Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 02:31 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
CA4Now, I'm quoting from this very link above you shared:

It's around 0.5%, what NY testing efforts had shown.
What happened to your contempt of podcasts? From the article: "At first, based on early numbers in late February, epidemiologists and experts estimated about 1% of infected people would die from COVID-19, but it turns out it is hard to come up with one number that accurately captures how deadly this virus is." And it's not worth arguing with you about it any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 02:47 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What happened to your contempt of podcasts? From the article: "At first, based on early numbers in late February, epidemiologists and experts estimated about 1% of infected people would die from COVID-19, but it turns out it is hard to come up with one number that accurately captures how deadly this virus is." And it's not worth arguing with you about it any longer.
S/he isn’t “arguing” ... s/he is turning out product as per employment contract.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:32 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Not sure I’m following you here. But with regard to how I linked landlocked with seain isn’t connected to the comment you quoted. Landlocked just made comments about how certain people don’t care about other people ... specifically based on an “I’ve got mine - so hell with you” assumed position. I’m referencing that Seain has been repetitive in making that accusation against many different posters in these recent COVID19 threads. He’s made those assumptions based on absolutely no knowledge of who he accuses. Over and over and over again. Now we read landlocked making similar generalization. They make a great pair in that regard.
Well darn. I'm sorry. I saw the quoted comment then read yours and thought what I thought. You know, this is a lesson to me. Never ever ever respond to posts on CD without having my second cup of coffee.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:47 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
I be curious how Mr. Newsom view Seals and Sea Lions not practicing social distancing in different parts of the state including especially at La Jolla. Apparently its been proven COVID19 affects other mammals as well and not just humans. And these guys sneeze alot. And whether they are emboldened to venturing into town as the crowds of tourists that normally line the streets along La Jolla shorelines are mostly gone during the pandemic. A large amount of infested dead seals or sea lions would be a major problem to contend with.

I also curious how Mr. Newsom think about all those May Day protests and Cinco De Mayo events like the ones in San Jose. I guess those are too hard to control as they are practically flash mobs. Those living in eastern part of San Jose have often to contained with suchcrowds and police road blocks every year just to get to and from their homes this includes the luxury communities of South Evergreen and Silver Creek at times. That is if they need to travel on 101 280/680 corridors where they come together which is often a necessary evil to get to places north of it.

I bet Mr. Newsom must be happy that the recent massive red tide has made the coastline and beaches very undesirable place to stay in.

I be curious about the result of Huntington Beach's lawsuit. As I know they once sued the state who made it mandatory for them as a Charter city to implement "sanctuary city" policies and HB seems to have won the case the first time. Though it appears just a little down the road California still rules that even though HB is a charter city they are still fully under the "Sanctuary state" Act since their city is still fully under California's jurisdiction. I would imagine the political storm if their city or CHP decides to arrest an "illegal immigrant(s)" camped out on the sand and try to contact ICE to deport him or her.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 05-05-2020 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-05-2020, 02:17 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I be curious how Mr. Newsom view Seals and Sea Lions not practicing social distancing in different parts of the state including especially at La Jolla. Apparently its been proven COVID19 affects other mammals as well and not just humans. And these guys sneeze alot. And whether they are emboldened to venturing into town as the crowds of tourists that normally line the streets along La Jolla shorelines are mostly gone during the pandemic. A large amount of infested dead seals or sea lions would be a major problem to contend with.
I deleted everything else because it's pure bait, but that is an interesting concern. I don't think seals and sea lions would be killed by COVID-19, just like few healthy people are, but if they can become infected, that's another reason to keep beaches closed. If it gets into them, it will be a perpetual problem in those areas. Good luck even catching one of those beasts for testing, unless it's ill on the beach. I guess soil from their habitats would be the detection method. "Coronavirus infections have been associated with pneumonia epizootics in wild Pacific harbor seals."

Old 05-05-2020, 09:37 PM

460 posts, read 232,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What are you not getting?
Covid has 0.5% death rate at worst, as shown after extensive population testing.
Podcasts? What is it, peer reviewed studies, official results of experiments/testing, statements by officials? No I don't listen to "podcasts" or other forms of brainwash.
Stop listening to "podcasts" and mistaking them for facts - just because it's a hip word doesn't mean what they pour into your ears is true. They don't have much more value than Disney cartoons.

