Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 08:23 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Newsom is a NAZI!

COVID-19 is not that infectious. Newsom is just showing us his police state NAZI plans for the future.

Do you personally know anyone who got COVID-19?
Or are you just believing the fear mongering from mainstream news?
My entire family plus my wife's boss has had it. Only one person even showed signs that were bad. My son lost 15 lbs and sound baded for two weeks. He has recovered nicely. Even he didn't even stop running for cross country. I just felt tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 08:25 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
I don't happen to agree with this, but:

If it’s unhealthy, if people are being infected with the virus by being drawn to the ocean as humans always have, show us some data. Do people who go to the beach contract the virus more than people who don’t? Show us the numbers.

Until then, here’s my declaration of independence from shallow thinking:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all Californians are endowed with certain unalienable rights. Among these are sun, surf and a day at the beach.”

Newsom could use some beach time.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...s-gavin-newsom

How is anyone supposed to "show us some data" when information on this virus seems to change weekly--if not daily--and we don't even know the true number of deaths in our state from COVID-19?

Old 04-30-2020, 08:28 AM

460 posts, read 232,097 times
The Open-Air Treatment of PANDEMIC INFLUENZA

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4504358/

Quote:
The H1N1 “Spanish flu” outbreak of 1918–1919 was the most devastating pandemic on record, killing between 50 million and 100 million people....Records from an “open-air” hospital in Boston, Massachusetts, suggest that some patients and staff were spared the worst of the outbreak. A combination of fresh air, sunlight, scrupulous standards of hygiene, and reusable face masks appears to have substantially reduced deaths among some patients and infections among medical staff.
Quote:
The curative effects of fresh air were investigated at length by the physiologist Sir Leonard Hill (1866–1952) in the years following World War I. He reported favorably on the effects of sun and air when judiciously applied, particularly for tuberculosis.39,40 In 1919, Hill wrote in the British Medical Journal that the best way to combat influenza infection was deep breathing of cool air and sleeping in the open.
A lot of information on importance of sunlight and fresh air in curing respiratory diseases and stopping their epidemics.
Modern housing constructed of toxic materials is a death trap/gas chamber. Combined with SoCal pollution...I don't know how people are able to survive this even without coronavirus. It is also no secret that sea-air has some curative powers for the lungs.

One aspect of closing the beaches is that the cleaner air in SoCal happens to be by the beaches - and lower income people happen to leave further away inland, where air quality is much worse and air is hotter at the same time, exacerbating pollution effects (and not everyone there can afford a backyard) - this is just not fair to close the beaches and parks and a very classist and discriminatory move, to think of it.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:35 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
In summary :
https://youtu.be/MQLGx8ts9k4

Old 04-30-2020, 08:52 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Ditto this. I see no reason why people going to the beaches couldn’t space themselves instead clustering. I don’t like newsom, but I’m stRting to respect him a bit more now.
Lifeguards said most people were distancing themselves properly. That's the case normally too; when people go to the beach they naturally spread out. Who sets up less than 6ft from another person or group if they don't have to?

Newsom is drunk with power and going overboard now. And all of this because of Orange County? Vast majority of beaches in NorCal are empty most of the time. Why does some deserted beach in Humboldt or Mendocino County need to be closed?

Old 04-30-2020, 09:04 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
The Open-Air Treatment of PANDEMIC INFLUENZA

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4504358/

A lot of information on importance of sunlight and fresh air in curing respiratory diseases and stopping their epidemics.
Modern housing constructed of toxic materials is a death trap/gas chamber. Combined with SoCal pollution...I don't know how people are able to survive this even without coronavirus. It is also no secret that sea-air has some curative powers for the lungs.

One aspect of closing the beaches is that the cleaner air in SoCal happens to be by the beaches - and lower income people happen to leave further away inland, where air quality is much worse and air is hotter at the same time, exacerbating pollution effects (and not everyone there can afford a backyard) - this is just not fair to close the beaches and parks and a very classist and discriminatory move, to think of it.
There's no such bad intent. Also, that's an apples-and-oranges comparison. This isn't about curing the ill with sunlight; it's about seemingly healthy people, some deliberately meeting up from different households, spending hours close together, in the midst of a disease that's significantly more contagious than the flu. Nobody would argue that going to a baseball game now is healthy. A further problem is that the beach isn't always sunny in daytime.

Quote:
The point of sheltering in place was to slow the spread so that the hospitals are not overwhelmed. Hospitals are NOT overwhelmed. It's now time to let a few people out and see what happens. If they get sick, we have hospital space for them and we can lock down again. But locking down now is stupid and premature. We need to wait and see. If you are one of the "smart" ones, keep sheltering in place and watch the "stupid" ones get sick. The more people get sick, the closer we get to herd immunity.
Herd immunity isn't coming. People are being let out. The strictest part of lockdown was weeks ago. To mass gatherings is much too big a leap.

Last edited by goodheathen; 04-30-2020 at 09:13 AM..

Old 04-30-2020, 09:06 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Herd immunity isn't coming. People are being let out. The strictest part of lockdown was weeks ago. To mass gatherings is much too big a leap.
No one is being "let out" in California. The noose is only tightening.

But with the sweeping statewide beach closure, protests will start today. I guarantee it.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:07 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Lifeguards said most people were distancing themselves properly. That's the case normally too; when people go to the beach they naturally spread out. Who sets up less than 6ft from another person or group if they don't have to?

Newsom is drunk with power and going overboard now. And all of this because of Orange County? Vast majority of beaches in NorCal are empty most of the time. Why does some deserted beach in Humboldt or Mendocino County need to be closed?
It doesn't have to. This is a very brief measure until Newsom can arrange things so that screwups like in Orange County don't happen.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:08 AM

460 posts, read 232,097 times
I just wrote the Governor about how bad this discriminatory move is.
I don't think they should trap people in inland polluted areas and deny people access to recreation, sunlight and fresh air, things and activities that are key to health, strong immune system and epidemic prevention, especially deny these things based on their income levels.
It's not just the wealthy that should be able to enjoy sea and fresh air, sunlight, and time outside with some nature around them. Also, access to these things essential to one's health (and overall public health) shouldn't be based on race and LA coastal areas with cleaner air versus inland areas have race differentiation, I'm sure the Governor is aware of that.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:12 AM

5,738 posts, read 4,692,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Abuse freedom, and that's what happens. The government can restrict access to any of its property. It is cheaper to close the beaches than to try to cajole visitors into social distancing or impractically wearing masks.
True freedom cannot be abused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California