Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,956 times

Advertisements

me and my boyfried are thinking of moving to redding CA we have a couple of questions? does this area have more of the country feel or is it ethinically diverse? we read some statistics online saying the area has only a 1% african american population. we have never been there so we are curious what it is like. everything else about the area looks great. we were also curious about the job market? we will both be college students so we don't have a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 01:16 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
It used to be real "hick" area, but it's gotten MUCH better.

But I would not call it ethically diverse by any standard

Old 04-29-2008, 03:48 PM

19 posts, read 41,368 times
Redding is a White area. I've been there and I'm not even sure if I saw a non-White person. If you want diversity try San Joaquin county.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:11 PM

57 posts, read 304,299 times
I don't agree, Redding is NOW newly Diverse. There are very many African Americans newly moving into Redding as we chat.
The housing is way better. Much more affordable.
If one is to consider just a 15-20 minute drive outside the City of Redding, there is even more affordable housing options.
Like the newly remodeled 'Clear Creek Estates' in French Gulch. There are at least 50 brand spanking new Manufactured homes in there, just waiting for people!
Great prices from what I read. There is also a mine up there on French Gulch Road.
It is called 'Bullion River Gold Corporation', it has about 300 - 700 employees. I would Google that first to make sure they are still hiring in high numbers as before.
The paychecks looked like an average of $17.00 an hour in the Redding Recordsearchlight article I am trying to remember.
That would be going Westbound on the 299 towards Wiskeytown Lake.
Beautiful, clean, fresh air and freedom. Not all cramped in like the City of Redding.
But, there are still many, many bargins in Redding.
The employment is the sad part of Redding. Not enough. Low pay jobs are around, yes, but not enough good jobs in the City, Yet, lets say.
I feel that there will be a new interest in companies wanting to move here and start up.
We had some companies start up and then they up and left.
It could change though.
Education is good for the children. There is way more outdoors for families here.
Young couples could find it way more easier to start out here than like the Bay area that is just too high priced and frustrating.
I grew up in South Central Los Angeles. The overcrowding got to me. I came up here and thought I found paradise.
It could be the same for you and others newly coming into Redding, Shasta County.
Remember, just short 15-20 minutes outside Redding has alot of housing to offer too.
The lower home prices will offset the small amount of gasoline to get into the main part of Redding.
Via Con Dios
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California