Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2022, 10:28 PM

50,059 posts, read 46,599,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I’m sure they are crushed …
Snort.... beer out the nose mutt. Punished lmfao. Stores are doing better than ever in the last two years with lockdowns. Karens can protest all they want. No one wants them in the store now any who.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:28 PM

21,590 posts, read 16,091,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post

People who have the normal, feeling fear of illness and death and not just a sociopath's intolerance of boredom (or something like that - I'm not one and haven't read a ton on the subject) should be careful out there.
Well, they’ve got you to guide them, and I sleep better knowing that.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Well, they’ve got you to guide them, and I sleep better knowing that.
Sounds like the Donner party part II.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:42 PM

21,590 posts, read 16,091,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Sounds like the Donner party part II.
…. One eye open at all times

Old 03-24-2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:
…. One eye open at all times
Watch your six for the maskers that are imploding and hungry. Gotta sleep sometime. Gonna need a watch.

Old 03-24-2022, 11:33 PM

6,602 posts, read 4,816,232 times
I forgot to point out that New York City still requires employees in stores and probably many other workplaces to wear face masks, because that's what medical officials strongly urged.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:06 AM

1,618 posts, read 1,076,904 times
Quote:
I've shifted into punishing stores that don't even make their employees wear face masks and avoid shopping there unless there's something very specific that I almost need to buy. Also, I wonder if the state government has any plan to smartly use its budget surplus to fund better ventilation for small private businesses. I suggest covering some of the cost plus interest-free loans. Improved air in school, too, that's maybe most important of all.
Too bad most other people are probably doing the opposite and your favorite "covid forever" shops will be quickly running themselves out of business.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:17 AM

1) It's complete nonsense that any business on solid ground would fall apart because it makes its employees mask. Anybody who would refuse to patronize a business for that reason is an extremist and unless also an extreme spender completely expendable. A business that's doing fine could even continue to require customers wear masks if it could point to vulnerable employees or customers and provide free masks to those without them.
2) COVID did not have to become a chronic major problem. It did largely because of bad attitudes (denial, contrarian, etc.) on display in this thread. Attitudes have gotten so bad I wonder if attitudes would be better and this problem fixable sooner if instead of not-good-enough vaccines quickly, we'd gone a few years without any and people been forced to make lasting lifestyle changes for protection. Almost everyone here (people who don't live in the middle of nowhere) will be negatively, meaningfully affected in family health if big waves continue for years and lifestyle isn't adjusted first.

Old 03-25-2022, 02:40 AM

1,618 posts, read 1,076,904 times
Quote:
1) It's complete nonsense that any business on solid ground would fall apart because it makes its employees mask.

2) COVID did not have to become a chronic major problem. It did largely because of bad attitudes (denial, contrarian, etc.) on display in this thread. Attitudes have gotten so bad I wonder if attitudes would be better and this problem fixable sooner if instead of not-good-enough vaccines quickly, we'd gone a few years without any and people been forced to make lasting lifestyle changes for protection. Almost everyone here (people who don't live in the middle of nowhere) will be negatively, meaningfully affected in family health if big waves continue for years and lifestyle isn't adjusted first.
I'd say easily a third of Americans minimum outright despise masks. People that don't like masks will probably tip bartenders and wait staff significantly less that wear masks (I know plenty of people that do this). And many people don't like wearing masks so they will seek work where they don't have to wear a mask. Employee retention will probably remain the main problem for most "covid forever" places.

Hong Kong which was once a "zero covid envy of the world" set the world per capita death rate for the entire pandemic of any city on Earth today. New Zealand is having a huge outbreak, as is Australia, South Korea etc. The virus like other coronaviruses rapidly mutates and is impossible to eliminate by vaccination alone. Non-pharmaceutical interventions like masks and lockdowns are even more useless in the long-term. Scientists were saying covid would become endemic since spring of 2020 and nothing has changed in that prediction.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
I'd say easily a third of Americans minimum outright despise masks. People that don't like masks will probably tip bartenders and wait staff significantly less that wear masks (I know plenty of people that do this). And many people don't like wearing masks so they will seek work where they don't have to wear a mask. Employee retention will probably remain the main problem for most "covid forever" places.
This is California. The percentage is lower than in Red states. Fair point about tipping, I suppose, but those customers have a screw loose. Masks of course are unpleasant to wear, but employee willingness to wear masks is somewhat like a test for both cooperativeness and IQ. An employee who fails on either is less than desirable. Many employees want to mask and others sharing the air to do so.

Quote:
Hong Kong which was once a "zero covid envy of the world" set the world per capita death rate for the entire pandemic of any city on Earth today. New Zealand is having a huge outbreak, as is Australia, South Korea etc. The virus like other coronaviruses rapidly mutates and is impossible to eliminate by vaccination alone. Non-pharmaceutical interventions like masks and lockdowns are even more useless in the long-term. Scientists were saying covid would become endemic since spring of 2020 and nothing has changed in that prediction.
That seems more about going on a tangent to falsely hint that I believe in Zero Covid in 2022 than addressing what I said. The virus is not endemic. It's still in pandemic form and possibly striking in major waves faster than ever, which I don't think anyone was predicting 1 year ago and is happening largely because of how inappropriately people are handling the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California