deal with Omicron. Testing might not catch it, and of course the idea is to not be positive just before an event.

Old 12-15-2021, 11:17 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,020,237 times
Quote:
very high-profile new capacity restriction, outside California for now
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sources...230332704.html
Chicago: another city that has major crime issues with widespread looting without consequences and murder, mayhem, and assaults spreading into the once safe Magnificent Mile yet the think limiting the number of people in the audience at Bulls Games will stop the spread. Same as California, the law abiding suffer at the restrictions and the thugs get a free pass while Covid spreads.

Old 12-15-2021, 11:25 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,317,893 times
Quote:
I see someone neither reads carefully nor understands the uses of airplanes.

Here's an idea:
Air buses get converted to mostly cargo planes, with just a small number of passengers allowed on them. Federal government can partly subsidize the conversions and operating costs and pay money to laid-off workers, and higher ticket prices can fill the gap.

Also, if they don't already exist, insurance exclusions for disease-related consequences of international travel.

Travel as a hobby has to stop.

Bars don't need to be completely shut. For example, there are outdoor bars, and some bars can be permitted to sell to-go items. And before that, moderate capacity limits are an option.

Europe is moving that way, because for this type of situation authoritarianism works. The USA eventually will do the same, unless major medical advancements arrive first. Already a nice batch of so-called therapeutics are coming. Mix it all with regular testing, and cases will drop dramatically.
I have worked in the airline industry for coming up on two decades. I certainly understand the use of airplanes better than you do. I can tell you dont understand the use of airplanes.

What you want is authoritarianism with you as the ruler. Nothing you describe should ever be allowed in a democracy.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:46 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,926,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpenter858 View Post
I think this actually describes the majority of the country, just different thinking in CA, and in particular the Bay Area. I'm the same as you, but not triple-vaxxed yet. Going to wait and see. I don't buy the Pfizer CEO saying the booster offers 25 times more protection to Omicron than 2 doses. Show me the data. Never will happen because data is being hid. Even if it did, and Omicron ends up being less severe, then I doubt I will get the booster. If it's worse, then I likely will get the booster. I don't believe in putting so much medicine in your body in such a short period of time. Oh, and re-jumble the words and it becomes "moronic," which is exactly what this is.

Why no one is discussing therapeutics is beyond me. Everyone bitched and moaned that Trump survived Covid because of Regeneron, but he was special to be able to receive it and others are not so lucky. So, why hasn't anyone been given this in the early stages? My understanding it is somewhat readily available. I know of my 82 year-old mother's friends who got Covid and were given this in FL. She has more of a life there, than I do here.

I'm staunchly anti-mask for vaccinated people. However, when we were in Mex City in July, I wore my mask everywhere since they were required and it's not my country. But, walking around outside in crowded markets I took it off until I went up to a place and ordered. I think most people would do the same thing.
It's interesting to me that there are folks who dont want the third vax and cite similar reasons about data being hidden, yet were completely okay getting the initial shots. Dont you think data there was hidden? According to the FOIA, pfizer in fact did hide data from the first two shots yet they were not questioned like the boosters are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
What about BLM “protests”? China has ZERO tolerance for ANY crime and that’s why the hard lockdowns worked there. Please explain how the U.S government should enforce Covid restrictions in neighborhoods where crime in normalized and arresting looters results in police being attacked and the police defending themselves results in mass riots? How do we enforce Covid rules in East Oakland when we can’t even keep control on street crime due the same leftist politics that are obsessed with Covid control through punishing the law abiding class?
"Police defending themselves"

Please I saw plenty of videos of police starting the riots by tear gassing and launching rubber bullets into crowds causing dispersements into the streets. Criminals did what they do and took advantage of the chaos the police helped cause.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:54 AM

26,580 posts, read 26,455,782 times
Quote:
With it not that expensive, local government ought to arrange one free kit for anyone who wants it. I haven't heard of that being done in California yet.
No, but you should be able to get tested for free.

"There are no out-of-pocket costs for COVID-19 testing at a testing site. An insured person can get a COVID-19 testPDF when needed by any provider, in or out of their health plan network, at no cost. If you’re uninsured, the government pays for your test.

But there are some COVID-19 tests you do have to pay for:

At-home test kits
Some rapid result tests..."

https://covid19.ca.gov/get-tested/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California