Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2020, 10:21 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
The TP could be a good indicator. Oddly enough. Yes, wife went to Target on Fri 13th, no TP, paper towels, bread. I went to Safeway Friday, no TP, paper towels, 3 loaves of bread. We scored when we moved our son out of his dorm in LA, and his roommate had moved and left about 8 rolls of paper towels so that will get us by for a while.

Oh well, let people crucify us. If we get to H1N1 levels, then we’re all likely totally screwed. Market looking to open down another 5% since the futures hit its down limit. Where in Asia? My brother who lives in Hawaii said his in-laws can’t get back to Singapore due to air travel lockdown. Something we should be doing in my opinion, if we’re going to shelter in place why allow air travel into Ca.
At least in Northern Ca, if you go to Target at about 7:45 or 7:50 and wait in line (they open at 8) they have hand sanitizer, water, TP and paper towels, they restock every night. As far as bread, your best bet is to look for a local ethnic grocer, around here the Russian, Ukraine and middle eastern grocery stores all have bread, most of them bake their own bread, or get it from a source that doesn't deliver to major grocers

Old 03-22-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I was the one who blasted Pinsky. But if you were to go back and read what I wrote, I agreed with what Pinsky was saying, as well. What I pilloried him for was being such an opportunistic hypocrite as he had last year gone on a public appearance spree of hyperbolic fear-mongering that the typhus outbreak was going to ravage the city of LA. While he didn’t blame the homeless - in fact he blamed the lack of political will to deal with homelessness - he cited homelessness as the problem. It wasn’t. Nor did the disaster he predicted ever occur. Pinsky’s finger pointing and wagging and fear-mongering and doom prognosticating then was exactly what he just criticized the “experts” and media of doing in this COVID19 crisis. Laughable. In both instances his medical credentials are not epidemiology ... and he is a reality tv showman. This Nobel laureate is a legitimate expert. Even so, he’s not necessarily right. Time will tell. But he is bona fide legitimate to consider. Interesting to read and consider.
Pinsky is out for Pinsky - he tries to put himself in the middle of whatever is newsworthy,he's not an expert and he's generally not to be believed.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:52 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I was the one who blasted Pinsky. But if you were to go back and read what I wrote, I agreed with what Pinsky was saying, as well. What I pilloried him for was being such an opportunistic hypocrite as he had last year gone on a public appearance spree of hyperbolic fear-mongering that the typhus outbreak was going to ravage the city of LA. While he didn’t blame the homeless - in fact he blamed the lack of political will to deal with homelessness - he cited homelessness as the problem. It wasn’t. Nor did the disaster he predicted ever occur. Pinsky’s finger pointing and wagging and fear-mongering and doom prognosticating then was exactly what he just criticized the “experts” and media of doing in this COVID19 crisis. Laughable. In both instances his medical credentials are not epidemiology ... and he is a reality tv showman. This Nobel laureate is a legitimate expert. Even so, he’s not necessarily right. Time will tell. But he is bona fide legitimate to consider. Interesting to read and consider.
I remember your post. You thought the message was right as I recall. You weren’t the one I was talking about. It was another forum and I got blasted. Anyone posting anything slightly positive there got blasted. I guess they like misery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
At least in Northern Ca, if you go to Target at about 7:45 or 7:50 and wait in line (they open at 8) they have hand sanitizer, water, TP and paper towels, they restock every night. As far as bread, your best bet is to look for a local ethnic grocer, around here the Russian, Ukraine and middle eastern grocery stores all have bread, most of them bake their own bread, or get it from a source that doesn't deliver to major grocers
I’ve had to be creative in finding places to shop, but like you said, the local ethnic markets are the best. I was at a bread shop this morning that was fully stocked. Really the only thing I can’t find now is TP, but I don’t need it, just looking out of curiosity to see if places have it. I haven’t gone when places open and I suspect that you need to do that if you want it.

I’ve been able to find rice and pasta no problem. I was at one store and all of their bulk items (the stuff you have to scoop into bags) was totally cleaned out. It’s surreal to see all the bare shelves. There must be people with 75 lbs of rice in their garage.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:53 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Pinsky is out for Pinsky - he tries to put himself in the middle of whatever is newsworthy,he's not an expert and he's generally not to be believed.
Yes. That was exactly my point. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

In Pinsky’s case: even a nut finds a truth blind sometimes.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I remember your post. You thought the message was right as I recall. You weren’t the one I was talking about. It was another forum and I got blasted. Anyone posting anything slightly positive there got blasted. I guess they like misery.

