Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:39 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times

Advertisements

Bigcats,
I would imagine you've been to Bishop once or twice by now, in addition to L.A. If not, you might find much of what you need there, though it's not much by comparison to the big city. The one thing you would have a hard time finding in Bishop is furniture, which may be what you went to L.A. for. Palmdale and Lancaster offer most everything you would find in L.A., and are about an hour closer to Lone Pine. Same goes for the Victorville/Hesperia/Apple Valley area. I'm not sure where you went that you were referring to as L.A., but I thought you should at least know about those places if you didn't already. Ridgecrest also has pretty much everything you would normally need, except unusual items.

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the outdoors up there. You should have no trouble finding places to explore. One place that people really like to visit this time of year is Rock Creek, between Bishop and Mammoth. The deciduous trees there are well known for their fall color, so you might want to get up that way soon. I have only heard about it until now, but I plan to see it for myself as soon as I am able to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 07:24 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,056 times
Yes, I go to Bishop almost every weekend (except if it's a "Ridgecrest" weekend). I try to hit the farmer's market there. That's about the only time during the week I put any mileage on my car, it's great.

The LA trip was for an unusual item (my new floor!) so not something I'll do a whole lot. Actually, my trips to Bishop and Ridgecrest will slow down too once I get more situated here and less needing of new house things.

I'll look into Rock Creek, I'd love to see some fall color. It's been years. I grew up in fall color paradise but it's nearly non--existant in the Bay Area

Old 10-03-2008, 06:43 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
The next time you go to Bishop, if you have a little extra time, go a little north of there and check out Convict Lake. This place is is SO beautiful!! Good luck on your new home.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:30 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
The next time you go to Bishop, if you have a little extra time, go a little north of there and check out Convict Lake. This place is is SO beautiful!! Good luck on your new home.
OMG, I LOVE Convict Lake. I think it is the prettiest place I've seen in my entire life! Especially when there is a tiny bit of snow at the top of the mtns, which reflect off the lake. I love it there...

I was interested in this thread because my parents have a little house that they rent out in Bishop. They've had the same guy living there for like 20 years. I think its a different lifestyle, but obviously many people love it up there.

Bigcats: so happy that you found a house in Lone Pine that you love so much. We've been thru that town many times. Its very quaint and I can see how you'd like it.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:40 PM

514 posts, read 764,967 times
Congrats!! Our son has lived and worked in Bishop for several years. He wouldn't live anywhere else. He and his brother hike Whitney every year. I made it up to the switchbacks once.

My wife and I love the little street that has the school and all the churches. I think it's named Locust but could be wrong. I would like to retire somewhere in the area but my wife doesn't like heat, cold or wind...which is why we live in San Diego.

If you've never been to Bodie, please do so ASAP. Also, see the old courthouse in Bridgeport, etc., etc., etc.!!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:57 PM

Saw Convict Lake a couple weekends ago - it was gorgeous (very windy though), and I drove back through Rock Creek and saw a lot of yellow. Yep, the street with the school and churches is Locust.

Lots of heat here, and I had a taste of winter this past weekend - brrr! The wind broke the roof off an enclosure I'd made outside, so now that needs re-doing. And I got intimate with my swamp cooler (never saw one in my life before 3 months ago) as I fooled around with winterizing it. Driving down 395 when all that wind started and I saw several sad little desert scrub bushes just rolling like wagon wheels right down the highway.

Bodie is on my list, as is Death Valley. I was waiting for cooler weather but I might have missed the boat for this year on Bodie? I'll have to investigate that. I'll be busy for quite some time around here.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:21 PM

45 posts, read 127,990 times
I may be accepting a position in Lone Pine as well. I was wondering if anyone knows of any apartments in the area. I found one called Mt. Whitney apartments online but couldn't find any more info.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:10 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Up until now I've been looking for small towns in Northern California for relocation (from Oakland, originally from Maine). I love Paradise, Mt. Shasta and surrounding towns, Weaverville, foothill towns like Angel's Camp. I like mountains and nice scenery with lots of parks. A little snow is nice. A place where I would be able to buy a house with an acre in the next few years on a teacher's salary is a must. Animals (small livestock and a bevy of cats) have to be welcomed. Ideally an already established animal rescue community. I don't need nightlife or entertainment - I don't use it living in the city and won't miss it. I see a movie in a theater once or twice a year, for instance.

But it looks like things might be lining up for a job in the Lone Pine area, making me have to rearrange my whole thought process about this. For one, not living in Northern California - I've never considered anything else. More remote (not necessarily a bad thing to me, just something to get used to). A farther ride from where I am now, precluding making a lot of visits back to Oakland.

So I've read a few things on this forum about Bishop and Lone Pine, but it was kind of vague. I've looked at the stats too, but what I'm really looking for is a "feeling" about the place. Can anyone describe to me what it's like to live in one of these eastern sierra 395 towns - how often do you go shopping, what do you do during the day, etc. What does it look like? Can it be compared to any of the towns I mentioned previously?

I'm planning on driving out to some weekend this May ... I do have a friend who lives out that way who can hopefully show me some of the ropes. But I'd love to have an idea before I spend all that gas Will I like it?
I didn't read all the posts, so if someone else mentioned it, forgive me. But ... did you know the film "Tremors" starring Kevin Bacon was filmed in Lone Pine? I have relatives there who were extras in the film.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:30 PM

Yep, there's Tremors paraphenalia all over the film museum in town.

Lots of stuff filmed here. Even GI Joe very recently.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,409 times
Looking for place to rent between Ridgecrest and Bishop where I can have my horse. Don't care what the house looks like or if its out in the middle of the desert. Actually I'd prefer to be in a remote area. On disability due to car accident in 12/08, have lost job and now losing my house in Tehachapi after 13 years. Can pay around $800.00 month. Any suggestions?, ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California