Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 06:32 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
It's more ridiculous than that!

Not only you need to show Real ID, but at the same time you need to show your car registration to verify your address and maybe even your utility bill.

Umm.. Hello? In order to get a Real ID you NEED to show your address already, in addition the proof of U.S. Citizenship and your Soc. Sec. #. So CA DOJ does *not* trust Real ID? Talk about stupid
Talk about misinformation. Have you bought ammo in the last three months? None of that is necessary. I’ve purchased a ton of ammo in the last three months and all that was required was my DL and a signature on a couple of forms. Took an extra 3 minutes.

As a side note if someone tries to steal my TP, they face my decision to cripple or kill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 07:41 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Nicole Brown Simpson's dog, an Akita, likely witnessed her and Ron Goldman's violent murder.
O.J. knew her dog well, so was not alarmed by his presence (which is why that dog don't hunt).

Old 03-27-2020, 08:12 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You are far less likely to have a break-in or personal attack to begin with if you have a good dog present ... than if you have only a gun ... because intruders / attackers see / hear the dog ... Shih tzu’s need not apply.

I wasn't making the gun/dog comparison fwiw.

Anecdotally, friends of the family found their two labs locked in their garage when their house was cleaned out by burglars. Like I said, actual guard dogs/dogs used for people control are specially trained and aren't your average house pet. I'm all for dogs because I like them and as a bonus, they bark and alert you to people's presence. But they aren't reliable source of security against intruders since as I also pointed out not everyone in the criminal pursuits is perfectly rational (think: drug addicts/etc) and is going to care about the noise.

Agreed on the shihtzus, although we had a terrier mutt of some sort for sixteen years and that dog had incredible sense for people walking up the driveway, long before they even knocked. Don't discount the little yappy breeds too much.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:16 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
O.J. knew her dog well, so was not alarmed by his presence (which is why that dog don't hunt).

Regardless, if you're relying on your pet to maul an intruder with violent intentions into submission, I'd say you're betting against steep odds. Dogs have been conditioned for eons to be friendly to human beings. It's certainly in their nature to be defensive of their pack, but not in the way a lot of people want to imagine it.

Dogs are pets first and foremost.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:18 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Dogs>guns>nothing

Old 03-27-2020, 08:47 PM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
I wasn't making the gun/dog comparison fwiw.

Anecdotally, friends of the family found their two labs locked in their garage when their house was cleaned out by burglars. Like I said, actual guard dogs/dogs used for people control are specially trained and aren't your average house pet. I'm all for dogs because I like them and as a bonus, they bark and alert you to people's presence. But they aren't reliable source of security against intruders since as I also pointed out not everyone in the criminal pursuits is perfectly rational (think: drug addicts/etc) and is going to care about the noise.

Agreed on the shihtzus, although we had a terrier mutt of some sort for sixteen years and that dog had incredible sense for people walking up the driveway, long before they even knocked. Don't discount the little yappy breeds too much.
Quote:
Regardless, if you're relying on your pet to maul an intruder with violent intentions into submission, I'd say you're betting against steep odds. Dogs have been conditioned for eons to be friendly to human beings. It's certainly in their nature to be defensive of their pack, but not in the way a lot of people want to imagine it.

If you know your breeds and how to train and manage them ... your pet can be FAR FAR more than just a pet.

Of course the number of people capable of excellence in dog training and management runs in about a similar percentage to the number of people competent to handle a firearm expertly and intelligently.

So there you go.

Still, after all my years with ordinance, I’m going with the dog. Every time.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:48 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Dogs have been conditioned for eons to be friendly to human beings.

I'll inform out neighbor with the pit bull and those up the street with the German Shepherd.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:14 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Yes, it does.....

I remember buying my first gun when I was 19.....long, long ago. I happen in a Woolworth's Store to buy something and they happen to have a turnstile rack on the floor with several old surplus German mfg Mauser rifles. Filled out the Federal form, paid the $35 and and walked out with rifle in a box.
Years ago, I bought my J.C. Higgins lever action .22 rifle at Sears...

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item...lever-rifle-sn

Old 03-27-2020, 10:18 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I'll inform out neighbor with the pit bull and those up the street with the German Shepherd.
I live with two German Shepherds & a rottie/lab mix. They are very loving & great friends...

Old 03-27-2020, 11:30 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
I have been in my fair share of street fights and spent my youth in an environment where people fight a lot. I am also trained in grappling and boxing. Not at elite level but I can take care of myself. I am not trying to say no training is the same as good training, but I know of enough cases where it did not make a difference. Martial arts are not a guarantee of winning especially when many practicioners cannot effectively use their skills in a real life situation. Anyways back to female martial artists, they stand no chance against men. Even Ronda.
So since you’ve had training that must mean you’ve often gotten beat down by regular guys? Just kidding, I couldn’t resist.

I absolutely agree that there’s many who do get training and can’t fight their way out of a paper bag, but I think we’d both agree if all things being equal the one with training will always come out ahead.

Speaking of things being equal, of course a woman doesn’t stand a chance against a man with the same training, but one with training will be able to defend themselves against an attacker. At least enough to get away and run. Like my wife did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California