Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 08:17 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I don't like them, either, but it's doubtful that's bogus.
Yeah I meant to say I am cautious of those stats but still do take them into consideration as to a part of the reason why I've those far chosen not to have them in our house.

With regards to this thread specifically, it would never cross my mind to purchase a gun strictly for safety rather than sport. And with today's environment I would imagine majority of these new gun owners are looking to purchase for that safety reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 08:26 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Wow, the hothead seems so angry and it just pours out of his surface, apparent in a fraction of a second.

If his customers (and others like this) are also like that, it's unsetting to think of how many people who constantly seethe anger are armed, and makes one wonder how many may use them to solve a problem that could be de-escalated instead of resorting to violence.

Or maybe all bark and no bite? Still unsettling though.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:20 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
It's a open question if a gun shop is a "essential" business". You have to be a really good shot to hit a virus.
I don’t need to hit the virus. Just the container. Imo a gun can be essential in saving a life if your own life is in danger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Still don’t own a gun. Never been an interest of mine. Although I did enjoy the Red Ryder with pump stock in my youthful days blowing heads off of plastic GI Joes and Indians. I’ve contemplated getting into hunting simply for having another excuse to go on camping trips and go hiking.

I don’t like those stats where you or someone you love is more likely to be killed by a gun if you own one then if you did not. Not sure if that is a bogus stat or not. And does it include suicides?

I would say I am neutral on guns although I would support a ban on AR-15 type rifles so the NRA would probably consider me extreme.
You’re most likely to get killed if you’re stupid in a bathtub or in a car also. I don’t understand your self professed neutrality on guns but would support a ban on AR type rifles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Wow, the hothead seems so angry and it just pours out of his surface, apparent in a fraction of a second.

If his customers (and others like this) are also like that, it's unsetting to think of how many people who constantly seethe anger are armed, and makes one wonder how many may use them to solve a problem that could be de-escalated instead of resorting to violence.

Or maybe all bark and no bite? Still unsettling though.
He’s not angry. He’s frustrated because of the laws that have slowly strangled his business over the years and having hundred of customers coming in ignorant of the laws and getting mad at him because they can’t pick up their guns immediately due to laws that were enacted by their voting for the enactment of the law or ignoring the vote to defeat it. Especially when it takes a long time to go through the red tape to pass all the tests and needed paper work before you get to the gun purchase and that paperwork. Yeah I don’t blame him.
I’m a gun owner and my last resort would be grabbing a gun. Most gun owners contrary to most people’s beliefs are level headed people. Would I use a gun to save my life or my family? Absolutely. Would I use a gun because someone yelled at me? No that’s just asinine.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You’re most likely to get killed if you’re stupid in a bathtub or in a car also. I don’t understand your self professed neutrality on guns but would support a ban on AR type rifles.
I've thought of those reasons. There's also the argument that you are more likely to be killed in a shark attack if you go in the ocean vs. not go in the ocean. The difference though is that for many, the main reason for owning a gun is self preservation and for themselves or their loved ones to not be killed. Nobody takes a bath, drives a car or goes in the ocean with the idea that they are safer and it will protect them. In contrast, when it comes to gun ownership, outside of hunters, the idea of them and their loved ones is the number 1 reason or even only reason they own a gun.

So that's why I've always been open to owning hunting rifles. It is a reason to own a gun other than self protection. That said, I don't have a problem with others owning the vast majority of gun types on the market for self protection if it is something they feel they and their family need.

You can think what you like but yes, I do think I am neutral on guns. I support the second amendment with limitations. Just because I don't totally bend over for the NRA does not mean I don't see value in the second amendment.Seems to me that if someone was 100% with the NRA they would not be "neutral" on guns. They would be "pro gun". If they disagreed strongly on most NRA stances they would be "anti-gun". I clearly don't fall into either of those two categories so that's how I come up with my self proclaimed neutral stance.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:08 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
I've thought of those reasons. There's also the argument that you are more likely to be killed in a shark attack if you go in the ocean vs. not go in the ocean. The difference though is that for many, the main reason for owning a gun is self preservation and for themselves or their loved ones to not be killed. Nobody takes a bath, drives a car or goes in the ocean with the idea that they are safer and it will protect them. In contrast, when it comes to gun ownership, outside of hunters, the idea of them and their loved ones is the number 1 reason or even only reason they own a gun.

