Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 09:07 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times

Advertisements

I worked 15 years in a self-storage office. We had a high desk and I could alternate sitting or standing up. Usually I did 50-50 and a 10-11 hour day went by without me getting tired, in my older years. Also I could walk around as much as I wanted. What a concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 09:08 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
21/HR for unskilled labor is really for the less fortunate in smal town Oklahoma. And Aldi cashiers are seated but they also unload, stock, clean store and lot.
Did you leave something out in your first sentence? $21/hr is really what for the less fortunate in OK? $21/hr. these days is very good pay for cashiers. It's good pay for higher-level office admins. How can Aldi afford to pay them that?

Old 02-29-2020, 09:09 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
I worked 15 years in a self-storage office. We had a high desk and I could alternate sitting or standing up. Usually I did 50-50 and a 10-11 hour day went by without me getting tired, in my older years. Also I could walk around as much as I wanted. What a concept.
This. I would think, that having a choice of sitting or standing would be best; you could mix it up, like you did.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:29 AM

438 posts, read 376,716 times
When I worked retail there was one employee that would sit on a stool at the register. Honestly it doesn't necessarily help ones body or work; sitting all day in one place can put lots of stress on the lower back and if you need to help bag like at my previous job you're getting up and down all day.

Most employers I know are willing enough to find solutions to workers getting worn out during long shifts, but most will expect that if you applied for a job with the expectation you will be on your feet most of the time you can.

Plus cashier aren't the only ones standing all day. When I worked in a library as a page we were required to stand and shelf all day. My father is a welder and was on his feet for 40 years without a seat. People in food service and factory work also stand...so it's not like the US is picking on our cashiers. Plus everyone is entitled to a break were they can sit and rest so it's not the entire 8 hours if they work that much.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:43 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
My family has over 100 years in the grocery industry in three states. No cashiers in any of the stores worked 8 hours standing up. Very few cashiers even work 8 hours a day and most don’t get 40 hours a week do to scheduling and budgets.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:52 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,298,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Write to your representatives in the state legislature, and propose a bill.
Representatives actually work in the opposite direction.

A company can hire 2 cashiers and pay them $7/hour without insurance.
Those cashiers may work in a very relaxed way. "Hey, boss! We want comfortable chairs and frequent breaks. You pay little, we work little."

But representatives say that it's wrong.
A company must hire 1 cashier and pay her $15/hour, or better $30/hour.
Elder and feeble cashiers are out. Young healthy strong cashiers have to work as quickly as possible without any rest.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:47 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
Representatives actually work in the opposite direction.

A company can hire 2 cashiers and pay them $7/hour without insurance.
Those cashiers may work in a very relaxed way. "Hey, boss! We want comfortable chairs and frequent breaks. You pay little, we work little."

But representatives say that it's wrong.
A company must hire 1 cashier and pay her $15/hour, or better $30/hour.
Elder and feeble cashiers are out. Young healthy strong cashiers have to work as quickly as possible without any rest.
Yeah, that's not going to fly in California. Sorry.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:16 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
The speculations in this thread are kind of ridiculous.

If someone is handicap or has illness but can work if sitting, the store may accomodate them depending on the work done. It’s not common but I’ve seen cashiers in LA County that sit due to fairly obvious physical impairment.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:09 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
I assume it's so fellow employees whose job doesn't allow them to sit (those stocking, etc.) don't say "it's unfair that so-and-so can sit down and I can't"? At least, I figured that was probably the case back in my high school McDonald's days... I was working drive-through once (the cash register position; I literally did not need to move from that spot) and a previously-injured ankle was bugging me, so I pulled over a nearby stool. "You have to stand up." "Sorry, just, my ankle is bugging me." "You have to stand up." That was the rule, period.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me in some cases if a cashier sitting would make the public think they're lazy. People really like to judge those in service jobs. Another McDonald's anecdote-- I remember when we were told we were no longer allowed to take our lunch breaks in the dining area but had to crowd into the tiny "break room," because apparently customers would complain that there were employees sitting there rather than helping them-- even if the person was clearly on break.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:32 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,298,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I Another McDonald's anecdote-- I remember when we were told we were no longer allowed to take our lunch breaks in the dining area but had to crowd into the tiny "break room," because apparently customers would complain that there were employees sitting there rather than helping them-- even if the person was clearly on break.
Did you eat the food you cooked?
If you didn't, your bosses didn't want to show it to customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California