Last edited by landlock; 05-05-2020 at 09:47 PM..

Old 05-05-2020, 10:17 PM

0.5% death rate? Okay. 0.5% of Americans die from (or are pushed over the edge by) COVID-19 in the next 24 months? Doesn't sound okay.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:25 PM

460 posts, read 232,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
0.5% death rate? Okay. 0.5% of Americans die from (or are pushed over the edge by) COVID-19 in the next 24 months? Doesn't sound okay.
So we can agree on 0.5% or roughly so rate.
For 0.5% of Americans to die from it in the next 2 years, 100% would have to get infected - but studies based on prison populations show that only about 70-75% of people get infected at all, and that in absence of any social distancing, PPE or healthy lifestyle.
0.5% is bad enough but this is the badness of life and what can be done had been done and is being done (with exception of requiring masks in all stores so far and getting enough N95 masks and sanitizer to the people)...but one can't eliminate all risks in life and lock everyone up in their house depriving them of their freedoms, based on some natural risk out there.
Anyway, beaches have nothing to do with this, as it was discussed to death already that science found 0 connection between outdoor recreation and transmission of respiratory infectious disease.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:36 AM

People aren't locked up at home. Don't use distorted language to poison the well.

If it's "only" 0.4% of Americans dying (and again what about more survivors with long-term loss of functionality?), that's still a disaster. This is not a situation where the virus can be allowed to chug through the population. For example, there might have to be restrictions on large gatherings for a few years.

You are extremely intellectually dishonest to rehash the point at the end. Days ago I pointed out there probably are no studies about COVID-19 at the beach, because it hasn't been warm enough for much use and not enough people allowed to move freely. Shame on you.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:42 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I deleted everything else because it's pure bait, but that is an interesting concern. I don't think seals and sea lions would be killed by COVID-19, just like few healthy people are, but if they can become infected, that's another reason to keep beaches closed. If it gets into them, it will be a perpetual problem in those areas. Good luck even catching one of those beasts for testing, unless it's ill on the beach. I guess soil from their habitats would be the detection method. "Coronavirus infections have been associated with pneumonia epizootics in wild Pacific harbor seals."
He closed down beaches but is unable to close down Medoc County, or Cinco De Mayo celebrations.

The parts of San Diego or the state where Seals and Sea Lions commonly park themselves on are not normally beaches but rocky shores. The only exception being Children's beach next to La Jolla Cove, hardly anyone would have a beach day there anyways due to the heavy stench of Seals and Sea Lion feces. And is likely "sealed off" anyways for seal pupping season.* Though does this mean they would need to close the roads near the shore too? Thus closing off all California beaches just because of ill seals would be a dumb call. Though I be curious whether there would be artificial intervention such as testing.*
Though I noticed these articles*The Beach and COVID-19: Understanding the Risks - Surfrider Foundation
Scientist Warns Against Swimming in Ocean During Coronavirus Pandemic | ComplexWhile there was no definite proof of the dangers it appears progressive governments such as San Diego County and city of San Diego as well as LA county and their cities took no chances and eventually banned all water activity in April whether or not users launch from a beach or a harbor. And progressive cities around the state pretty much all shut down their beaches. San Francisco being a big exception. OC was the among the few exceptions that kept their beaches open the whole time with no restrictions until Newsom ordered them shut down.*

Perhaps Sunbathing should be banned indefinitely as a health and safety precaution as*Skin cancer and sunbathing kills more people than car accidents each year | Daily Mail Online*Given the progressive idealism that Health and Safety would trample even the Constitution and due process. But the hypocrisy until COVID19 came along among the same politicians was "environmentalism" tramples Health and Safety. As progressive politicians want to mandate any agency that uses disposable products(of any material) to be forced to return to reusable products. And for stores to charge a penalty to customers wanting a store's bag or straw for that matter of any type. Interestingly if they were only against plastic why not just mandate disposable products be more eco friendly as disposable products were originally introduced to avoid cross contamination. Though the city of San Francisco, among the first to mandate reusable products and force stores to levy a penalty for those using disposable products regardless of what its made of became among the first to repeal the ordinance completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California