Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 02:01 PM

29 posts, read 28,519 times

Advertisements

Well to whoever is interested I did move to westside Danville last year and here is my take so far on the schools, the politics, and the people:
1. West side was a mistake. There are very very few Indians here, they are all on the sides where all the newer construction and smaller lots are. But we disliked these neighborhoods and decided to stick with the west side. We also looked at San Ramon, Diablo, Alamo. In the end there was not much to choose from.

San Ramon is much more diverse than our area of Danville. Alamo is quite similar to West Danville. Diablo had a lot of Trump signs.

I did not know it at the time, but Contra Costa County Sheriff has a history of protecting bad cops, and our local town counsel is all buddied up with him. This has resulted in two men of color being killed by the same police officer. I do not feel very safe in Danville when it is being promoted as the safest town in California and law enforcement is not being held accountable. I decided to become an activist on behalf of the victims of brutality and have encountered that most of these wealthy middle aged people on their bicycles do not have much interest in what is happening outside their own demographic.

I drive to Berkeley pretty regularly and definitely see a lot more diversity and an air of both good will and histility among people. It's weird. I feel more at home in Oakland than I do in Danville. I am not a woman of color but seeing how ignorant and privileged people living in Danville are, I have a distaste for it.

Yeah, very few politically informed people around Danville.

People ARE nice though, and I feel the main reason I moved here is for my children, one of whom has special needs. So, no regrets there.

The schools are definitely subpar in comparison to the ones we had in Michigan, both in terms of leadership and services. However, the teachers and curriculum are better.

I have to drive half an hour to find decent Mexican food. That is a real bummer.

San Francisco is a shadow of its former self from 30 years ago. It has become much grimier.

There is an obvious conflict in people who want to have a nice town but also cannot keep out the trouble makers. You can't have it both ways. I drive to these areas where the homeless live and I ask how they are doing. These are traumatized people who need our love. I am glad they at least have this to come to. In florida and most other places they would be further ostracized.

Well as long as they avoid Danville they might avoid being shot in the face.

PEople are kind in Danville. I love waving to my neighbord. So even though I don't think I will ever fully assimilate I hope my children are lucky enough to have the privilege and blissful ignorance of Danville.

The housing crisis is insane. Everyone who works in a domestic setting for me lives in a million dollar home san drives a mercedes or audi. My assistants live in million dollar homes. I cannot wrap my head around it.

I regret moving here. Mainly because the architects, builders, and contractors are a nightmare to deal with.

If I could do it again I would move to the more diverse San Ramon area and NOT have any construction plans in my real estate purchases.

Politically, I do not love KAmala and Biden, and very few people I have spoken to are informed about their track records or interested in progressive platforms. Too busy paying their mortgages.

I hope this feedback helps some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,764 times
You squeak about cops shooting ”people of color” - who were probably violent career criminals. And yet you're obviously the kind of person who would be in grave danger without police protection.

I'm one of those people you claim to want to help. Why don't you relocate to my neighborhood here in Oakland and see how you feel about the police then?

You wouldn't last a day. But since you don't know, when the police are the only thing between you and the local gangs, you develop a profound appreciation of their bravery, integrity, and self-sacrifice. Their character is basically the exact opposite of yours.

I'll let you get back to your high-and-mighty complaining from your rich, safe enclave, but you should know that "activists" like YOU hurt people like ME, who depend on the police for survival, with all of your idealistic whining & protesting.

Old 07-05-2021, 07:07 PM

4,026 posts, read 4,411,211 times
Danville was a "ghost town" over 4th of July.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:17 PM

Your post is laughable for sooo many reasons. Let's start with your ASSUMPTIONS.

1. people of color "who were probably violent career criminals"

You are a flat out racist. Just because a person of color gets shot does not mean they were people of color. In fact two men of color-Laudemer Arboleda and Tyrell Wilson- are examples of two men of color living in Danville who were killed by the same brutal thug cop. No thanks to racists like you and the shirriff in our town, officer Hall was finally arraigned on charges OVER TWO AND A HALF YEARS LATER.

Take a look at how your bias affects social justice for people of color. People like you who say that were "probably" criminals. It's your oassive racist midnset. Ignorant, judgmental, and disinterested in the FACTS.

2. "I'm one of those people you claim to want to help. "

Yeah, no. I am not interested in helping racists unless they happen to be unhoused and mentally ill.

3. "Why don't you relocate to my neighborhood here in Oakland and see how you feel about the police then?"

I spend time around and in Oakland frequently. I was there for Juneteenth and saw the mural at the Black Panther's museum just last week. You probably don't know anything about what I just said and have not educated about the very community you whine about living in.

4. "You wouldn't last a day. But since you don't know, when the police are the only thing between you and the local gangs, you develop a profound appreciation of their bravery, integrity, and self-sacrifice. Their character is basically the exact opposite of yours. "

Hilarious on every level. I have spent a lot of time on the streets of LA and Portland, and I do outreach for a reason. I lasted more than a day. Your point? Big ASSUMPTIONS from a classist racist no doubt sexist.

And if you ask MY PEOPLE what they think of the cops, and whether it was cops who helped them get out, or stay safe: they would show you what colors they wear. There is a reason we say BLACK LIVE MATTER and not BACK THE BLUE in the most dangerous cities. Do you even really live in Oakland? I bet you get beat up a lot. Do you clutch your purse walking down the street? How laughable.

