Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 03:52 PM

1,156 posts, read 978,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Yep and Tesla is making plans of moving OUT of Cali too as a result. The loss of more jobs for you due to your governors restrictions. About the only thing that need to be considered although it's being ignored at this time, is that when fall comes, allowing the kids back into schools will provide a significant new wave of the virus to run rampant. Heck under "normal" conditions it never fails, that each fall a wave of flu's and colds run rampant among families due to kids being back in schools transmitting every gunk out there. This will run October through at least March of next year whether or not we have a vaccine. I'm staying the heck OUT of everything but food shopping till then. No interest in any bug hitting me thank you. I feel especially bad for people with kids that will foster this mess. Hope their grandparents stay away or will risk their lives as well.
You think Tesla needs Fremont or Vice Versa? Power hungry officials. Amazing. Good riddance Fremont. Can’t blame him.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-hq-california

Old 05-10-2020, 03:56 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,260,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Haha you seem a bit sour. This thread is about California and how we are suffering due to the inaction and outright dereliction of duty by this president.I want to know how we can protect our state.
Reported this post, belongs in Politics and Controversies.

Old 05-10-2020, 04:09 PM

1,156 posts, read 978,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Don’t be a snitch like the cult leaders want us to be. I agree with many of your posts. Montclair is the one that looks like a fool.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:15 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,057,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Because China is lying about it’s numbers. America is transparent about all its numbers good and bad.
Clearly not. With similar end results, the U.S. and China are both lying about its numbers. Try not to seem like such a hopeless homer. We're Americans, sure, but don't think that we're so benevolent.

How China lies: they don't count asymptomatic carriers who aren't showing symptoms. And believe me, they know because unlike here, they've been testing for months.

How the U.S. lies: Effectively in the same way. We don't test people. Despite Trump's continued lies that we've tested more than anyone in the world combined (obviously clueless), we generally do not test asymptomatic carriers or for a time, we also weren't testing people with mild symptoms. The U.S.'s reported number is similarly stifled by these details.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:18 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,057,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Yep and Tesla is making plans of moving OUT of Cali too as a result.
Capitalism always needs a scapegoat. With or without a global pandemic, you'd have companies like Tesla pining for cheaper labor and looser restrictions anywhere else in the world. First it was here, then it was India, Bangladesh, China, Mexico and Vietnam and next it'll be Africa. And when the parade of suffering ends, it'll cycle back to places whose job markets need it most again and where initial investment dollars are low enough to open a new plant. So, don't worry, we'll get those factories back again. But, the idea that you believe that Tesla plans to move out of California because of a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic seems awfully hilarious.

Old 05-10-2020, 07:56 PM

10,284 posts, read 8,440,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
A generation of K-12 students in CA have been deprived access to vocational programs in high school, like auto shop, carpentry, nursing etc. due to budget cuts, but I feel like emphasizing 4-year college degrees on kids who arent inclined to see it through has wasted a lot of time and money, when their talents and skills lie elsewhere.
Now, finally a statement by you that actually rings true. California as the 4th largest economy has no excuse for not having the number one education system in the US.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:33 PM

8,243 posts, read 6,297,173 times
The reason for not as good a education system as it used to is because of way too many $200,000 managers.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:21 PM

127 posts, read 82,374 times
Not sure but I think he’ll have it figured out by 2024. Maybe harvesting your tears?

Old 05-10-2020, 10:24 PM

42,717 posts, read 25,880,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
These are great suggestions. I’ve said this before, but we went through Hong Kong when SARS was going on. They had someone taking temperatures of everyone coming off the plane. If you had a temperature, you were put in quarantine.

Maybe we should put you in charge. However, knowing Americans, the tracing thing is going to be a problem. I read about some resistance to it due to privacy concerns. Texas restaurants don’t want to release patron lists for possible tracing. I can imagine that’s going to be an issue everywhere.

Another thing is that we know this affects older people with underlying conditions more so than younger healthy people. Maybe we open the economy more and let younger healthy people go back to work and lift restrictions on them while keeping the shelter in place for everyone over 65 with underlying conditions. The same restrictions apply to anyone over 75 regardless of underlying conditions. I can imagine the age discrimination lawsuits.
Opening the economy for everyone except the elderly infers that we are willing to expose millions of younger healthy people to the virus because presumably they won't die from it (unless they have crappy luck or the virus mutates and decides that younger people taste better). However, theoretically that could work, but how do we protect all of these older people, many live in multi-generational households or care for their grandkids while their parents work? Do we put them in the basement and toss food downstairs to them? And how do we protect the immunosuppressed both adults and children. and the obese and diabetics and people with hypertension? By the time you're done separating high risk from low risk people you won't be left with enough to fill half the jobs in the US. Many people work until they are well into their 70s, especially degreed professionals, i.e Doctors, Professors, accountants, CEO's. How do you replace that brain trust in a short time? Now they won't let anyone who has tested positive for Covid-19 join the Armed Forces, we will have an army the size of the one in Vatican City if we stick with that plan.

Bottom line is we need to control the virus, and it can be done but like you said almost everything that would be required to do that would likely be resisted. But I also believe that most people would accept the inconvenience and 'intrusiveness' if our President fully supported it, look at the hardship and inconvenience people endured during WW2. But either Trump, or the people he surrounds himself with think that they will have this grand V shaped recovery in just a few months if we just pretend that everything is the way it was in 2019 and keep saying "the cure can't be worse than the disease" and I think they are dead wrong.

So my thoughts are that unless we find a miracle cure and/or a vaccine for this really quick we are screwed. My guess is that the economy will be in the toilet for at least a decade, and if you thought there were a lot of homeless before this, just give it 6 months or a year...

Old 05-10-2020, 10:28 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,146,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
This thread is about the future of California and how we must navigate through the mess created by this administration.

What could non Californians possibly add of value if their only contribution is to defend the president and badmouth liberals...that's generic and trite.

Tell me about this state, not politics in general.

I swear I dont understand. Are you guys afraid to have dialogue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California