Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 04:14 PM

307 posts, read 242,245 times

Advertisements

How in the hell is there no Central Valley forum but yet we have an empty Inland Empire and Monterey forum? And San Jose should be apart of the SF/Oakland board tbh. Go ahead and frown upon/look down on the area but the CV still has millions of people there and counting plus its the rare place left in California where you can buy a home at a decent price. Population wise Fresno- 530,000 -- Bakersfield 390,000 -- Stockton 312,000 .. time to make this happen. I'll definitely contribute

Last edited by Pro1000; 07-19-2020 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 04:34 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
I understand your desire, but City-Data has decided that it is indeed just that, about data for cities, or sometimes more broadly, metro-regions or portions of metro regions when a metro is really huge (LA, NYC, SF, DC, etc).

For example, first there was the Los Angeles forum and people posted in there about LA and all of the surrounding suburbs. After awhile, they broke off the Orange County forum, the Inland Empire forum, and finally the Ventura County forum and so the entirety of the LA metro region has been separated from the LA forum.

They don't want to do regional forums that extend beyond a single city-metro.

Therefore, what you might get someday is a Fresno forum and an entirely separate Bakersfield forum, but only if the postings justify it. My guess is that the threshold for an additional subforum in California might be somewhere in the 600 - 800 threads, but the exact metrics are a closely guarded trade secret, kind of like the Colonel's 17 secret herbs and spices.

Fresno, and Bakersfield even less so, haven't generated the posting traffic. Surprisingly, San Luis Obispo has generated more posts than either of them.

And I admit, I've always been flummoxed by the rationale for the Monterey froum

Old 07-19-2020, 04:45 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
I could say the same thing about the North state, it is a large area, & has no representation in the forums. Sacramento is supposed to cover us, but that is a joke.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:35 PM

307 posts, read 242,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I understand your desire, but City-Data has decided that it is indeed just that, about data for cities, or sometimes more broadly, metro-regions or portions of metro regions when a metro is really huge (LA, NYC, SF, DC, etc).

For example, first there was the Los Angeles forum and people posted in there about LA and all of the surrounding suburbs. After awhile, they broke off the Orange County forum, the Inland Empire forum, and finally the Ventura County forum and so the entirety of the LA metro region has been separated from the LA forum.

They don't want to do regional forums that extend beyond a single city-metro.

Therefore, what you might get someday is a Fresno forum and an entirely separate Bakersfield forum, but only if the postings justify it. My guess is that the threshold for an additional subforum in California might be somewhere in the 600 - 800 threads, but the exact metrics are a closely guarded trade secret, kind of like the Colonel's 17 secret herbs and spices.

Fresno, and Bakersfield even less so, haven't generated the posting traffic. Surprisingly, San Luis Obispo has generated more posts than either of them.

And I admit, I've always been flummoxed by the rationale for the Monterey froum
Monterey, Inland Empire, San Jose forums are cricket status. Of course a separate Fresno or Bakersfield forum won't do the numbers but an entire North to South Central Valley forum should do well and should be on this forum no doubt about it. No its not a separate city but seriously what would be wrong with a regional section on here actually? Fresno is the 34th largest city in the US. Bakersfield is the 52nd. Stockton is #62. Three top 100 cities in the US and no representation on the California board on City Data? "Build it and they will come". This forum treats the Central Valley just like how the rest of California does.. no respect whatsoever. Just dismissal and insults. Sorry people but the place does actually exist.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:56 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,054,214 times
Bakersfield is bigger than Tusla, Oklahoma. Fresno is bigger than Wichita, KS.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:29 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
But Tulsa has 1900 threads, and Wichita has 600 threads. I searched for threads with Fresno in the title and barely broke 250. The other cities were lower than that.

The powers that be, who make these decisions, want to see more traffic than that before they create a subforum. It's about traffic, not the underlying population of the area.

However, I agree with those above who say that if these subforums were created there would be more traffic about these cities, and maybe, just maybe, enough to justify the creation of the subforum.

Old 07-20-2020, 03:58 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
But Tulsa has 1900 threads, and Wichita has 600 threads. I searched for threads with Fresno in the title and barely broke 250. The other cities were lower than that.

The powers that be, who make these decisions, want to see more traffic than that before they create a subforum. It's about traffic, not the underlying population of the area.

However, I agree with those above who say that if these subforums were created there would be more traffic about these cities, and maybe, just maybe, enough to justify the creation of the subforum.

Bakersfield in title = 221 threads

Stockton in title = 164 threads

Visalia in title = 38 threads

Fresno in title = 252 threads

----------------------------------
Over 600 threads with those 4 cities in thread title.

OP is correct. Alone those cities don't justify creating a separate sub but a regional sub for the Central Valley seems to be appropriate.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:47 PM

478 posts, read 691,111 times
central valley needs its own sub. so obvious it does

Old 07-21-2020, 04:05 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,592 times
YES! We, the bastard child of coastal California demand our own subforum. Heck, Visalia has 100,000 more people than Monterey, yet Monterey gets a sub? How does that figure?

Old 07-22-2020, 12:38 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,739,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I could say the same thing about the North state, it is a large area, & has no representation in the forums. Sacramento is supposed to cover us, but that is a joke.
I fully agree with Evening Sun. The North-State could be named the same or maybe Redding forum. I can search for Chico Craigslist, but no such forum on City Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California