Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 01:19 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
HB, you had me agreeing with you, right up to the MBA. No, no, no! OP cannot "educate" him/herself out of this problem any more than you can borrow your way out of debt. Bus Admin doesn't really teach you anything practical (which could be said of many university degrees); people who are already employed get them just to make themselves more promotable.
LOL... Do you have any idea what does a MBA do?

Concentrate your MBA in one of "hard skill" area, e.g., finance, accounting, entrepreneurship, etc. Understand how money works then you have the choice to get into investment banking or starting your coffee shop as a business, your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 01:32 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Yeap, I’m now an Art major, I wasn’t dying doing an engineering job for 35 years. Keep spreading lots of this bogus online.
I've been doing engineering job for 35 years, I have not die yet (checked pulse & verified)

I enjoy exploring & experimenting. For the last 35 years I have been exploring/ experimenting where the edge of physics fall off the cliff. It has been very satisfying.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:59 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
I am sorry about this OP , I really am . Texas is my home state and I left LONG AGO for the reasons you mentioned and I just really am not like those people there at all .

I have had s many Californians tell me how they want to move there over the decades and I try everything to talk them out of it . Yes come back .
To be able to save some money you can stay at your moms or after ryou get a little cash , you may want to investigate a residential hostel . There are alot of them now that are grouped by lifestyle or situation . My Youngest daughter lives in an artists hostel where they have to have proof they are working or going to school in the arts . It is communal living but with hostel rules and very clean and productive . Shes had a number of good auditions and networking opportunities come from it also and met a lot of connections through others there .
I know that is not what you do but they have hostels n LA geared to your education / work life also . Its been great for her and would be for you too to help you start over .

Old 07-02-2020, 04:16 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I've been doing engineering job for 35 years, I have not die yet (checked pulse & verified)
A little different than an art history major spending his/her life as an HVAC repair technician, no?

Old 07-03-2020, 07:28 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
A little different than an art history major spending his/her life as an HVAC repair technician, no?
Hyperbole much? Why would they be a HVAC repair technician, there are tons of other work out there.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Hyperbole much? Why would they be a HVAC repair technician, there are tons of other work out there.
Scroll back, dear. It was in response to another post.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:32 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,715 times
Quote:

Concentrate your MBA in one of "hard skill" area, e.g., finance, accounting, entrepreneurship, etc. Understand how money works then you have the choice to get into investment banking or starting your coffee shop as a business, your choice.
Oh yeah, I know several people who wasted 2 - 4 years on an MBA, hoping it would help them in the business world. One was a colleague who was contract teaching in a community college. He's still contract teaching at the community college, despite having the MBA for over 10 years now. Another is a relative who got a BA in "Communications" (Art History's brother from another mother). She's still working gig jobs. The MBA doesn't make up for lacking education &/or experience in a "hard" subject. If you have a degree and/or experience in finance or accounting then you don't really need the MBA except to make your resume nice & shiny. The MBA is not for basic skills.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:42 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:

I get the idea that an mba may help you land a job as an investment banker, but starting up a business I think it’s a waste. Better to take that extra money and use it as seed money. I started up my own business and all I had was a two year degree. Did better than a lot of others that had more advanced degrees than myself.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:17 AM

130,330 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Stay with your Mom in Iowa for a while & save every dime you can, so that you have something to fall back on, once you move. Is there any chance at getting re employed at your old firm, in California? Good luck.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Oh yeah, I know several people who wasted 2 - 4 years on an MBA, hoping it would help them in the business world.
I don't agree. Out of the five MBAs in our extended family, two started their own businesses and have done well, and one was the CEO of a non-profit....more importantly, they like what they’re doing. One had an undergrad degree in history (not art). However, I wouldn't advise going back to school during this pandemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California