Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,357 times

Advertisements

When the Real estate market looks to good to be true I must question the locals before my move from Florida to California. My new job starts in West Hollywood next year but the LA area is SUPER expensive. My research shows areas like Bakersfield and Palmdale to have affordable housing and not too far of a commute to West Hollywood. I need any advice, knowledge and recommendations from yall! Thank You!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 10:41 AM

1,210 posts, read 876,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanaDro13 View Post
Bakersfield and Palmdale ... not too far of a commute to West Hollywood.
Oh man...NOT POSSIBLE unless you have a helicopter. Even the San Fernando Valley to West Hollywood is killer at rush hour.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:24 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,462,258 times
They're both impossible commutes. Hours and hours and hours a day in the worst traffic in the country. If you can't find a reasonable place in LA I don't know what to tell you about the job.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:17 PM

341 posts, read 289,810 times
I once knew a guy that commuted from West Covina to Oxnard every day (his commute was normally 2 hours), but it was a six figure job so to him it was worth it. And, i've read about people who commute from Riverside or SB county to LA every day which is probably close to 2 hours each way in traffic . So some people will resort to drastic measures for cheaper housing if the job pays enough. Palmdale might be a possibility if you don't mind a 1-2 hour commute each way. Bakersfield is over 100 miles away over mountains that sometimes get enough snow and ice in winter to shut down 5 for several hours, so that seems impossible.

From Palmdale if you can leave for work at 4:00-4:30 am you might be able to get there in slightly over 1 hour if there's not much traffic. But your drive home will likely be brutal unless it's after 9 PM. Your best bet is to make a trip out and stay at a hotel in Palmdale and drive it to Weho when you would normally commute and see how it goes.

I couldn't do it personally I would resort to getting roommates and live closer before that kind of a commute. And I hate roommates. But that's just me.

Good luck.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post
I once knew a guy that commuted from West Covina to Oxnard every day (his commute was normally 2 hours), but it was a six figure job so to him it was worth it. And, i've read about people who commute from Riverside or SB county to LA every day which is probably close to 2 hours each way in traffic . So some people will resort to drastic measures for cheaper housing if the job pays enough. Palmdale might be a possibility if you don't mind a 1-2 hour commute each way. Bakersfield is over 100 miles away over mountains that sometimes get enough snow and ice in winter to shut down 5 for several hours, so that seems impossible.

From Palmdale if you can leave for work at 4:00-4:30 am you might be able to get there in slightly over 1 hour if there's not much traffic. But your drive home will likely be brutal unless it's after 9 PM. Your best bet is to make a trip out and stay at a hotel in Palmdale and drive it to Weho when you would normally commute and see how it goes.

I couldn't do it personally I would resort to getting roommates and live closer before that kind of a commute. And I hate roommates. But that's just me.

Good luck.

When I worked at Raytheon in Goleta, there was a dude there who worked a 4X10 week and he commuted daily from RIVERSIDE! He got up at 1:30 AM and worked like 6-430 or something like that.
I was working in Irvine and there was a dude who commuted from Camarillo.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
When I worked at Raytheon in Goleta, there was a dude there who worked a 4X10 week and he commuted daily from RIVERSIDE! He got up at 1:30 AM and worked like 6-430 or something like that.
I was working in Irvine and there was a dude who commuted from Camarillo.
Wow that Riverside to Goleta commute sounds like my own vision of a living hell. Although Irvine to Camarillo doesn't sound much better. How long were those commutes? I am getting stressed out even trying to imagine it, lol.

The West Covina to Oxnard guy also worked a 4x10 so he could drive at times when the traffic was slightly less. But still that's average 2 hours each way, with the occasional 3 hours thrown in if there was a bad accident.

That's got to reduce your lifespan if done over a period of years, I just don't see how this is a healthy lifestyle..

Old 08-11-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post
Wow that Riverside to Goleta commute sounds like my own vision of a living hell. Although Irvine to Camarillo doesn't sound much better. How long were those commutes? I am getting stressed out even trying to imagine it, lol.

The West Covina to Oxnard guy also worked a 4x10 so he could drive at times when the traffic was slightly less. But still that's average 2 hours each way, with the occasional 3 hours thrown in if there was a bad accident.

That's got to reduce your lifespan if done over a period of years, I just don't see how this is a healthy lifestyle..

Especially today with unemployment so low. Even if you had to take a slight pay cut, it's worth it to live near your home.

I heard there was some statistic that people in Palmdale have a higher rate of domestic violence and one theory was so many people out there have nasty commutes.

Dad comes home stressed out from his commute and POW, Right in the Kisser!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpHzPzjUTY8

Old 08-11-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I heard there was some statistic that people in Palmdale have a higher rate of domestic violence and one theory was so many people out there have nasty commutes.
It wouldn't surprise me. My worst commute was Mid-Wilshire to Thousand Oaks in the middle of the recession when I was on a project in between full time employment. That commute was 1.5 hours on a good day, and I could only handle it for about 3 months and finally took a lower paying job just to be done with it. I would literally feel physically ill from headaches after that commute in the winter when it was dark and rainy. Never again.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:50 PM

265 posts, read 256,051 times
Vana-

Does the new job pay more compared to a similar position with a shorter commute? What would the salary differential be, if any? For example:

Scenario 1

1 hour commute each way, which is reasonable and probably the norm.

Scenario 2

2 hour commute each way or an additional 500 hours commuting per year versus scenario 1. With an additional salary of $20,000 that would work out to $40 per hour less additional gas and wear and tear on your vehicle. Would you accept an additional part time job at those numbers?

It just comes down to the economics of the situation.

Last edited by rbwpi; 08-11-2019 at 02:09 PM..

Old 08-11-2019, 03:20 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,852,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanaDro13 View Post
When the Real estate market looks to good to be true I must question the locals before my move from Florida to California. My new job starts in West Hollywood next year but the LA area is SUPER expensive. My research shows areas like Bakersfield and Palmdale to have affordable housing and not too far of a commute to West Hollywood. I need any advice, knowledge and recommendations from yall! Thank You!!
Are you single? What's you monthly rent budget?

Take a look on the map, even the "less desirable" neighborhoods but easier commute are far more "desirable" than Bakersfield or Palmdale.

Start researching rentals in these closer areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California