Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 12:09 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Maybe due to the cheap housing and close proximity to bay area.

Some people who live in the Central Valley communities work in the bay area.
Sorry, but Fresno is not commute distance to the Bay Area. Perhaps that'll change once HSR is built (if it ever happens), but not today. Even cities like Tracy, Brentwood, Manteca and Stockton are mega commutes for Bay Area residents.

I cannot imagine having to do that from Fresno, where you're looking at 3-4 hours each way, depending upon where in the Bay Area you work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 12:50 PM

478 posts, read 691,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Sorry, but Fresno is not commute distance to the Bay Area. Perhaps that'll change once HSR is built (if it ever happens), but not today. Even cities like Tracy, Brentwood, Manteca and Stockton are mega commutes for Bay Area residents.

I cannot imagine having to do that from Fresno, where you're looking at 3-4 hours each way, depending upon where in the Bay Area you work.
Many at the moment commute to the bay area from the cities you mentioned like Tracy, Manteca, even stockton, even modesto. Many even from Elk Grove and upwards in Sac. And it has become so common that it has been accepted without little criticism.

Geographically all those cities are closer to the greater bay area. Without traffic many of those places like Mountain House/Tracy are only an hour. Of course the reality is during the normal work week traffic, its an easy 2-3 hours EACH WAY. I've come across many who live in Sac and work in the bay area.

Fresno can and does have similar situations but more limited. The closest realistic commute they can do is to San Jose. IF someone was to move to Fresno and live in the desireable areas of North Fresno, the typical drive to the core of san jose without traffic is a flat 2 hours if going 70-80mph with the usual slowdowns of stop lights in los banos and 1 lane roads and slow down through the 152 through gilroy. Now imagine if infrastructure was actually better and mimicked that of the nicer wider freeways that sac and north valley cities have. A los banos bypass and an actual highway/freeway thats multi lane bypassing gilroy 152 to connect to the 101 would shave an easy 30 mins.

Anyways, Sacramento to SJ varies depending in which city in sac you live in. It could be 120-140 miles. North Fresno to SJ is 140 miles. Like I said, sac and north valley cities are generally closer to all parts of the greater bay area. While Fresno's only realistic connection to mega commute is SJ. Anything further north than that if one has to work any more north of SJ will be 3 hours (with no traffic)

Despite better infrastructure of freeways/roads for all the north valley cities and sac, it simply has more traffic because its been accepted to do mega commutes and is more prone to traffic. Fresno has lesser prone to traffic areas but limited by simply the lack of infrastructure and causes bottle necks for the mega commuters from los banos, until they meet with the rest of the pack on 101 from hollister/gilroy/salinas/monterey

All I'm saying is if there are those commuting from stockton/modesto/Sac to the bay area and it seems the norm, while if one says they are commuting from Fresno to SJ and first reaction is of huge surprise and disgust like WTF, but the big picture is its about the same mileage, same time as the many commuting from sac and north valley due to more prone to traffic up there--heck fresno to sj could even be faster than sac to sj because they arent fighting as much commuters compared to up north.

Many will say all this is a stretch, but again, Im just saying Fresno to SJ (2hrs), not Fresno to say SF/Oakland which is a good 3 hours with no traffic. If one is semi remote, and moves to Sac because the office is in SJ and only 2 hours when they have to go, I'm saying that there is an ALTERNATIVE as you can do similar in another big city in Fresno to SJ which is also 2 hours and the median price of a home is $100-150K less than sac.

Old 08-14-2020, 01:04 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post

Many will say all this is a stretch, but again, Im just saying Fresno to SJ (2hrs), not Fresno to say SF/Oakland which is a good 3 hours with no traffic. If one is semi remote, and moves to Sac because the office is in SJ and only 2 hours when they have to go, I'm saying that there is an ALTERNATIVE as you can do similar in another big city in Fresno to SJ which is also 2 hours and the median price of a home is $100-150K less than sac.
Most people that I know who commute do not live further than places like Tracy, Brentwood, etc. or commute by train to the Bay Area and don't have to come into the office every day. I don't see a lot of folks driving from Sacramento to the Bay Area daily and can't imagine that many in Fresno do the same. I'm sure there are some blue collar workers, but that's not the norm.

I also don't think 2 hours to SJ every day is realistic either. Maybe 2 hours if you're going 80-90 mph at 3am, but that's not going to happen during commute hours. And commute hours start very early, at least they did pre-COVID. I agree with you on the infrastructure, in terms of the number of stop lights in Los Banos, the single lane road on 152 between Los Banos and Gilroy, etc. However, when you put traffic on top of that, I can't see it being much less than 4 hours during rush hour (although I don't drive this or check this regularly).

Last edited by roadwarrior101; 08-14-2020 at 01:15 PM..

Old 08-15-2020, 08:15 PM

6,900 posts, read 8,271,145 times
Difference between Fresno's proximity to Bay Area and Sacramento's proximity to Bay Area. Sacramento averages 1.5 hours to 2 hours CLOSER to the Bay Area than Fresno by Car.

