Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2020, 11:43 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

If Americans would stop complaining about face masks and wear them when they leave their homes, they could save well over 100,000 lives — and perhaps more than half a million — through the end of February, according to a study published Friday in Nature Medicine.

The researchers considered five scenarios for how the COVID-19 pandemic could play out with different levels of mask-wearing and rules about staying home and social distancing. All the scenarios assumed that no vaccine was available, nor any medicines capable of curing the disease.

Consistently, the most effective — not to mention cheapest and easiest — way to reduce deaths was to increase the number of people wearing masks.

https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...-671-000-lives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 11:52 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,142,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
If Americans would stop complaining about face masks and wear them when they leave their homes, they could save well over 100,000 lives — and perhaps more than half a million — through the end of February, according to a study published Friday in Nature Medicine.

The researchers considered five scenarios for how the COVID-19 pandemic could play out with different levels of mask-wearing and rules about staying home and social distancing. All the scenarios assumed that no vaccine was available, nor any medicines capable of curing the disease.

Consistently, the most effective — not to mention cheapest and easiest — way to reduce deaths was to increase the number of people wearing masks.

We all know that Americans will not stop complaining and 40-50% of the country will not wear a mask either consistently or at all.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
We all know that Americans will not stop complaining and 40-50% of the country will not wear a mask either consistently or at all.
You mean we all know that YOU won't.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:21 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
What makes you think that those that refuse to wear mask now will wear them in the future if they are provided with N95?
Not necessary requiring everyone in public to wear n95 which is now in short supply and most manufactures give first priority to firms that need it the most.
Though if that happens that would be truely be a de facto curfew/hard lockdown since n95 are so rare most people have no access to them. But that would literally require martial law to enforce.

Though I be curious if we require food handlers, grocery workers, government workers, hair stylists, Barbers, massagers, janitors, chiropractics, airport screeners, other occupations that may be hazardous due to constant close contact with people to wear KF94, FF02, Ps, JNHLW if N95 is not available which is more of the norm than the exception. And doctors offices/hospitals offer patients and those accompanying them such masks or antiviral masks. Same with airlines.
And require anti viral masks for other people in settings where masks are required. I be curious would anything change?

Surgical masks and others seems worthless as it leaks too much air through. I notice that Asians in the Far East had severely let loose in mask wearing recently Compared to earlier in the year. I see on news and other tv programs that shows there, almost 40% or more people no longer wear masks in public. Guess they probably find it not as effective they used to think. Though I recently heard on NHK, taxis in Japan are fighting for a mask requirement for passengers to ride in taxis which currently they are not required to nor can they demand masks to let people in the cab.

Old 10-30-2020, 07:10 AM

If Americans would stop complaining about face masks and wear them when they leave their homes, they could save well over 100,000 lives — and perhaps more than half a million — through the end of February, according to a study published Friday (10/30) in Nature Medicine.

Old 10-30-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
If Americans would stop complaining about face masks and wear them when they leave their homes, they could save well over 100,000 lives — and perhaps more than half a million — through the end of February, according to a study published Friday (10/30) in Nature Medicine.

Nothing but a dream, it will never happen.

Old 10-30-2020, 02:51 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Nothing but a dream, it will never happen.
So, why is it that you'll wear a mask when with a client but not otherwise? Is it because you know its good for your business and it'll make a difference for you financially?

We can either take the carrot or the stick approach. You're already compliant when there's the carrot. How about the stick? What if they significantly increased the financial penalty for mask non-compliance, made it widespread (state or nationwide - under a Biden administration) and beefed up the enforcement? If there was a credible disincentive (e.g., stick) to continue your current actions, I'll bet you'd comply. Unless you are ok paying hundreds of dollars per offense for your pure principle.

Old 10-30-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
So, why is it that you'll wear a mask when with a client but not otherwise? Is it because you know its good for your business and it'll make a difference for you financially?

We can either take the carrot or the stick approach. You're already compliant when there's the carrot. How about the stick? What if they significantly increased the financial penalty for mask non-compliance, made it widespread (state or nationwide - under a Biden administration) and beefed up the enforcement? If there was a credible disincentive (e.g., stick) to continue your current actions, I'll bet you'd comply. Unless you are ok paying hundreds of dollars per offense for your pure principle.

I wear mask for comfort of my client, if client is without a mask i take my off. Regarding mandate, 10th amendment will prevent president regardless who he is from making a mandate. As for penalty, if it's too high it will be in violation of 8th amendment. Also good luck getting local police to enforce this against citizens, there is already enough push to defund the police, i don't think they want another reason for that. Lastly all orders have an exemption and under ADA one is not required to carry that exemption with them.

Old 10-30-2020, 04:01 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
I wear mask for comfort of my client, if client is without a mask i take my off. Regarding mandate, 10th amendment will prevent president regardless who he is from making a mandate. As for penalty, if it's too high it will be in violation of 8th amendment. Also good luck getting local police to enforce this against citizens, there is already enough push to defund the police, i don't think they want another reason for that. Lastly all orders have an exemption and under ADA one is not required to carry that exemption with them.
Again with the ADA misinformation? Under ADA a person with a medically verifiable condition that specifically relates to the need for a compliance exemption does not need to carry proof. (Medically verifiable by a licensed medical professional who has conducted an exam on the individual claiming exemption.)

What you are intending to infer is that anyone can get away with claiming an exemption because no proof of exemption is required of persons who need the exemption. That is not true. Anyone CAN be challenged on their claim of ADA exemption. The challenger CAN refuse service, or in the case of enforcement issue citations. If the person who is refused consideration / issued a citation doesn’t like it they can report to the ADA or local state disability services or an attorney and request redress - which may include initiation of a lawsuit.

Redress action, whether in court or through ADA complaint, then requires specific proof of professionally validated condition. If the complainant does not have the condition claimed, they will be subject to thousands of dollars in fines and costs.

Now, all that covered, again, I have corrected you on this what: a dozen times in posts over the last ½ year? Yet you continue to post this misleading information.

Old 10-30-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Again with the ADA misinformation? Under ADA a person with a medically verifiable condition that specifically relates to the need for a compliance exemption does not need to carry proof. (Medically verifiable by a licensed medical professional who has conducted an exam on the individual claiming exemption.)

What you are intending to infer is that anyone can get away with claiming an exemption because no proof of exemption is required of persons who need the exemption. That is not true. Anyone CAN be challenged on their claim of ADA exemption. The challenger CAN refuse service, or in the case of enforcement issue citations. If the person who is refused consideration / issued a citation doesn’t like it they can report to the ADA or local state disability services or an attorney and request redress - which may include initiation of a lawsuit.

Redress action, whether in court or through ADA complaint, then requires specific proof of professionally validated condition. If the complainant does not have the condition claimed, they will be subject to thousands of dollars in fines and costs.

Now, all that covered, again, I have corrected you on this what: a dozen times in posts over the last ½ year? Yet you continue to post this misleading information.

Your local cop do not care. I had to say that 1 time only in Santa Monica and the reply was oh okay. Cops just do not care to enforce mask order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California