U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2020, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
38,570 posts, read 18,787,548 times
Reputation: 28627

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
But you still have to live in Phoenix.
Therein lies the problem
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2020, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
38,570 posts, read 18,787,548 times
Reputation: 28627
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDAYADA View Post
??
I lived in California until 1999 at which time I moved to Nevada, in 2014 I moved back to Northern California. Overall, expenses are pretty close to the same. If you have a lot of income subject to income tax you would do better in Nevada, other than that there weren't any big differences.

Live in a place you enjoy and don't obsess over which state has the cheapest vehicle registration or sales tax, life is too short!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2020, 09:29 AM
 
36 posts, read 24,633 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I lived in California until 1999 at which time I moved to Nevada, in 2014 I moved back to Northern California. Overall, expenses are pretty close to the same. If you have a lot of income subject to income tax you would do better in Nevada, other than that there weren't any big differences.

Live in a place you enjoy and don't obsess over which state has the cheapest vehicle registration or sales tax, life is too short!
Thanks 2sleepy, probably summed it up in your last sentence
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2020, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Northern California
75,018 posts, read 6,158,721 times
Reputation: 25015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
To all the ppl complaining about gas prices:
Cheap electric cars are coming down the pipeline in the very near future(finally). Talking cars in the 15-25k price range! They'll be perfect for people with shorter commutes or as secondary cars(grocery getters).
The days of huffing and puffing over gas prices will soon be coming to an end
I wouldn't want an electric car in CA. The power is not dependable. We had rolling blackouts over the weekend, & in the fall, I am expecting the safety shut offs. of course PGE say they will be less, but they are a company which has felony convictions, so I do not believe them
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2020, 01:19 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA
6,941 posts, read 4,743,857 times
Reputation: 12669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Most cities in California, especially Los Angeles, Oakland, San Francisco and San Diego, were settled and developed earlier in history than most of the Sun Belt. Additionally, these cities experience notably milder summer weather than most of the Sun Belt. As a result, central air conditioning and built-in air-conditioning units are non-standard in most homes and apartment buildings in the major urban areas of coastal California.

Given the extremely high population density of coastal California, most Californians reside in apartment or condominium units. Because of the advanced age of most structures in coastal California, dishwashers and laundry machines are non-standard in most apartment and condominium units. In addition to dishwashers and laundry machines, apartment- and condominium-dwellers in coastal California do not have any access to water hoses, either. Therefore, most Californians are unable to maintain large flower or vegetable gardens and wash their clothes, dishes and vehicles at home.

Finally, the bright, sunny weather that characterizes much of California means that natural light in homes is more abundant than in other states that experience significant cloud cover throughout much of the year, most notably Appalachia, the Pacific Northwest and the Upper Midwest. So, this reduces the amount of time you keep on your interior lights each day.

All of the listed factors keep the electricity and water bills of coastal California households relatively low, despite the fact utility companies in California charge higher-than-average energy consumption rates by national standards.
Do you really live in California? Almost none of this is true.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2020, 04:36 PM
 
528 posts, read 357,963 times
Reputation: 778
CA property taxes are actually low

around 1.2% of the selling price, and that's ignoring the great benefits of Prop 13

But gas is high, car registration, and everyday things are more expensive because of the high minimum wages in big cities

Gas hovers in the high $3s low $4s per gallon. My daughter's car registration for a $14,000 car was $279.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2020, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Denver, San Diego
109 posts, read 39,906 times
Reputation: 175
No one has addressed the out of control homeless situation.
Unless your living in neighborhoods with 1mil dollar homes you're going to share your area with homeless. Behind and next to the buildings in your town, under every overpass, in your parks, begging on every street corner. Want to live downtown around tent cities? They have completely destroyed the area in and around our beautiful brand new library. It actually smells like urine and homeless inside the library because they go in there and use the computers/facilities.
Just look up the horrendous hepatitis outbreak we had downtown last year, the city was spraying the entire area down with bleach. Putting up porta potties all over.
Meanwhile the politicians are trying to make contractors build 'affordable housing' (projects) for people who can't afford to live here and never will...
And this is not just a San Diego problem...LA and San Fran are even worse...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2020, 07:51 PM
 