Sacramento (Metro) is as close as 22 minutes to the Bay Area as long as 1hr, 33 minutes.

Fresno (Metro) is as close as 2 hours, 14 minutes to the Bay Area as long as 3 hrs, 17 minutes.

Added Bonus: Sacramento to Bay Area on: The Capitol Corridor Train
Sacramento has had a fast commuter train to the Bay Area for over 20 years. Twelve (12) trains a day-pre-covid, free wifi, it it the most comfortable and largest commuter train of all the trains in the Bay Area. It connects Auburn, Roseville, Downtown Sacramento, and Davis with numerous major cities in the Bay Area. It even connects all the sport venues within walking distance and it connects UC Davis, UC Berkeley, and Santa Clara University.

By Car: Sacramento to Bay Area - One Way
Note: I added the name of a major employer in each of the Bay Area towns listed.

Davis to Vacaville - Genetech - 21 miles / 22 minutes - Shortest commute
Davis to Fairfield - Travis AFB - 29 miles / 30 minutes
Davis to Berkeley - UC Berkeley - 64 miles/ 56 minutes
Davis to Emeryville - Pixar - 64 miles/ 57 minutes
Davis to San Francisco - Sales Force - 74 miles/ 1 hr, 11 minutes
Davis to Oakland - Sierra Club - 68 miles / 1 hour
Davis to Walnut Creek - John Muir Health - 57 miles / 57 minutes
Davis to Livermore - Lawrence Livermore Laboratory - 83 miles / 1 hr, 14 minutes
Davis to Pleasanton - Safeway Headquarters - 79 miles / 1 hr, 12 minutes
Davis to Fremont - Tesla - 94 miles / 1 hr, 24 minutes
Davis to Santa Clara - Intel - 105 miles / 1hr, 36 minutes
Davis to San Jose - IBM - 106 miles / 1hr, 33 minutes - Longest commute

By Car: Fresno to Bay Area - One Way

North Fresno to Vacaville - 191 miles / 3 hrs, 17 minutes - Longest commute
North Fresno to San Francisco - 193 miles / 3 hours
North Fresno to Fairfield - 185 miles / 2 hrs, 50 minutes
North Fresno to Berkeley - 185 miles / 2 hrs, 45 minutes
North Fresno to Emeryville - 185 miles / 2 hrs, 42 minutes
North Fresno to Oakland - 181 miles / 2 hrs, 38 minutes
North Fresno to Walnut Creek - 175 miles / 2 hrs, 32 minutes
North Fresno to Livermore - 150 miles / 2 hrs, 14 minutes - Shortest commute
North Fresno to Pleasanton - 158 miles / 2 hrs, 38 minutes
North Fresno to Fremont - 171 miles / 2 hrs, 39 minutes
North Fresno to Santa Clara - 162 miles / 2 hrs, 33 minutes
North Fresno to San Jose - 156 miles / 2 hrs, 28 minutes

*I used the closest town(area) for Fresno(North Fresno) and Sacramento(Davis) to the Bay Area, and I used Google Maps.

Last edited by Chimérique; 08-15-2020 at 08:25 PM..

Old 08-22-2020, 05:30 AM

1,306 posts, read 853,380 times
can anyone please comment on which elementary and middle schools are the best in Fresno and how to determine their rankings ? thanks

Old 08-22-2020, 06:51 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
can anyone please comment on which elementary and middle schools are the best in Fresno and how to determine their rankings ? thanks
Look in the Clovis Unified School District.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:38 PM

478 posts, read 691,111 times
Quote:
greatschools.org

basically anything in Clovis Unified is all ranked high. Everything is 8, 9, or 10 out of 10.
Clovis unified is not just in the city of clovis. Part of North fresno also falls into clovis unified.

Central unified if you live in the north part of fresno but isnt part of clovis unified, is generally good with some less lower score schools as you move more south of the boundaries.

Fresno unified is a mixed bag and its best you resarch your address and designated schools and read their reviews.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:11 PM

1,306 posts, read 853,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
greatschools.org

basically anything in Clovis Unified is all ranked high. Everything is 8, 9, or 10 out of 10.
Clovis unified is not just in the city of clovis. Part of North fresno also falls into clovis unified.

Central unified if you live in the north part of fresno but isnt part of clovis unified, is generally good with some less lower score schools as you move more south of the boundaries.

Fresno unified is a mixed bag and its best you resarch your address and designated schools and read their reviews.
ok finally signed in Fresno , for better or worse

anybody has any predictions about the housing market in Fresno by middle of next yr ?

Old 10-09-2020, 06:29 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,065 times
Quote:
ok finally signed in Fresno , for better or worse

anybody has any predictions about the housing market in Fresno by middle of next yr ?
Well one says prices will drop, another says they will stay about the same and a third says they will go up. Take your pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California