Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 10:42 AM

43 posts, read 67,916 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm looking for hints & tips on the best areas to go to for July 4th (and other nights such as New Years Eve) to avoid the fireworks.

I have an anxious dog and would like to find somewhere to help alleviate his stress.

I reside in Los Angeles, near Pasadena but am looking for anywhere to stay (hotel, vacation rental etc) within California that would get us as far away from the noise . Obviously the closer the better but I'm happy to drive a few hundred miles.

As a side note we get a few fireworks here once in a while and unfortunately the thundervest, white noise etc don't work.

I look forward to hearing your hints and tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 01:20 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,042 times
Who knows if firework stands will be banned this year due to coronavirus.

Old 05-16-2020, 02:15 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Go camping in a National Forest. Stay outside of a campground.

Fireworks are BANNED in all National Forests.

Old 05-16-2020, 03:11 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Go camping in a National Forest. Stay outside of a campground.

Fireworks are BANNED in all National Forests.
Make sure you find one, that allows dogs, many do not allow pets.

Old 05-16-2020, 03:57 PM

Thank you, I'll take a look at National Forests.

Are there any counties that are known to have less/zero fireworks due to bans, small population etc?

Old 05-16-2020, 05:27 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
San Diego has cancelled all 4th of July fireworks displays, so you don't have to worry about it until possibly NYE.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
San Diego has cancelled all 4th of July fireworks displays, so you don't have to worry about it until possibly NYE.
For my particular situation that's good news, however, I can only imagine this will lead to many people setting off their own fireworks in their backyards (whether legal or not). From what I've seen in previous years in Long Beach, San Fernando Valley and San Bernardino Valley people were setting off fireworks in their back yards despite if they were supposed to or not.

If organized events are to be canceled then I believe I need to find somewhere secluded to avoid those back yard 'displays'.

Sadly, I'm not much of a camper... not sure I would survive for a night in the wild .

My best option I believe would be to locate areas I can get a vacation rental, somewhere with minimal houses, perhaps in woodland where fireworks are simply not a thing.

I'm still working my way through various vacation rental sites and maps to try and pinpoint the best areas.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:01 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
I feel your pain. One of mine, we had to literally take her for a ride to a rest area on the Interstate just put her at ease enough to potty. At the height of things, as in the day of, I would take the dogs for a 4 mile walk and play to wear them down. Shortly before the festivities, Benadryl. Just enough to take the edge off. Also, my behavior helped. If I dreaded it and They could sense it, they wouldmost feed off of me. If I acted as if it were normal they would be calmer.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I feel your pain. One of mine, we had to literally take her for a ride to a rest area on the Interstate just put her at ease enough to potty. At the height of things, as in the day of, I would take the dogs for a 4 mile walk and play to wear them down. Shortly before the festivities, Benadryl. Just enough to take the edge off. Also, my behavior helped. If I dreaded it and They could sense it, they wouldmost feed off of me. If I acted as if it were normal they would be calmer.

Thank you, I will definitely keep a rest area as a backup idea. He's more of a slow sniffer than a long walker, 20-30 minutes in and he usually needs to stop, he tires out but I'm not entirely sure he would zonk out for a long enough period. I'd like to avoid any medication but will speak to vet regardless to ensure that's an option

I hope you're doggy has a calm July 4th this year. Now if there was a firework free secluded island that would be great

Old 05-18-2020, 08:37 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
With big firework displays being cancelled it's almost a guarantee of people creating their own all over with fireworks from Mexico, Arizona and Nevada having easy access to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California