Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2022, 08:16 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times

Advertisements

Herd immunity Magic beans, anyone?

Not everyone will be exposed. Most will eventually, but slower is better, more time for precautions to prevent infection or severity thereof and for currently infected people to recover. Plus, work-from-home plugs much of the non-school loophole that would expose children to the virus. Schools could even imitate USC, which apparently requires most or all visitors to be vaccinated - meaning caretakers who personally transport kids to/from campus would have to be vaxxed. Currently, school campuses open are likely to lead to a new high in community spread. Los Angeles just went down slightly in cases, and it will be virtual proof of long-suspected/deliberately downplayed school-to-beyond transmission if LA cases rise again next week.

Last edited by goodheathen; 01-11-2022 at 08:49 PM..

Old 01-11-2022, 09:54 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Herd immunity Magic beans, anyone?

Not everyone will be exposed. Most will eventually, but slower is better, more time for precautions to prevent infection or severity thereof and for currently infected people to recover. Plus, work-from-home plugs much of the non-school loophole that would expose children to the virus. Schools could even imitate USC, which apparently requires most or all visitors to be vaccinated - meaning caretakers who personally transport kids to/from campus would have to be vaxxed. Currently, school campuses open are likely to lead to a new high in community spread. Los Angeles just went down slightly in cases, and it will be virtual proof of long-suspected/deliberately downplayed school-to-beyond transmission if LA cases rise again next week.
Fully vaxxed are still getting covid. Which means they are still spreading it.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:26 PM

Not spreading Delta at the same rate. Probably not spreading Omicron at the same rate. If there's any lesson from Omicron, it's that speedy spread can cripple society mostly independent of health consequences and therefore anything sensible that slows spread has added value.

Old 01-12-2022, 08:17 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,309,230 times
Interestingly I be curious how come we have these test sites where truely sick people(COVID19 or otherwise), potentially sick people, and healthy people being tested precautionary or due to mandates are forced to mingle for hours especially in cold windy situations. Its just dumb. It appears people would get sick in line unnecessarily whether its by catching COVID from someone else. or a normal cold air related illness. And being out in the wind would prolong someone's cold illness. Anyone whos been sick in any way knows that standing up for long periods of time, especially in the elements/crowds is one of the worst things to do when one should be resting in bed.

Its interesting they used to do drive thru testing but not anymore. Was it because there is no space to handle the line of cars? I.e Malls or stadium parking lots cannot be used because now they have games.

I be curious whether schools and health care facilities or others do their own testing since its mandatory semi regularly? Which makes more sense as opposed to going to a crowded public testing site every time its required.

Old 01-12-2022, 08:45 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, guess what, as predicted Delta hasn't gone away, .
Actually the opposite was predicted and it came true in South Africa.

https://www.livescience.com/omicron-overtaking-delta

Delta is all but gone in South Africa, we still have it here and in the UK but it is on its way out in time:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/c...a?country=~ZAF

Nobody said it would be instantaneous but:

It looks like Omicron antibodies protect against Delta

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/28/h...ies-delta.html

Last edited by As Above So Below...; 01-12-2022 at 08:54 AM..

Old 01-12-2022, 08:51 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

This would be good news

Old 01-12-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Interestingly I be curious how come we have these test sites where truely sick people(COVID19 or otherwise), potentially sick people, and healthy people being tested precautionary or due to mandates are forced to mingle for hours especially in cold windy situations. Its just dumb. It appears people would get sick in line unnecessarily whether its by catching COVID from someone else. or a normal cold air related illness. And being out in the wind would prolong someone's cold illness. Anyone whos been sick in any way knows that standing up for long periods of time, especially in the elements/crowds is one of the worst things to do when one should be resting in bed.

Its interesting they used to do drive thru testing but not anymore. Was it because there is no space to handle the line of cars? I.e Malls or stadium parking lots cannot be used because now they have games.

I be curious whether schools and health care facilities or others do their own testing since its mandatory semi regularly? Which makes more sense as opposed to going to a crowded public testing site every time its required.
There still is some drive-through testing in parts of LA. Including Dodger Stadium, which of course isn't used for baseball now. Of course schools do plenty of testing on-site. I assume that hospitals also do so.

Old 01-12-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Actually the opposite was predicted and it came true in South Africa.

https://www.livescience.com/omicron-overtaking-delta

Delta is all but gone in South Africa, we still have it here and in the UK but it is on its way out in time:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/c...a?country=~ZAF

Nobody said it would be instantaneous but:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/28/h...ies-delta.html
I didn't say Delta-stays was anyone's prediction but mine.

You as usual misrepresent what an article says. "All but gone" is not 20% non-Omicron recently in some parts of South Africa. The Live Science article itself is overconfident about Delta going away. It overlooks for example co-infection. Anyway, the USA fortunately isn't South Africa and a lower percentage of the population will catch Omicron soon (which, yes, I already heard provides broad immunity), while in lower-income areas (with too many vaccine refusers) Delta will persist and probably spread back to other areas due to excessive American mobility.

Old 01-12-2022, 09:22 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,698,539 times
Quote:
For the xth time, I say schools need to bring in dogs. If - with those amazing noses - they can detect Omicron before tests do. In no way will it soon be practical for schools to test every 2-3 days, which sounds like what it would take to stop Omicron outbreaks. If you're a parent of a school-age, campus-attending child, pressure your school to get those dogs.
Also, it is feasible to test school employees more than weekly, because the number of them is much lower than the student body, and that needs to be part of the plan.
Hows the weather out there on planet heathen? Don't give those imaginary kennels full of covid-sniffing dogs any grapes.

It's pretty amazing that, when we had delta and maybe 20-30 cases detected in the community each day, we would get notifications from the school of COVID cases about once or twice a week.

Now, with Omicron basically being a nothingburger, we have 2000+ cases detected in the community every day, but not a single notification from the school, because no one is getting sick enough to test.

In my kids' class, there is only one child out, and he is on an extended family trip to Israel, not sick. I was in as a teacher's aid Monday, and everyone is healthy and happy. Not so much as a cough or a sniffle, even though positivity rate of our tests is 20%.

Everyone has COVID now, just like Fauci says. Planes arriving in Taiwan (where every passenger is tested on arrival now) have a 10% positivity rate ON ARRIVAL, and that's among travelers taking extra precautions, and being screened by getting tested before departure!

Resistance is futile.

Old 01-12-2022, 09:23 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
I didn't say Delta-stays was anyone's prediction but mine.

You as usual misrepresent what an article says. "All but gone" is not 20% non-Omicron recently in some parts of South Africa. The Live Science article itself is overconfident about Delta going away. It overlooks for example co-infection. Anyway, the USA fortunately isn't South Africa and a lower percentage of the population will catch Omicron soon (which, yes, I already heard provides broad immunity), while in lower-income areas (with too many vaccine refusers) Delta will persist and probably spread back to other areas due to excessive American mobility.
Can you site that claim that Delta is 20% of cases in some parts of South Africa? I know that certainly isnt the case in the populated centers but maybe it is in the smaller communities.

High amounts of American mobility will cause Delta to fade faster, not hang around. Its well documented that Omicron and Delta dont co-exist but rather Omicron prevails and Delta fails in time. I know were not there in the US but that should be the case in South Africa, then the UK, and then here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California