Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 07:07 AM

460 posts, read 231,864 times

Advertisements

There're reports of police trying to dissipate multiple groups at beaches and those refusing to move on. So they closed it for everyone because of those, I guess. I think this is wrong and I'd love to see covidiots hosed down with tear gas instead and beaches and state parks open for normal people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 07:10 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
Newsom is trying to keep the number of infected people as low as possible. Unfortunately, people can't be trusted to social distance, wear face masks, etc. I saw a photo of a crowded beach walking area; not one person was wearing a face mask! The comparison to lines at Costco and Wal Mart is ridiculous, because we have to get food. We don't have to go to the beach. The virus knows nothing about county boundaries.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:20 AM

460 posts, read 231,864 times
Food is certainly more essential than the beach. But being outdoors is a very essential thing for many people, while others are just fine in the city. When closing all beaches and state parks for all they should consider impact on mental health/depression and suicide prevention, hotlines are already overwhelmed, and there was great mental health crisis in CA before any coronavirus even started. It's a long marathon to run ahead, a short sprint won't resolve this. I also think it's strategically bad decision in the light of upcoming presidential election, creating bad PR.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:50 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,736,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yea, I don’t like Gavin, but with that said I dislike stupid people even more. But maybe Darwinism will settle the issue. Sadly the stupid will infect the rest of us.
I don't understand this line of thinking... If the stupid infect each other, and you are not stupid and stay home, how exactly do you get infected??? You can get all of your items delivered. You don't have to leave the house.

This needs to happen. We need to allow some people to get infected. The virus is not going away and we can't stay hidden away until a vaccine shows up. We have no idea how soon a vaccine will be here. Best estimates I've heard lately is maybe September, and that would be the fastest a vaccine has ever been delivered. More likely they say it will be a year to a year and a half. So what would you have us do? Lock ourselves down until then?

The point of sheltering in place was to slow the spread so that the hospitals are not overwhelmed. Hospitals are NOT overwhelmed. It's now time to let a few people out and see what happens. If they get sick, we have hospital space for them and we can lock down again. But locking down now is stupid and premature. We need to wait and see. If you are one of the "smart" ones, keep sheltering in place and watch the "stupid" ones get sick. The more people get sick, the closer we get to herd immunity.

And don't say it's because you care about people dying and I don't. Of course death is terrible, but we need to be realistic about this. I really don't see what the end game is. Just what, stay inside and pray that it goes away? That's not a plan. And don't say testing, because we're never going to hit these testing numbers they want. And some of the projected requirements are unrealistic and unnecessary.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:52 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,273,421 times
There’s already a thread on this

Old 04-30-2020, 07:57 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Because we have something called freedom.
There’s also something called common sense. You could easily enjoy the beach but sit six feet apart. You can still be in a small group at that distance and from pictures I saw there was plenty of room on the beaches to do that. This isn’t going to last forever so it’s not that hard to do that for a time.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:04 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
You can manipulate photos depending on the perspective you use to take them. It’s easy to make people look all bunched together when they weren’t. Anyone with a basic knowledge of photography can tell you that.
Less easy to do with aerial shots though. Not everything was with a long telephoto lens at eye level.
Someone giving a piggy back ride to another wasn’t manipulated by photography.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:15 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,138,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
There’s also something called common sense. You could easily enjoy the beach but sit six feet apart. You can still be in a small group at that distance and from pictures I saw there was plenty of room on the beaches to do that. This isn’t going to last forever so it’s not that hard to do that for a time.
I refuse to do what government tells me to do. I will be one of those that will refuse to get vaccinated once vaccine is available.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:20 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
Is it still open tommorow?
Yep, go in protest.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:22 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
If I understand it right, the Orange County beaches were overwhelmed because LA beaches were still closed. Wouldn't it make more sense just to open all the beaches so people can be more spread out?
If you're concerned about being to close to people, or if you are high risk for complications, you could stay home? Just my 2 cents.
Gosh, you're making too much sense, you'd better stop now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California