Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 03:09 PM

42,710 posts, read 25,874,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
I was going to say that it seems like a very high amount but then I saw this is in the California section.
yes, it's a FEMA/State of California cooperative arrangement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 12:45 AM

18,812 posts, read 32,253,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I saw this on TV and I knew I couldn't get it before I saw eligibility.
Same here. I am not going to take public transportation right now, and I have Calfresh (SNAP) and can walk a bit, so I'm not technically home-bound. I've been calling around trying to get Meals on Wheels for about a week, and I don't qualify for anything, even though I'm super low income and 64 years old.

Makes for good press, but doesn't really help very many of us.

Anyone who qualifies for these, already qualified for Meals on Wheels.

I actually did contact the Lieutenant Governor, and asked her if she'd look into allowing people with EBT to be able to have food delivered by Amazon, for instance - there were zero options to pay for anything with your EBT card (includes Calfresh/SNAP) and have it delivered. The rules just changed. Not sure if my communication had anything to do with it, but got an email from Amazon today that we can now use our EBT cards to pay for stuff, groceries and have them delivered.

Also, you can use your EBT card or Medicaid card numbers to get Amazon Prime for 1/2 price.

Pretty cool. I usually complain about Amazon, but I'm thrilled about this.

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=16256994011

https://www.amazon.com/snap-ebt/b?ie...de=19097785011

I just signed up for Prime with my EBT card number and uploaded an image of it, and it immediately gave me access for 1/2 price. Pretty cool.

Our Lieutenant Governor is awesome, by the way. Heard her on an NPR program and was really impressed, so I contacted her about looking into finding a way we could use our EBT cards to pay for delivery items. Who knows if my communication mattered, that they maybe already had it in the works, but she is awesome, and she's very available via her Twitter account, as opposed to Newsom. yet, she has his ear :-)

https://ltg.ca.gov/

Elena Kounalakis

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 04-26-2020 at 12:53 AM..

Old 04-26-2020, 06:17 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
This IS a great service although as a senior, I could certainly get by with TWO meals a day!
Like the idea very much: 2 meals though should be quite enough. I too as a senior know I would be very satisfied with 2 a day. Also there are so many ways for seniors and others in need to get food right now 2 should be fine. No sense on wasting the food. I am glad the plan will not only help our seniors in need, but our restaurants and our farming community.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:19 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
yes, from what I have read they need to also meet one of the other criteria but I haven't seen the official language on this.
that suddenly makes the program totally different. I can not in a million years understand, regardless of the circumstances see how anyone in that income level should get free meals. Free delivery that is something totally different. What about meals on wheels? Senior or not people in certain income levels do not need financual help. Yes, as I said the delivery part may be different. There are many seniors who are totally or almost totally shut in and to have decent meals is a very big part of their day.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:49 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,631,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

I actually did contact the Lieutenant Governor, and asked her if she'd look into allowing people with EBT to be able to have food delivered by Amazon, for instance - there were zero options to pay for anything with your EBT card (includes Calfresh/SNAP) and have it delivered. The rules just changed. Not sure if my communication had anything to do with it, but got an email from Amazon today that we can now use our EBT cards to pay for stuff, groceries and have them delivered.

Also, you can use your EBT card or Medicaid card numbers to get Amazon Prime for 1/2 price.

Pretty cool. I usually complain about Amazon, but I'm thrilled about this.
You often share your very innovative solutions to life's challenges.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:48 AM

8,241 posts, read 6,295,177 times
If your a white male Christian heterosexual and don't vote Democrat forget it.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:25 AM

50,057 posts, read 46,562,994 times
Must be some really nice restaurants

Reimbursements are as follows: $16 for breakfast, $17 for lunch and $28 for dinner, a total of $66 a day.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:30 AM

37,032 posts, read 41,957,933 times
I'm not going to comment unless/until this gets off the ground.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:55 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,757,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Must be some really nice restaurants

Reimbursements are as follows: $16 for breakfast
16 for a full b'fast at any decent sit-down-and-be-served diner-style restaurant isn't (or wasn't) all that out of line, even here in S. Fontana. I would usually cash out with a 12 to 14 dollar tab, with enough in the "doggie container" for another full meal. For me, the doggie.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:13 PM

50,057 posts, read 46,562,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
16 for a full b'fast at any decent sit-down-and-be-served diner-style restaurant isn't (or wasn't) all that out of line, even here in S. Fontana. I would usually cash out with a 12 to 14 dollar tab, with enough in the "doggie container" for another full meal. For me, the doggie.
28 for dinner will get you dinner from the butcher shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California