5. "I'll let you get back to your high-and-mighty complaining from your rich, safe enclave, but you should know that "activists" like YOU hurt people like ME, who depend on the police for survival, with all of your idealistic whining & protesting."

I can AFFORD to live in Danville but I do so because I have a child with special needs who needs a good public education.

The truth is, you are jealous that I have it all. Money, informed, active, and realize what a sad uninformed racist you are.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:57 PM

7,664 posts, read 5,375,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thparkly View Post
I regret moving here. Mainly because the architects, builders, and contractors are a nightmare to deal with.

If I could do it again I would move to the more diverse San Ramon area and NOT have any construction plans in my real estate purchases.
West side Danville is so obviously not ideal for many of your desires/needs, that I am surprised you chose it.
Did you look into Fremont at all?

There are many successful Southeast Asians/Indians living in Fremont. It's a real cohesive community within a very diverse city. Fremont is itself part of Silicon Vally, and you can delve deeper into the heart of Silicon Valley very quickly, and there is also public transit.

Here are a few videos (of many varied cultural videos) for you to peruse:

Indian market Bharat Bazar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F0MXXLJTUc

A fusion Sikh/American wedding shot at the Sikh Gurdwara in Fremont and ICC in Milpitas.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FXVNtxPNDM

Diwali in Fremont:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...diwali+fremont

Hindu Fremont:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=hindu+fremont

Old 07-08-2021, 12:39 AM

Thanks for the tips. We avoided predominantly south Asian communities for a variety of reasons, but the main was is that we have a special needs child and find a toxic level of competitiveness and intolerance of differences in the Indian cultures and it negatively affects public schools.

That said, the high school we are zoned for is at least 20% Asian, which I feel is an adequate representation to meet our needs. We chose this location because the housing is not cookie cutter tract mcmansions.

I appreciate al the shopping tips:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
West side Danville is so obviously not ideal for many of your desires/needs, that I am surprised you chose it.
Did you look into Fremont at all?

There are many successful Southeast Asians/Indians living in Fremont. It's a real cohesive community within a very diverse city. Fremont is itself part of Silicon Vally, and you can delve deeper into the heart of Silicon Valley very quickly, and there is also public transit.

Here are a few videos (of many varied cultural videos) for you to peruse:

Indian market Bharat Bazar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F0MXXLJTUc

A fusion Sikh/American wedding shot at the Sikh Gurdwara in Fremont and ICC in Milpitas.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FXVNtxPNDM

Diwali in Fremont:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...diwali+fremont

Hindu Fremont:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=hindu+fremont

Old 07-09-2021, 12:39 PM

37,035 posts, read 41,957,933 times
There's something particularly weird about judging places based on Trump signs. And it's hard for me to take people who do this, and call people they don't know "racist" based on a comment, seriously. This thread should probably be put to bed now.

Old 07-10-2021, 02:43 PM

576 posts, read 491,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There's something particularly weird about judging places based on Trump signs. And it's hard for me to take people who do this, and call people they don't know "racist" based on a comment, seriously. This thread should probably be put to bed now.
Not weird at all. I generally lean Republican on a lot of things, but Trump was a sociopath. So seeing Trump signs to me let me know there was a morally bankrupt voter.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:17 PM

37,035 posts, read 41,957,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Not weird at all. I generally lean Republican on a lot of things, but Trump was a sociopath. So seeing Trump signs to me let me know there was a morally bankrupt voter.
I'm sure you think he's a sociopath based on.....yeah, I thought so.

There are fans of people you don't like all over the country, you can't run or hide from it and if you think you have you really don't know your neighbors. Not everyone likes signs.

Old 07-10-2021, 09:52 PM

7,193 posts, read 3,010,105 times
I lived and worked along on that 680 corridor from 1988 to 2000. I lived and worked between Fremont and Santa Clara 2000-2002. So, my impressions are a bit dated. I believe my DH and I looked at a house in Danville 1988 base price $180k (houses that are now $2.5M). So, that's why someone posted that their staff's houses are $1M (because they have lived in the area a long time). Unfortunately, we did not think we would be there long and did not buy (oops!)!!!

Anyways, Pleasanton was very much more family friendly back then (Parks and Recreation Department). Pleasanton has a lot of parks and a lot of events on Main Street and the Fairgrounds).

San Ramon was comfy and clean and I liked being able to bypass the freeway and take backroads to Pleasanton or Castro Valley/Hayward. San Ramon, at the time (before Chevron moved there from Concord), was more affordable than Pleasanton or Danville. I liked biking to Mt. Diablo from San Ramon. When we first moved there in 1988 we could get to San Francisco in 20 minutes (on a Saturday).

Dublin was a bedroom community of Pleasanton (and it was mainly an offramp back then).

Danville was always dripping with money. I loved the areas where the houses backed to the bike/walk/skate paths. Blackhawk was built out during the time I lived there. If you have millions you'll probably feel cozy there. Danville/Alamo people were commuting to San Francisco.

Walnut Creek was more singles and condos back then. The downtown area and outdoor mall were nice and there were a ton of restaurants (actually along 680 there were a ton of good restaurants).

Lived in Fremont and I could not tell you anything about it (that's when I worked in high tech and barely slept or showered). Mainly I slept there for a year and a half. before moving out of state (post 9/11).

Someone update me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California