Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 02:48 PM

21,731 posts, read 16,334,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Newsom has said he expects the state’s unemployment rate could rise as high as 25 percent. For contrast California never exceeded 13% during the previous recession.

On top of this Newsom will reduce CalPERs and CalSTRS contributions, and Newsom has “quietly” shuttered “healthcare for all”, his landmark program to provide state funded healthcare to illegal aliens ages 18-65.

https://www.sacbee.com/article242726681.html
Your obsession, CR? The explanation is? Hawaii, Nevada are worse. So is Alaska. In fact, 17 states are projecting worse. But you only care to post about California ... to be helpful ... Because you care so much and want Californians to be “successful.” Yet don’t feel the same toward the other states ... hmmmmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 03:03 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Actually pretty pleased with the governor's decision to make some cuts. It's better to recognize that something has to give in such a time like this, instead of sticking one's head in the sand and pretending everything will be alright in a few months. Oh wait. Someone did do that but it didn't work out so well.

Hope everyone and their family members and friends are still safe and healthy.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:39 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,275,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Actually pretty pleased with the governor's decision to make some cuts. It's better to recognize that something has to give in such a time like this, instead of sticking one's head in the sand and pretending everything will be alright in a few months. Oh wait. Someone did do that but it didn't work out so well.

Hope everyone and their family members and friends are still safe and healthy.
Looks like he didn’t have a choice. I saw one article that said the state Senate Pro Tem wants to avoid tax increases. Meanwhile the assembly budget chair said tax increases are on the table.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:43 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,985,182 times
Quote:
Uh yes, Newsom definitely has been sticking his head into the sand, ignoring California's taxation and spending problem just like his predecessor (although to be fair, Brown "tried" to be a little more conservative with his spending towards the end).

Newsom should've thought about making cuts far before Covid-19. Covid-19 is showing just how fragile the California economy really was. Now 5,000,000 people (and more to come) will end up paying the price with their jobs.

Last edited by CaliRestoration; 05-14-2020 at 04:51 PM..

Old 05-14-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Looks like he didn’t have a choice. I saw one article that said the state Senate Pro Tem wants to avoid tax increases. Meanwhile the assembly budget chair said tax increases are on the table.
Choice or not, raising the taxes again right now isn't something that will sit well with many of us in the state. It's like pouring salt into the wound. Not surprised the assembly are ready to jump on a tax increase.

Newsom has to tread lightly on this. And I think he's really giving it thought before shooting from the hip. He could do that before he was governor but now he's wearing a different hat and I think - or hope - he knows what it could mean for his run for the WH. Budget cuts are the right direction to go right now. There's enough pork in this state a little trimming the fat wouldn't hurt one bit.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:40 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,275,484 times
Quote:
Choice or not, raising the taxes again right now isn't something that will sit well with many of us in the state. It's like pouring salt into the wound. Not surprised the assembly are ready to jump on a tax increase.

Newsom has to tread lightly on this. And I think he's really giving it thought before shooting from the hip. He could do that before he was governor but now he's wearing a different hat and I think - or hope - he knows what it could mean for his run for the WH. Budget cuts are the right direction to go right now. There's enough pork in this state a little trimming the fat wouldn't hurt one bit.
I agree, raising taxes or fees is the last thing they want to do. He’s taking about a 10% pay cut for state employees. There is a lot of fat to trim, but we don’t have the brightest and the best running the state.

I would think most states would be in the same situation, but certainly the states that open faster should fare better barring any major flare ups. I haven’t read anything about increase cases where they opened that wasn’t the result of increased testing.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I agree, raising taxes or fees is the last thing they want to do. He’s taking about a 10% pay cut for state employees. There is a lot of fat to trim, but we don’t have the brightest and the best running the state.

I would think most states would be in the same situation, but certainly the states that open faster should fare better barring any major flare ups. I haven’t read anything about increase cases where they opened that wasn’t the result of increased testing.
They're considering furloughs for the state employees, in order to save some money. It's a good idea and it's been done before. Cutting a couple days a week allows workers to maintain their health benefits and it sure beats layoffs altogether. I'm in favor of it. I had to be furloughed once and while it did sting a bit to get a smaller paycheck, I was still able to maintain the household budget and get the work done I needed to at my job.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:01 PM

301 posts, read 164,604 times
I wonder about how many pages long this thread will be on

THE 4th Of JULY 2021?

It is RITE AROUNd the CORNER not coroner

This thread titled:

"California Business Closures and Job Loss tracking thread"

is at 25 pages now

~~~~~~~Please DO NOt shoOt the Messenger who has a disability And does not want a service dog~~~~~~

Old 05-15-2020, 06:58 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud49 View Post
"California Business Closures and Job Loss tracking thread"

is at 25 pages now

~~~~~~~Please DO NOt shoOt the Messenger who has a disability And does not want a service dog~~~~~~
What?

Old 05-15-2020, 07:11 AM

21,731 posts, read 16,334,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What?
I’m thinking maybe Rosebud was referring to the OP as “the messenger who has a disability and doesn’t want a service dog”?

“Please do not shoot” is probably a figure of speech in this case, imploring responses to not criticize the OP’s transparent “sour grapes” motivation for posting as he does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California