U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2020, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Lifelong Southern Californian (and happy!)
1,036 posts, read 644,213 times
Reputation: 3561

Advertisements

Now that people can work remotely from home, I've been noticing an interesting trend.

Where I live in the Antelope Valley, inland from Los Angeles by 55 miles, a home on my block in West Palmdale just sold for $375,000 three days after it was listed. It was bought by a couple with three children.

I happen to know the realtor who was involved in the sale of this home and she told me that since working remote has become a "thing" with a lot of large companies, people that were renting in the large urban areas of California are going further inland and snapping up homes, as opposed to remaining eternal renters.

The family who bought the home on my block are moving in from the Woodland Hills neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley where (if you look), average rents on a3-bedroom apartment can exceed $2,500 a month. The couple who bought the home here both work remotely, but the wife must be present one or two days a month in Burbank for meetings.

I suppose most people would rather own than keep renting? When you read the Arizona and Nevada forums on C-D, people in there are crowing about an "expected" influx of people from California's urban areas into both of those states (AZ & NV). That may happen, to a degree, especially with single people and the childless. However, I tend to think most of those who stay in California will be families and younger people with children.

It would be interesting to know, in the long run, where remote workers go (and why? which factors influence them, etc.) I suspect the majority of those in Nor Cal will fan out of the Bay Area and into Central Valley cities like Tracy, Lodi, Manteca and the Sacramento region. Others will go to Vallejo, Fairfield, Richmond, Pittsburgh, Brentwood, etc.

Here in So Cal, many will fan out of the higher-rent areas in LA, the inner valleys, the coastal burgs and the OC cities and head inland to the Inland Empire I suspect? Some will come out here to the Antelope Valley or Bakersfield, where home ownership without an albatross of a mortgage is doable.

For the most part, I predict that younger urban working families will want to stay in California close enough to the large metros of LA and the Bay, to get culture and amenities when needed. This seems to be the case, anyways.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2020, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,774 posts, read 27,992,262 times
Reputation: 14155
Fanning out to these areas has been a thing long before remote working existed as it does now.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2020, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Lifelong Southern Californian (and happy!)
1,036 posts, read 644,213 times
Reputation: 3561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Fanning out to these areas has been a thing long before remote working existed as it does now.

True, I just think it will accelerate now. What will be interesting, though, is the impact on commercial real estate in these former workplaces in urban areas.

I'm thinking a ton of them will downsize and not need the space they were using, which will cause the commercial market to lose some value.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2020, 05:47 PM
 
2,832 posts, read 1,968,029 times
Reputation: 10575
You are correct. Nobody wants to live in Gilead. Those who wind up there anesthetize themselves with large houses and big screen TV's. Even the desert areas of The Resistance are still more fun to live in and safer from getting shot in a drive-thru by a Trumpistanian angry about hearing you daring to speak Spanish or Mandarin to your family.

Plus, if you live in CA, you are used to going to the beach or mountains without having to rent an AirBnB. You can still make a day of it (or LA attractions) from Bakersfield if you time traffic right.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2020, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Lifelong Southern Californian (and happy!)
1,036 posts, read 644,213 times
Reputation: 3561
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
You are correct. Nobody wants to live in Gilead. Those who wind up there anesthetize themselves with large houses and big screen TV's. Even the desert areas of The Resistance are still more fun to live in and safer from getting shot in a drive-thru by a Trumpistanian angry about hearing you daring to speak Spanish or Mandarin to your family.

Plus, if you live in CA, you are used to going to the beach or mountains without having to rent an AirBnB. You can still make a day of it (or LA attractions) from Bakersfield if you time traffic right.




A retired teacher I worked with (mentioned her before in another forum) is moving to Prescott, AZ and she keeps badgering my wife and I about following her and her husband there. I have NO interest in doing so, whatsoever.

Just not my thing.


