Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2020, 05:27 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
I will take the full blame for it and will continue ignoring mask . Let see what else he will do that he thinks will somehow makes us wear a mask which in reality it will not.
Of course there are things that can be done. Monterey County made not wearing a mask in specified settings a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment and a fine. If people like you keep up this nonsense I can see a law like that being imposed statewide. https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/home/s...ument?id=90136
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 05:47 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,139,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Of course there are things that can be done. Monterey County made not wearing a mask in specified settings a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment and a fine. If people like you keep up this nonsense I can see a law like that being imposed statewide. https://www.co.monterey.ca.us/home/s...ument?id=90136
Perfect, i will request jury trial. If everyone request a jury trial, how many years it will take? Also how much it will cost them to hold jury trial?

Old 07-01-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Perfect, i will request jury trial. If everyone request a jury trial, how many years it will take? Also how much it will cost them to hold jury trial?
Who cares, certainly not you! But you might have a little trouble getting a job with a criminal offense on your rap sheet.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:36 PM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
I went to a automotive junkyard today and they wouldn't let me in unless I had a mask.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:00 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
Quote:
Who will enforce it? The people upset about masks have been having complete meltdowns.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hu...?ocid=msedgdhp

How do you actually enforce this rule statewide? It seems like we are moving against having law enforcement enforce non violent offences. If you are running a law enforcement agency during a time of on going race riots, do you tell your deputies to enforce mask rules right now or not? Even if your supervisor told you to enforce mask rules, if you were a deputy and you saw someone who was not white not wearing a mask would you actually do anything or would you just pretend you didn't see anything?

https://www.foxla.com/news/la-city-c...-violent-calls

I think even if the legislature did pass a mandatory mask rule, I can't imagine it being enforced right now with any degree of uniformity.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
Who will enforce it? The people upset about masks have been having complete meltdowns.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hu...?ocid=msedgdhp

How do you actually enforce this rule statewide? It seems like we are moving against having law enforcement enforce non violent offences. If you are running a law enforcement agency during a time of on going race riots, do you tell your deputies to enforce mask rules right now or not? Even if your supervisor told you to enforce mask rules, if you were a deputy and you saw someone who was not white not wearing a mask would you actually do anything or would you just pretend you didn't see anything?

https://www.foxla.com/news/la-city-c...-violent-calls

I think even if the legislature did pass a mandatory mask rule, I can't imagine it being enforced right now with any degree of uniformity.
I read the article and I don't think it says what you think it does.
Quote:
"...will introduce a motion to replace LAPD officers with unarmed, non-law enforcement agencies who will be responsible for responding to non-violent calls for service"
that does not infer that civilians will be writing citations for people not wearing masks.

What they are talking about is not a new concept, a number of agencies have civilian personnel writing reports where no suspect is present and even investigating cases where there is no known suspect. Civilians also do crime scene investigation; follow up on reports of abandoned vehicles and trash dumping, working as correctional officers in the jail etc. A trained civilian employee is paid 40-60% of what a sworn officer is paid and their benefit package is usually far less generous.

That has very little if anything to do with enforcing laws requiring masks. I am guessing that businesses would be responsible for not allowing people in without masks and would probably be fined if they didn't enforce that rule. The only time I can envision someone getting a ticket for not wearing a mask would be if one is required in a public facility like a museum, if they refuse to leave or wear a mask they would be the perfect candidate for a citation, and yes more than likely a Deputy or local Police Officer would issue the citation.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:05 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...d-15363452.php

California AG seeks to force Uber and Lyft to reclassify drivers as W2 employees

I'm not a fan of the state's ballot initiative process because it's too often wielded as a bludgeon of direct democracy at the expense of the minority. It's also just too easy to buy the signatures to push whatever agenda is being pushed. All that said, I support the upcoming gig worker referendum because the state is just clearly in the wrong on this issue. I expect Uber, etc. to prevail. They've also dumped a ton of money into it which is as I said above the only way to win.

All the opposition is from organized labor money. I'm not an anti-union type, but their side of this particular argument is wholly unconvincing.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:13 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Of course there are things that can be done. Monterey County made not wearing a mask in specified settings a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment and a fine.

Repeating myself, I know--Our local edict uses the same language; misdemeanor, fine, jail.
How many people have been convicted of a mask crime though? It's been months here and I'm still waiting for the first case. I doubt it's been any different in Monterey or anywhere else for that matter. Nobody is going to cop to a misdemeanor over not wearing a mask. That would be the dumbest thing in the world not to fight which is why it's unenforceable and why no smart DA is ever going to push that button. If it turns out I'm wrong, I'd love to see the case.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:12 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,227,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
I'm not a fan of the state's ballot initiative process because it's too often wielded as a bludgeon of direct democracy at the expense of the minority. It's also just too easy to buy the signatures to push whatever agenda is being pushed. All that said, I support the upcoming gig worker referendum because the state is just clearly in the wrong on this issue. I expect Uber, etc. to prevail. They've also dumped a ton of money into it which is as I said above the only way to win.

All the opposition is from organized labor money. I'm not an anti-union type, but their side of this particular argument is wholly unconvincing.
Non-profit orgs are going to suffer because some of the work done is mundane/time intensive and compensated for by a small payout as a 'gig' job to people in the organization. The additional cost required to make those people full time employees will destroy budgets and cause some of these non-profits to fold up.

That is not good.

AB5 was an ill conceived WMD. It's detonation is still 'killing' groups around the state.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:38 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post

That’s a very succinct, and well developed opinion of the 1099 gig worker situation.

Wish more people in California (and around the country) would wake up to these basic truths. Giving people more choices when it comes to how their employment is structured is far better than restricting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California