I’ve had to be creative in finding places to shop, but like you said, the local ethnic markets are the best. I was at a bread shop this morning that was fully stocked. Really the only thing I can’t find now is TP, but I don’t need it, just looking out of curiosity to see if places have it. I haven’t gone when places open and I suspect that you need to do that if you want it.

I’ve been able to find rice and pasta no problem. I was at one store and all of their bulk items (the stuff you have to scoop into bags) was totally cleaned out. It’s surreal to see all the bare shelves. There must be people with 75 lbs of rice in their garage.
The stores I've been to have either emptied their bulk items out of the bins or covered them all with plastic so you can't buy any. I have enough food here for a couple of months and I bake most of our bread so I'm good there. I had to give a few of my neighbors some yeast, they couldn't find any at the store and I buy it by the pound and keep it in the fridge. I'm not that worried, it's not the zombie apocalypse & if things get real freaky we have enough ammo to shoot all the feral cats around here and live on cat stew

Old 03-22-2020, 11:11 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
The stores I've been to have either emptied their bulk items out of the bins or covered them all with plastic so you can't buy any. I have enough food here for a couple of months and I bake most of our bread so I'm good there. I had to give a few of my neighbors some yeast, they couldn't find any at the store and I buy it by the pound and keep it in the fridge. I'm not that worried, it's not the zombie apocalypse & if things get real freaky we have enough ammo to shoot all the feral cats around here and live on cat stew
Ahhh, that explains the bulk being empty, thanks.

I agree, no one is going to starve. There’s plenty of food. I even found a place that had ground wagyu in their meat counter. I’ll be going back there when I need meat. You’ll have to send me your recipe for the cats.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:37 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
I would have loved to have been in my local store to watch this happen. The herd mentality, thanks to panic driven articles put out by the media. And you call yourselves journalists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df6K9qMr67w

Old 03-22-2020, 11:55 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,141,328 times
China denies test https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...0-20200323.htm

Old 03-23-2020, 02:59 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,309,230 times
I always like to ask how come countries neighboring China never resorted to drastic actions taken by China since Chinese New Years which is now embraced by countries that were considered the "bastion of liberty" and Democracy or also known as the West. It appears its only a matter of time they exceed what CCP China did with their population. Japan seems very restrained in welding powers aside from closing schools and quarantining only those from the highest risk countries and the cruise ship of course. Most efforts are voluntarily but while 50% of the business are closed and most are not commuting to work. Though there are still attractions open. Taiwan seems to be allowing business to run normally with precautions, though have much stricter quarantine(house arrest) policy on incoming people especially those who are infected with very hefty fines and tracking some of which I don't know how an individual can afford to repay. Similar situation with Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, etc. Yet cases are not skyrocketing despite not taking extreme measures, remember all these locations especially Japan had large amounts of people entering from China and rest of the world everyday.

Remember Spain never done anything like this since they became a modern day constitutional Democracy. I be curious when would North America end up the same way in which people would need papers even to run an errand, get takeout, or go for an exercise in which they must approve of your exercise ways, cycling is forbidden and will result in a lecture and fine if not worse. I bet people there thought that it could never happen in their country. They were wrong.

By the way are stores waiving the ten cents fee in California(This legislation already seems unprecedented welding of power(of forcing stores to pocket a fee to avoid competition or public vote), and was spreading quickly globally in the 2010s just like the virus and its government overreaction). It appears its the case in other parts of the country. Some places are discouraging or even prohibiting reusable bags in addition to lifting any bans or fees at the state or local level. I believe that any restrictions on disposable items or mandated fees taxes should be nullified immediately via executive order. Those items were introduced back then for a very good reason that brain dead Generation X and Y politicians/lobbyists completely overlook in their zealousness to jump on the "looking green" wagon. I hope they learn their lesson today and reverse the damages they done. Ironically politicians that passed such bans and fees are now the ones welding the most amount of orders on their population.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:36 AM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I would have loved to have been in my local store to watch this happen. The herd mentality, thanks to panic driven articles put out by the media. And you call yourselves journalists.
Isn't that in Australia, though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California