I'll gladly be here and pay CA income tax to be so close to everything we've got.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2020, 08:23 PM
 
4,298 posts, read 5,530,679 times
Reputation: 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post

It would be interesting to know, in the long run, where remote workers go (and why? which factors influence them, etc.) I suspect the majority of those in Nor Cal will fan out of the Bay Area and into Central Valley cities like Tracy, Lodi, Manteca and the Sacramento region. Others will go to Vallejo, Fairfield, Richmond, Pittsburgh, Brentwood, etc.
So, as a Bay Area resident, I'd say the communities you're highlighting aren't very desirable. They are for lower-middle class Bay Area residents who wanted somewhere cheaper but still within commute distance (albeit a terrible commute).

If remote work takes off and people can work from anywhere, I'd predict those that can't afford the Bay Area (or don't want to live here) will leave the area altogether and buy a large house in a top neighborhood in a cheaper part of the country. That seems much more desirable than a high crime, soulless exurb in NorCal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2020, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
9,460 posts, read 11,345,552 times
Reputation: 16354
We have a friend who works for google. Use to stay in a rented room in Palo Alto during the work week. Now he works from home in eastern CA. No plans to do otherwise when things get better and it appears google is on board with remote working.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 01:21 AM
 
Location: Lifelong Southern Californian (and happy!)
1,036 posts, read 644,213 times
Reputation: 3561
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
So, as a Bay Area resident, I'd say the communities you're highlighting aren't very desirable. They are for lower-middle class Bay Area residents who wanted somewhere cheaper but still within commute distance (albeit a terrible commute).

If remote work takes off and people can work from anywhere, I'd predict those that can't afford the Bay Area (or don't want to live here) will leave the area altogether and buy a large house in a top neighborhood in a cheaper part of the country. That seems much more desirable than a high crime, soulless exurb in NorCal.
One thing I did not factor in was the possibility of some movement of people from Nor Cal down to So Cal. That could easily happen, as housing stock is more ample here, and therefor more affordable.

You could live in a newer home in a large section of LA County for almost 2/3 the price of the Bay Area counties. Maybe less?

As for your personal prediction, that's what the guys in AZ and NV forums are saying. Yes, it may happen to an extent, but I best over half end up staying within California.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 03:46 PM
 
469 posts, read 529,772 times
Reputation: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
So, as a Bay Area resident, I'd say the communities you're highlighting aren't very desirable. They are for lower-middle class Bay Area residents who wanted somewhere cheaper but still within commute distance (albeit a terrible commute).

If remote work takes off and people can work from anywhere, I'd predict those that can't afford the Bay Area (or don't want to live here) will leave the area altogether and buy a large house in a top neighborhood in a cheaper part of the country. That seems much more desirable than a high crime, soulless exurb in NorCal.
tracy/mountain house area seems to be pretty desireable based on how expensive it is there now for a new single detached home as it is close to the bay area with no traffic and tracy itself has most amenities with dublin/livermore/pleasanton being close by, and also its not stockton with all the crime. And many will argue sacramento region has been highly desireable for the last couple of years showing many from the bay have flocked there to still live in big city without the big cost, and some highly desirable cities are in the sac region: elk grove, folsom, roseville, rocklin, el dorado hills, granite bay etc but those places arent cheap anymore though you get a nice house in nice neighborhood for same price you get ghetto in the east bay
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2020, 02:13 PM
 
4,298 posts, read 5,530,679 times
Reputation: 5950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
tracy/mountain house area seems to be pretty desireable based on how expensive it is there now for a new single detached home as it is close to the bay area with no traffic and tracy itself has most amenities with dublin/livermore/pleasanton being close by, and also its not stockton with all the crime. And many will argue sacramento region has been highly desireable for the last couple of years showing many from the bay have flocked there to still live in big city without the big cost, and some highly desirable cities are in the sac region: elk grove, folsom, roseville, rocklin, el dorado hills, granite bay etc but those places arent cheap anymore though you get a nice house in nice neighborhood for same price you get ghetto in the east bay
Have you ever seen the traffic on 580 (pre-COVID) in commuting from Tracy/Mountain House over the Altamont Pass and through the Tri-Valley? There's a reason why its cheaper. And then you have the issue of what to do on weekends. There is no "there" there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:39 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top