Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:16 PM

57 posts, read 382,211 times

Advertisements

here in CA?

I live in the bay area. I have a few weeks off work & am looking for fun things to do alone. Of course I plan on going into SF and exploring.

I'm considering Yosemite alone, but will have to look into it more. Never been.

I want to see Lake Tahoe in the summer, but probably not the best place to go alone right? You can't really enjoy the water by yourself I guess. But I went in the wintertime and wow it's beautiful there.

Also plan on doing the hwy1 road trip alone. I love driving alone. I've done the trip before, but want to do it again.

Any other ideas for someone who is all alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 06:24 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelinala View Post
here in CA?

I live in the bay area. I have a few weeks off work & am looking for fun things to do alone. Of course I plan on going into SF and exploring.

I want to see Lake Tahoe in the summer, but probably not the best place to go alone right? You can't really enjoy the water by yourself I guess. But I went in the wintertime and wow it's beautiful there.

Also plan on doing the hwy1 road trip alone. I love driving alone. I've done the trip before, but want to do it again.

Visit Big Sur.
Have lunch at Cafe Kevah which is the outdoor cafe beneath Nepenthe's. It's a little less expensive than Nepenthe's and you'll feel totally comfortable sitting there for as long as you like and enjoying one of the best views of Big Sur down there.
Visit the Henry Miller Library ... just down the road from Nepenthe's.

Hike if you like.

While you're in the area, see the Monterey Aquarium.
It's the tops!
Those are my two suggestions.
Happy Trails.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:37 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelinala View Post
here in CA?

Out of curiosity, why the emphasis on doing these things alone?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Out of curiosity, why the emphasis on doing these things alone?
Charles !

Old 07-16-2009, 08:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Charles !
What? It's a legitimate question.

In six lines of text, the original poster qualified her interests with "alone" or "by myself" eight times.

In fact, if I knew more about her reasons, I might be able to fine tune my responses.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:51 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,770,204 times
If you go out alone in some place like Yosemite, make sure you either have a satellite phone or you notify someone of your schedule/itinerary and have them check on you. Generally, going hiking alone in some place new to you is a recipe for disaster without someone aware of where you are or what your plans are

Old 07-16-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What? It's a legitimate question.

In six lines of text, the original poster qualified her interests with "alone" or "by myself" eight times.

In fact, if I knew more about her reasons, I might be able to fine tune my responses.
I was teasing you, really.
If you heard the tone of it (in my head) when i wrote that, you'd know but it didn't come across.
Sometimes you are very direct and a bit personal but i know your intentions are good.
And it could be, depending on the woman, like asking her how old she is.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
If you go out alone in some place like Yosemite, make sure you either have a satellite phone or you notify someone of your schedule/itinerary and have them check on you. Generally, going hiking alone in some place new to you is a recipe for disaster without someone aware of where you are or what your plans are
Yeah, although it's a bit difficult to be truly alone in Yosemite in the summer but certainly going off into the back / high country alone wouldn't be advised without letting someone know where you're going.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:06 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times
Quote:
What are some fun things to do alone?
That's an easy one! But, before I answer, I have a question of my own: Does anyone ever get banned from this forum?

Old 07-16-2009, 11:10 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times
How about visiting Alcatraz? You'll never again complain about your small apartment.
Half Moon Bay: Blue Sky Restaurant on Highway 1 is a must for breakfast or lunch. They close at 2pm, so get there in time.
Visit some of the churches and cathedrals in SF.
Museums....Exploratorium.....Restaurants....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California