Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 06:58 AM

373 posts, read 252,993 times

Advertisements

Not talking about the transplant techies or people who move here for industry, I'm talking about the natives. I get tired of the culture of the people in LA and how they treat each other.
It's much more shallow and detached. In the Bay I see people of all colors integrated and I notice they show more love and respect to each other and are more comfortable in their skin. They are more in your face, take-me-as-i-am kinda people. Reminds me of NYers without being jerks. I've heard a few friends who mentioned the same thing I said. I know citydata is a small pct of the population but what do you guys think.. p.s. I find the few neighborhoods in LA thats a little rougher to be the closest thing in LA to the genuine realness the Bay has
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 07:01 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
Not talking about the transplant techies or people who move here for industry, I'm talking about the natives. I get tired of the culture of the people in LA and how they it's much more shallow and detached. In the Bay I see people of all colors integrated and I notice they show more love and respect to each other and are more comfortable in their skin. They are more in your face, take-me-as-i-am kinda people. Reminds me of NYers without being jerks. I've heard a few friends who mentioned the same thing I said. I know citydata is a small pct of the population but what do you guys think.. p.s. I find the few neighborhoods in LA thats a little rougher to be the closest thing in LA to the genuine realness the Bay has

Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:17 AM

848 posts, read 967,666 times
It's one tiny anecdote from one person (me) from 2001 - 2007, when I was in college in southern California, as a native to the bay area. I can tell you this, I never heard anyone hating on how someone talked, growing up. Slang, accents, pronunciations, etc. You talk how you talk, your slang is your slang. It's an interesting tidbit. But when I got down to L.A. (San Fernando Valley), anytime you say "hella", it's hate hate hate. "You must be from Northern California ", or "We don't say that here." kind of thing. A lot. Yet no one was hating on how people talk from the Northeast, South, Midwest, etc. There's this very specific dislike of Northern California. Yet I haven't found the reverse to be true. Not when I was growing up, anyway.

There's a funny video on youtube making fun of exactly this, but I'd have no hope of remembering how to find it (the one thing both the northern Californian and the southern Californian had in common was a mutual dislike of Bakersfield ).

Old 03-24-2020, 09:26 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
The megalopolis that's knows as "LA" I'm sure is diverse in terms of personality types, but it tends to get stereotyped as all Hollywood glitz or Hollywood superficiality. Whether that's fair or not, that's how "LA" as a phenomenon is perceived. So, compared to that, NorCal, including the Bay Area, generally has been known for being more down-to-earth, more WYSIWYG.

IDK, that quality may be getting lost among the hordes of transplants nowadays, but that used to be what characterized the Bay Area born-and-raised culture. Low key, unpretentious, a higher percent of women without makeup (which a lot of male LA transplants to SF & Bay Area complain about here), less status-conscious.

Old 03-24-2020, 10:29 AM

629 posts, read 619,818 times
Quote:
Not talking about the transplant techies or people who move here for industry, I'm talking about the natives. I get tired of the culture of the people in LA and how they treat each other.
It's much more shallow and detached. In the Bay I see people of all colors integrated and I notice they show more love and respect to each other and are more comfortable in their skin. They are more in your face, take-me-as-i-am kinda people. Reminds me of NYers without being jerks. I've heard a few friends who mentioned the same thing I said. I know citydata is a small pct of the population but what do you guys think.. p.s. I find the few neighborhoods in LA thats a little rougher to be the closest thing in LA to the genuine realness the Bay has

They show love and respect as long as you agree with what you’re told to believe. If you try to have a different perspective or opinion that isn’t acceptable within the echo chamber here, then you’d suddenly see their true colors. I’d take LA jerks over the Bay Area leftist hypocrites any day. At least you know what you get right away and they don’t deny it. There is no genuine realness here in SF, unless you either agree with everyone around you or if you shut up and keep any differing opinions to yourself.

I dare you to walk around here and have a conversation with anyone, and try to play devils advocate on any big issue. I stopped trying to have honest conversations with people a long time ago. I have a bad habit of taking different perspectives and making efforts to see other sides to a story before forming an opinion, which is not exactly a popular way of doing things out here. It was shocking at first, especially since I always heard how “tolerant” things are here, but eventually accepted that it was all a facade. Disappointing, yes, but it is what it is. Nowadays I just sit quietly and let people throw blanket insults at millions of people they haven’t met, spewing hate, calling strangers horrible names, etc. In general, I just let their “realness” come out, and it’s not pretty. Most intolerant place I’ve ever been to.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:22 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post

I dare you to walk around here and have a conversation with anyone, and try to play devils advocate on any big issue. I stopped trying to have honest conversations with people a long time ago..
Playing devil's advocate is not having an honest conversation. That's game-playing, baiting. No wonder you have trouble getting along.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:12 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:
I find the few neighborhoods in LA thats a little rougher to be the closest thing in LA to the genuine realness the Bay has
Makes sense given you talk about Oakland all the time.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:32 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
It's one tiny anecdote from one person (me) from 2001 - 2007, when I was in college in southern California, as a native to the bay area. I can tell you this, I never heard anyone hating on how someone talked, growing up. Slang, accents, pronunciations, etc. You talk how you talk, your slang is your slang. It's an interesting tidbit. But when I got down to L.A. (San Fernando Valley), anytime you say "hella", it's hate hate hate. "You must be from Northern California ", or "We don't say that here." kind of thing. A lot. Yet no one was hating on how people talk from the Northeast, South, Midwest, etc. There's this very specific dislike of Northern California. Yet I haven't found the reverse to be true. Not when I was growing up, anyway.

There's a funny video on youtube making fun of exactly this, but I'd have no hope of remembering how to find it (the one thing both the northern Californian and the southern Californian had in common was a mutual dislike of Bakersfield ).
You have to be kidding me. People here are way more obsessed with the NorCal/SoCal rivalry and hating on LA/SoCal in general.

My first in year in college people made fun of “hella”. If you think that’s “hate” you’re overly sensitive.

Old 03-24-2020, 03:19 PM

373 posts, read 252,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You have to be kidding me. People here are way more obsessed with the NorCal/SoCal rivalry and hating on LA/SoCal in general.

My first in year in college people made fun of “hella”. If you think that’s “hate” you’re overly sensitive.
People in LA say hella all the time

Old 03-24-2020, 04:05 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Playing devil's advocate is not having an honest conversation. That's game-playing, baiting. No wonder you have trouble getting along.
No, playing devil’s advocate is about as honest as it gets when you get down to it. Like so many things, the truth is often in the middle somewhere. Playing devil’s advocate helps to open your mind to the other side of an issue that you might not see. You might not be able to get the other side to see different views, but it sometimes opens yours when you least expect it while doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California