Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2022, 04:55 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Are masks still required in health care settings?
Not only are health care settings in Sacramento and across the U.S. continuing to require masks but mask requirements will likely become a part of health care indefinitely.

“COVID-19 has caused a new heightened awareness of all airborne illness,” said Adam Dougherty, an emergency room physician at Sutter Medical Center Sacramento, who is a member of the board of the Sacramento Valley Medical Society and a trustee of the California Medical Association. Dougherty said masks provide protection from contagious diseases such as the flu, in addition to COVID-19, and wearing one is a prudent thing to do in medical settings, given the uncertain nature of new variants.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/ar...#storylink=cpy

Old 04-20-2022, 05:16 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
The Federal government is, correctly I say, appealing the court order on masks.

During the AIDS crisis, the government aggressively preached safe sex and where possible shut down high-risk activities (e.g., bath houses). Schools get shut down for measles outbreaks. Places close over listeria outbreaks. Laissez-fare doesn't work in a widespread public health crisis (or what would be expected to spread widely). The comparison with seasonal flu is invalid, because in the modern era flu doesn't spread very easily. As I've said before, the government has the authority to protect employees in high-risk venues and can mandate masking by them and probably even regulate indoor air quality.

Last edited by goodheathen; 04-20-2022 at 05:24 PM..

Old 04-20-2022, 06:26 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Yeah, she's just angry because it's a loss of power for people like her who just want to tell people what to do.
Just like Fraud-chi. His 15 minutes are up.

Old 04-20-2022, 06:33 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Yeah, she's just angry because it's a loss of power for people like her who just want to tell people what to do.
Yep, go back to the start of this thread and it's clearly evident.

Old 04-20-2022, 08:46 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post

During the AIDS crisis, the government aggressively preached safe sex and where possible shut down high-risk activities (e.g., bath houses). Schools get shut down for measles outbreaks. Places close over listeria outbreaks. Laissez-fare doesn't work in a widespread public health crisis (or what would be expected to spread widely). The comparison with seasonal flu is invalid, because in the modern era flu doesn't spread very easily. As I've said before, the government has the authority to protect employees in high-risk venues and can mandate masking by them and probably even regulate indoor air quality.

Where do you come up with this nonsense?

Old 04-20-2022, 08:50 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I'm not saying heart disease or cancer are transmissible. Don't try to spin it that way CA4Now. I'm saying that people focus more on covid than other illnesses that have a high incident of death, as well. And I'm not even comparing them. Period.

I'm saying that you can't continue to control people's lives by restricting them, due to fear of getting sick. Restrictions and heavy regulation messes with a person's mind. If you don't believe me, look at the uptick of violent outbursts on airlines. People attacking flight attendants. Shootings up in cities across this country.

I know people don't want to equate what's happening with covid but the increase started just after all the mandates occurred.

I want everyone to be healthy too but the fact remains that this virus is going to be around for a very long time ... maybe forever in various strains. We're all going to have to learn how to live with it, whether that means changing our social behavior, getting vaccinations on a regular basis or whatever else has to happen to stay safe.

I don't want to see people sick but disease and dying have been here for eons and it's not going away. Learn to live with it and stop restricting people. That's more unhealthy than the virus, imo.
I totally agree, Very Well Said, my friend...

Old 04-20-2022, 09:01 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Where do you come up with this nonsense?
MTS even caved today. No more mask baloney anywhere in SD.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
When we talk about "long COVID" we have to be clear what we're talking about.

It's a broad term much like post-polio syndrome. It can run the gamut.

The poster is laser focused on "long covid" while continuing to ignore that one must first get "short covid" for it to even be a consideration. It's pointless to worry about something defined with such loose parameters, which itself hinges on a whole other variable in the first place. That's borderline paranoia. It's unrealistic to think that the vast majority of people who suffered mild symptoms of covid (or less likely, the truly asymptomatic ones) are going to have long term detrimental health effects from it.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
MTS even caved today. No more mask baloney anywhere in SD.

Yeah I saw. I think they just wanted the appearance of doing *something* to cover their collective asses if it somehow, in some rare way, became actionable in the future. Like, "oh all those people got covid riding the trolley? well, we tried!".

That's kinda been the nature of all this supposed guidance in the last few months.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:21 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
It's a broad term much like post-polio syndrome. It can run the gamut.

The poster is laser focused on "long covid" while continuing to ignore that one must first get "short covid" for it to even be a consideration. It's pointless to worry about something defined with such loose parameters, which itself hinges on a whole other variable in the first place. That's borderline paranoia. It's unrealistic to think that the vast majority of people who suffered mild symptoms of covid (or less likely, the truly asymptomatic ones) are going to have long term detrimental health effects from it.
Which I never said. So many people in these threads put words in my mouth. I can't know about Omicron, because it hasn't been long around enough to study for and publish long-term effects, but multiple earlier variants needed just a little bad luck to make not especially vulnerable people feel bad for months. And Omicron isn't the last variant that will affect millions. Why should I push my luck in high-risk settings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California