Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2020, 07:20 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
That soon? Must be so depressing for you.
"This site says…

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to
Tulemutt again"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 07:38 AM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Someone on another thread brought up an interesting point that has all but been forgotten now. Remember when California wanted to secede from the rest of the U.S.? Had they accomplished that, we might be more in a world of hurt than we are already.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:51 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Someone on another thread brought up an interesting point that has all but been forgotten now. Remember when California wanted to secede from the rest of the U.S.? Had they accomplished that, we might be more in a world of hurt than we are already.
Hmm. Interesting thought to ponder. Why do you think we might be in a worse position?

Old 05-09-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Hmm. Interesting thought to ponder. Why do you think we might be in a worse position?
Without the federal government's money, who would be there to help, even if it's only a small bit? We'll come out of this but it would take us twice, maybe three times, as long. Oh but wait. The state can raise our taxes to make up for everything they are now having to pull out of the "rainy day fund." 16 billion in that fund and we're only allowed to take eight billion out per year. You think eight billion is enough to make us whole again? Where will the rest come from? If you think hard enough, the answer will come to you.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Without the federal government's money, who would be there to help, even if it's only a small bit? We'll come out of this but it would take us twice, maybe three times, as long. Oh but wait. The state can raise our taxes to make up for everything they are now having to pull out of the "rainy day fund." 16 billion in that fund and we're only allowed to take eight billion out per year. You think eight billion is enough to make us whole again? Where will the rest come from? If you think hard enough, the answer will come to you.
I guess your view would assume California being hit as hard as it is ... as opposed to maybe having been more prescient and prepared, and more forewarned and proactive. I suppose either could be true.

The other element to ponder is: California, being the world’s now 4th largest economy, could deal with the crisis as well as Germany and Great Britain are. Tough struggle for every nation in the world to be sure, as we are all so intertwined.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I guess your view would assume California being hit as hard as it is ... as opposed to maybe having been more prescient and prepared, and more forewarned and proactive. I suppose either could be true.

The other element to ponder is: California, being the world’s now 4th largest economy, could deal with the crisis as well as Germany and Great Britain are. Tough struggle for every nation in the world to be sure, as we are all so intertwined.
Economy's topple so waving the "We're #5 or now as you say #4 flag" means squat. But whatever. It's going to play out the way it's supposed to.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Economy's topple so waving the "We're #5 or now as you say #4 flag" means squat. But whatever. It's going to play out the way it's supposed to.
Economies change for sure. By that axiom, California could improve as well as decline. And in these modern times, rise and fall aren’t really likely to rise or fall overnight.

I wasn’t “waving any flag”. Just pointing out that as we sit, but as an independent nation, we would be in similar position to similar international economies.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:43 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
I forgot all about that. I think we would be in more trouble. No bail out, no hospital ship (was that ever needed?) and no borrowing to prop up the unemployment fund (EDD).

Old 05-09-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Economies change for sure. By that axiom, California could improve as well as decline. And in these modern times, rise and fall aren’t really likely to rise or fall overnight.

I wasn’t “waving any flag”. Just pointing out that as we sit, but as an independent nation, we would be in similar position to similar international economies.
I have no doubt the state will survive. It's a strong state with strong people in it. I just don't like that some feel it's so strong that it should break away from the rest of the U.S. and become its own country.

Call me stupid, naive, silly, infantile, childish or whatever but I like knowing that California is part of the U.S. It's still a good state but it has some problems and while I don't agree with the way state leaders deal with them, I don't know where else I'd want to live. My history, roots, dead and buried family are all here. Where else would I go? I don't have time to start over again someplace else so I have to accept the way the state is now. I don't have to like it but I don't complain about it. Well, not too much. I also don't delude myself into believing that we're better than any other state. All have good points and bad points. We're just one of the pack trying to get along in life.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I forgot all about that. I think we would be in more trouble. No bail out, no hospital ship (was that ever needed?) and no borrowing to prop up the unemployment fund (EDD).
Exactly my point. No help when it's needed. I can tell you from personal life experience that it's a whole lot easier when there is a support system. Going it alone is a tough road and not many can handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California