Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2020, 10:40 PM

55 posts, read 57,312 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever lived there and if so what can you tell me? Bad elements, meth etc? What other gotcha's might i find living there. I realize it's isolated as far as work which doesn't matter to me, (retired) and also retail which i assume is there minimally. What about weather? Is the cold and snowfall as often and bad as tehachapi and frazier park? Being from L.A. that might be tough for me if there are many days per year of cold and snowy days. Just like to hear your overall thoughts. Houses there are better bang/buck than i tend to see anywhere else I've considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 10:48 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
I myself never lived there. It's a recreational area for many in Kern County (I did live in Ridgecrest once upon a time). Yes, bad elements, meth. But mostly old, poor, and lacking in education. CA-178 isn't any fun/safe to drive. The weather is better than Bakersfield, but not as snowy as Tehachapi and Frazier Park. In fact, if you do ever see any snow, it will melt quickly. You'll acclimate to the colder temps, you shouldn't find it tough. The lake level drops quite a bit during droughts.

Take a look at the whole KRV. Kernville is a gem, and thought of as the best town in the valley. Great place for peace/quiet, the outdoors, and jumping off into the Sierra Nevada.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:59 PM

55 posts, read 57,312 times
Thanks, and yes, kernville did appear to be the jewel of the area but thats also reflected in the prices that rule it out for me. I know wofford heights and that north side seems like it's where the bad elements are, but what about the south side like bodfish and just east of that on to the lake end?
By the way, i did look at bakersfield at one point but the places affordable for me were in pretty run down looking neighborhoods. The attractive part tho for me is sewers and natural gas/public water. Still considering it tho.

Old 03-12-2020, 10:10 PM

545 posts, read 513,431 times
it's a dump

Old 02-18-2021, 10:25 AM

55 posts, read 50,313 times
Quote:
Thanks, and yes, kernville did appear to be the jewel of the area but thats also reflected in the prices that rule it out for me. I know wofford heights and that north side seems like it's where the bad elements are, but what about the south side like bodfish and just east of that on to the lake end?
Wofford Heights/Kernville is the best side of town but Squirrel Valley/Mtn Mesa area is nice as well and might be a little cheaper.

As for dangerous, all towns in the Kern River Valley are safe although some of Lake Isabella/Bodfish has some drug issues.

Quote:
Is the cold and snowfall as often and bad as tehachapi and frazier park?
It doesn't snow much, maybe once or twice a year and only a few inches.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:36 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,378,932 times
I like the Kern River Valley. My late husband was the relief deputy there. There's a decent grocery store and a small hospital. You're within 30min to redwood forests and ski areas up at Alta Sierra and 45min out to the desert in the east. It's a 30min drive down the canyon road to Bakersfield for more amenities. The canyon road drive is kind of a white knuckle one 'till you get to it. The crime is mostly property crime, not much in the way of violent crime. You could ask the sheriff's office for particulars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California