2,384 posts, read 1,160,400 times
Reputation: 1868
I always been wanting to ask this question, aside from the obvious taxes, fees, housing, gasoline, utilities, how much does things like Spas, massages, hair salons, nail salons, gardners, day laborers, groceries, Internet access, Cable TV etc cost compared to surrounding states and other parts of the US. Apparently this can vary within a state as well. For some reason it appears North San Diego County while housing and gasoline is cheaper than much of coastal urban California it appears its difficult to avoid higher rates for services. I guess lack of competition and distance from the Mexican border may play a role as many day labors needs to rent a room or apartment as commuting the border is too much for going that far north. I be curious whether its cheaper in areas close to the border though. But it appears for hair, massage, nails, Greatre LA, OC and Bay Area have better chance of finding better deals than North San Diego county.* Also is it more expensive in those "cheap" middle America states to hire day laboror or contractor to fix something or mow the lawn since we don't have so many people looking for a quick job from Latin America as oppose to the southern states closer to the border?
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You can add utility costs also.* Electricity rates are double what they are in many states.* Also, don't forget annual car registration fees are also among the highest in the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDAYADA View Post
I see that California is amongst the highest prices for electricity as you say but it seems that generally, consumption per household ranks right at the lower end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's most likely because a large portion of the population lives along the coast where temps aren't high enough to warrant using the AC on many days.* People also tend to use less electricity because of the very high cost.* If you live in the inland parts, deserts, your monthly electricity bill can be quite huge even when you try to conserve.
Interesting story one of my relatives had homes in San Francisco/Daly City and Elk Grove. The Elk Grove being a 2400 sq ft 4 bedroom one office/bedroom and high ceilings and San Francisco/Daly City home is a tiny 3 bedroom 1300 mostly single story with a garage underneath. Yet the highest bill for* the Elk Grove home even in the peak of Sacramento valley summer/winter is rarely higher than $120 with a/c on 75 for all of the warmer months, electric dryer, and four people living in it. However The tiny little house in SF/Daly city with no a/c and only three occupants the lowest rate in the year is rarely lower than $120 and goes as high as $160. Though the difference is SF/Daly City gets their power from utility giant PG&E.
A/C penetration is a pretty unique subject in CA as well. Even within similar microclimates in some areas penetration is higher than others. For the Bay Area I.e in much of inland Contra Costa County pretty much everything built post 1973 had A/C however same cannot be said about neighboring Alameda county and Santa Clara Counties despite being pretty much just as hot, especially in places like east Fremont, Pleasanton, South San Jose, Almaden Valley, Morgan Hill, and Gilroy. It appears much of the housing stock did not include A/C until 1991 or so even then many builders charged thousands of dollars more for the actual unit, thus its still possible to find a newer looking home who's first buyer did not pay for the A/C and regretted it due to lack of cross ventilation in modern designed for a/c homes. I later learned from an A/C installer that its because of anti A/C ordinances in other parts of the county that costs builders about $1000 more to install an A/C unit compared to in Contra Costa County thus many builders find it too costly to include in the base price for the house. And that Heat pumps are not popular in CA maybe for this reason. A lot of people do live in very small housing units near the coast.*But while people brag about surfing and snowboarding in a day. In reality only a very small percentage of the population engage in either activity at all.*
Though one of the big reasons usage is not higher in California than some places around the country aside from smaller dwellings and comparably less extreme climates in urban areas, is the widespread adoption of natural gas for heating/water heating as well as stoves, ovens, and clothes driers. Than alone can makeup the hundreds of kwh difference a month. I been to other places and noticed that many houses in other parts of the country especially with similar climates with not much of a winter use electricity for everything including heating or heat pump and water heating, pool heating as well. Though CA seems to all of a sudden want to ban natural gas for some reason so electricity*demand would rise.


I believe relatively Low property taxes and proposition 13 probably helped played a good role in driving Housing costs so high as it temps many investors including ones from overseas buy homes/land. They seem to shun the states with higher taxes and sans prop 13. People in California also seem to commute farther to be able to find housing they could afford driving prices high far from the job center.


Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I wouldn't want an electric car in CA. The power is not dependable. We had rolling blackouts over the weekend, & in the fall, I am expecting the safety shut offs. of course PGE say they will be less, but they are a company which has felony convictions, so I do not believe them
You hit that point right, the issue is not only power expense its also the frightening lack of dependability and accountability of these power companies, remember all those public safety shutdowns last year in many areas? They even threatened to shut off half of San Jose for weeks due to likelihood of their poorly maintained wires catching fire on a slightly windy day if the winds are Santa Ana. Apparently thats there solution to their incompetance over the years particularly since the 1990s and their resulting bankruptcy that forces rate payers to contend with punitive rates that are among the highest in the country now possibly higher than Hawaii in PGE and SDG&E terrorities and rolling blackouts. In addition The SONGs fiasco made the situation much worse too so much money lost, such great rate hikes passed to consumers to decommission the plant and secure enough power from out of area to avoid blackouts. I heard SDG&E's lease is ending next year I really hope the city and county of San Diego use the opportunity disband this bandit company and learn from Sacramento county which all use SMUD which is much cheaper than any of the big three.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 08-16-2020 at 08:14 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2020, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Formerly Pleasanton Ca, now in Marietta Ga
8,205 posts, read 5,785,643 times
Reputation: 11813
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
But you still have to live in Phoenix.
Ahhh, the old standby “But you have to live (anywhere else but California)” when you don’t have a legitimate argument and try to put down another local to try to deflect.
Weak sauce.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2020, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Northern California
75,018 posts, read 6,158,721 times
Reputation: 25015
If you buy a car from the dealer, they will include & add the registration fees to the cost. So you won't have to pay registration for another year. But you can bicker over the price of a new or used car. Pm if you need any info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top