So that's why I've always been open to owning hunting rifles. It is a reason to own a gun other than self protection. That said, I don't have a problem with others owning the vast majority of gun types on the market for self protection if it is something they feel they and their family need.

You can think what you like but yes, I do think I am neutral on guns. I support the second amendment with limitations. Just because I don't totally bend over for the NRA does not mean I don't see value in the second amendment.Seems to me that if someone was 100% with the NRA they would not be "neutral" on guns. They would be "pro gun". If they disagreed strongly on most NRA stances they would be "anti-gun". I clearly don't fall into either of those two categories so that's how I come up with my self proclaimed neutral stance.
That’s like saying I support the bill of rights with limitations. Being neutral on guns means you have no opinion. the 2nd amendment isn’t about your right to go hunting.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:09 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times
Quote:
Does the second amendment ring a bell?

Yes, it does.....

I remember buying my first gun when I was 19.....long, long ago. I happen in a Woolworth's Store to buy something and they happen to have a turnstile rack on the floor with several old surplus German mfg Mauser rifles. Filled out the Federal form, paid the $35 and and walked out with rifle in a box.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:12 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Getting weapons is much more difficult Than relinquishing them
Guns are for when you call the police and they don’t come -unless you were in New Orleans during Katrina -what I just said is nonsense to you

Old 03-25-2020, 10:18 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,960 times
Quote:
I don’t need to hit the virus. Just the container. Imo a gun can be essential in saving a life if your own life is in danger.

He’s not angry. He’s frustrated because of the laws that have slowly strangled his business over the years and having hundred of customers coming in ignorant of the laws and getting mad at him because they can’t pick up their guns immediately due to laws that were enacted by their voting for the enactment of the law or ignoring the vote to defeat it. Especially when it takes a long time to go through the red tape to pass all the tests and needed paper work before you get to the gun purchase and that paperwork. Yeah I don’t blame him.
I’m a gun owner and my last resort would be grabbing a gun. Most gun owners contrary to most people’s beliefs are level headed people. Would I use a gun to save my life or my family? Absolutely. Would I use a gun because someone yelled at me? No that’s just asinine.

I am very familiar with firearms, going back to the 1970s. I one time in the past, I was reloading just about all the ammunition I would shoot at the gun range. Just not into the hobby anymore......primarily because of a medical issue

Old 03-25-2020, 10:22 AM

50,303 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Still don’t own a gun. Never been an interest of mine. Although I did enjoy the Red Ryder with pump stock in my youthful days blowing heads off of plastic GI Joes and Indians. I’ve contemplated getting into hunting simply for having another excuse to go on camping trips and go hiking.

I don’t like those stats where you or someone you love is more likely to be killed by a gun if you own one then if you did not. Not sure if that is a bogus stat or not. And does it include suicides?

I would say I am neutral on guns although I would support a ban on AR-15 type rifles so the NRA would probably consider me extreme.
There is no such thing and never will be without removing or modifying the 2nd.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...lt-weapon.html

Old 03-25-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
That’s like saying I support the bill of rights with limitations. Being neutral on guns means you have no opinion. the 2nd amendment isn’t about your right to go hunting.

Largely I do have no opinion. I don't actively protest against semi automatic assault type rifles. I don't unfriend my buddies that do have them. Heck, I've even gone to the range with them and fired a few founds from them with those same buddies.

That said, if it were ever to come up in a vote, which it likely won't, would I check a box to ban those type of rifles? Most likely yes. I'm sure in the eyes of some that means I am some sort if anti-gun nut that wants to take all your guns away. Those people are probably wearing tin foil hats too.

A lot of people have wide and varying opinions on abortion. Very few are 100% anti abortion in all cases or 100% pro abortion in all cases. Since my opinion on abortion as is perhaps yours as well, somewhere in between the two extremes should that mean I have a neutral opinion or no opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California