Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2020, 06:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,043 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I'm from the east coast, but half of my extended family is in CA. I have family in Hesperia, Long Beach, Fresno, Mariposa, and San Diego. I've visited them all and I love CA. I especially love the mountains.

I also have a good friend from college who moved to Visalia and loves it there. He says it's basically like anywhere in middle America...a small city with lots of charm that's a good place to raise kids. He's been there for over a decade.

I just had a job opportunity open up in my field in Visalia. It's good pay and it's a good job to stay in until retirement.

I've done a lot of research on the internet and people seem to really like Visalia...the only big complaint I see is the air quality. Is it really that bad? Is it a cancer hotspot because of the bad air? I see that it's one of the top cities on all kinds of poor air quality rankings.

What are your pros and cons of the area? If we moved, we would stay for good. We have 2 young kids.

We'd be fairly close to most family. And we love the mountains and the beach. (And in all my visiting of CA, I don't mind the dry heat at all...I actually didn't mind the 110 degree days in Hesperia at all...)

Thanks for your thoughts. (We'd be making around $87k...enough for a $250k house.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 09:54 AM

545 posts, read 513,687 times
Visalia has its charms

an agricultural area

but it's a different world from the major cities

Fresno is the largest city nearby

Bakersfield is in the south direction and I know Bakersfield has its proponents but it's not a very charming city

I'd say the pros are affordability

the cons are it's sort of a migrant center so the Mexican lifestyle and culture is going to be pronounced, which is something some people like but others don't. I happen to find it relaxing

Old 05-25-2020, 02:38 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,592 times
Visalia is a pretty nice town to live in and raise a family. It has all the amenities you'd want or need. It's an easy day trip to get to the coast if you need some ocean time. Since you stated that you like mountains, know that Visalia is the closest city to two big national parks, Sequoia and Kings Canyon Parks. Lots of recreational things to do.
Discover The Best California State & National Parks

Old 05-26-2020, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,043 times
Thanks all. We have lived in a migrant ag center before, so we don't mind that at all...

My only issue, I think, is the air quality. Does that really matter? None of us have asthma, but we all have seasonal allergies that we have to take over-the-counter meds for.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:47 PM

83 posts, read 101,395 times
I live in Fresno and IMO Visalia would be a good choice. It's a delightful community.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:34 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,808 times
Posted about a year ago. Lots of info here.

Another.

And another
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California