Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2020, 01:12 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
I said the restaurant one. You even linked to the same article after I posted it on the other thread. I'm assuming you read it as I did?
Yes; it's the same study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
71% is roughly equal to 74% unless you want to really split hairs.
You seem determined to look for evidence that masks are of little protection against the virus, which is certainly your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 04:48 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
The problem is that the mask information has been so back and forth. Fauci said they don’t help. Fauci said they do help. Studies say they don’t help at all (BS). CDC director says they’re more effective than a vaccine (big smoking pile of BS).

Is it any wonder that there’s resistance to masks? This is from someone who wears a mask and carries extras in his car in case of wardrobe malfunction.

Science evolves over time and that is part of the reason for that.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:30 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Fauci admitted to lying. That’s not evolving science. That’s having an agenda. There’s a lot of that going around. Take a look at Nashville.

If masks are more effective than a vaccine, enforce the mask wearing and lift all restrictions. That won’t happen because they’re not more effective than a vaccine.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:51 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Agreed.

In an interview with CBS Evening News anchor and 60 Minutes correspondent Norah O'Donnell, Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, defended his credibility amid a steady stream of attacks on his expertise and trustworthiness from the White House.

In late February and early March as the COVID-19 outbreak began accelerating in the US, hospitals and health facilities experienced severe shortages of personal protective equipment for healthcare workers. In response, experts like Fauci and the US Surgeon General Jerome Adams advised Americans against wearing masks.

"I don't regret anything I said then because in the context of the time in which I said it, it was correct. We were told in our task force meetings that we have a serious problem with the lack of PPEs and masks for the health providers who are putting themselves in harm's way every day to take care of sick people," Fauci told O'Donnell.

"When it became clear that we could get the infection could be spread by asymptomatic carriers who don't know they're infected, that made it very clear that we had to strongly recommend masks," he said.

"And also, it soon became clear that we had enough protective equipment and that cloth masks and homemade masks were as good as masks that you would buy from surgical supply stores," Fauci added. "So in the context of when we were not strongly recommending it, it was the correct thing."

https://www.businessinsider.com/fauc...andemic-2020-7

Old 09-19-2020, 05:51 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,751 times
Quote:
Fauci admitted to lying. That’s not evolving science. That’s having an agenda. There’s a lot of that going around. Take a look at Nashville.

If masks are more effective than a vaccine, enforce the mask wearing and lift all restrictions. That won’t happen because they’re not more effective than a vaccine.

If I recall correctly, WHO at first was also did not recommend wearing a mask, unless one was feeling ill. I do know there was concern early on in the pandemic, that if their was a run on N95 masks, healthcare providers could be left in the lurch in regard to N95 masks.

No, i was not thrilled when I heard what Fauci later admitted in regard to masks.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
If I recall correctly, WHO at first was also did not recommend wearing a mask, unless one was feeling ill. I do know there was concern early on in the pandemic, that if their was a run on N95 masks, healthcare providers could be left in the lurch in regard to N95 masks.

No, i was not thrilled when I heard what Fauci later admitted in regard to masks.
I’m sure they help and I do wear one, but I understand why there’s a lot of argument back and forth. What I don’t understand is either yelling, screaming and acting like a toddler when told you (the general you) have to wear one and assaulting people who don’t wear one.

It’s gotten crazy.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:23 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
I don’t think anyone thinks masks are more effective than a vaccine. However, they’re one of the few tools we have right now to minimize COVID spread, in addition to social distancing, testing, contact tracing and isolation. Since our government isn’t willing to do the rest to the extent needed, masks are really our first line of defense right now.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I don’t think anyone thinks masks are more effective than a vaccine. However, they’re one of the few tools we have right now to minimize COVID spread, in addition to social distancing, testing, contact tracing and isolation. Since our government isn’t willing to do the rest to the extent needed, masks are really our first line of defense right now.
I agree, but the CDC director said masks may be more effective than a vaccine, which is ludicrous. We’ll just keep wearing them until the vaccine is ready.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:34 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
I agree, but the CDC director said masks may be more effective than a vaccine, which is ludicrous. We’ll just keep wearing them until the vaccine is ready.
Probably because of all the anti Vaxxers out there.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:09 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
I’m sure they help and I do wear one, but I understand why there’s a lot of argument back and forth. What I don’t understand is either yelling, screaming and acting like a toddler when told you (the general you) have to wear one and assaulting people who don’t wear one.

It’s gotten crazy.
What gets very frustrating for me is that there are still people who do not understand that the masks are principally for preventing germs from spreading from the mask wearer to another person. Even now, just today, somebody who posted in this thread asked if somebody is dying, how we know they were always wearing a mask, implying that masks are intended to prevent the wearer from getting the Coronavirus. And I really wonder how many people walking around out there are still not understanding how the mask deal works, despite us being more than half a year into this pandemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California