Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 01:13 AM

18 posts, read 20,650 times

Advertisements

Thank you. Are you familiar with Montecito or Vintage Visalia apartment complexes? I believe Montecito is in Northwest of the town. I am planning to visit the city on Thursday. I heard that Montecito has roaches and Vintage has spiders!! But both are gated and hopefully relatively safe.
Is this common to have spider or cockroaches in apartments in Visalia?
How safe is Visalia? (excluding the eoval park area!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
I live in Tulare and someone asked about it a couple of years ago. And I wrote a detailed response. For brevity, I won't re-write it, since most of it is still fairly accurate.

Tulare has been socially and economically stagnant since, forever, it seems. What little growth, cleanups, etc there have been, it's been mostly tepid and piecemeal. It's okay for families I suppose. But if you're single, you will be bored to tears. Tulare is very clearly divided by the railroad tracks. Both literally and figuratively. West of them, you definitely don't want to go, much less live.

Visalia is much larger and varied. Generally speaking, the best side of it is southwest. Roughly bordered by 198 to the north, Mooney Blvd to the east, and Cameron/Visalia Parkway to the south, give or take. It thins out to farmland west of there, so 99 will probably be the western border. Most of southeast along Ben Maddox south of 198 is pretty nice as well, although there's a few rough spots hidden away.

Everywhere else is hit or miss. I would generally avoid anything north of 198. The Oval Park area in particular, is locally well known as the best place to watch heroin use. If you get my drift.

As with everything else, all is based on what I've seen and experienced. But as they say, your mileage may vary.

Hit me up if you have any other questions.

Thank you. Are you familiar with Montecito or Vintage Visalia apartment complexes? I believe Montecito is in Northwest of the town. I am planning to visit the city on Thursday. I heard that Montecito has roaches and Vintage has spiders!! But both are gated and hopefully relatively safe.
Is this common to have spider or cockroaches in apartments in Visalia?
How safe is Visalia? (excluding the eoval park area!)

Old 08-19-2020, 01:17 AM

How is Porterville compare to Visalia? I may have to work once a week in that city.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:48 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,308,775 times
I am not really familiar with any of the apartments anywhere in the area, since I bought a house coming in. I might be able to tell you about the areas they are in, but nothing of the complexes or units themselves.

Between Porterville and Visalia as for living, the latter would win hands down in pretty much every metric. Porterville is kind of isolated and moribund. Not terrible, but (to me anyway) always had a sort of depressing vibe to it. It has all the basic amenities you would need from groceries to gas to Target/WalMart, but not much else. It does have an okay old school downtown, but last time I went through there, a lot of the shops were empty.

Getting back to those two apartment complexes you mentioned, both appear to be in the northwest part of the city. Those immediate neighborhoods seem to be okay, but you will have to go through some rough areas...in some cases...VERY rough... to get in and out of them from pretty much all directions, which is a big part of the reason I don't advise anyone living in Visalia north of 198.

Driving to Porterville from there, figure about 45 minutes each way. getting to 198 from NW Visalia is a real pain and you will endure plenty of traffic. Then take 198 east to the 65 cutoff. Take that down through Exeter (a nice little town BTW), then down another few miles of country road till you get to 137. Go east to Lindsay, the road curves south and from there is a straight shot to Porterville. It's a scenic little drive but definitely not something I would want to do daily. Once a week though, should be doable.

I would expand your search to include areas south of and closer to 198 for easier access. Plus, that's generally a better area anyway.

Old 08-19-2020, 11:51 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,364,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB19 View Post
How is Porterville compare to Visalia? I may have to work once a week in that city.

I live in Porterville. I was born and raised here. It's pretty much like Des posted. It can't even come close to Visalia for quality of life or amenities, but it's safe. You won't have any trouble...there's no place you have to avoid or anything like that. The drive from Porterville to the courthouse in Visalia is 30 min. Everytime I got called for jury duty, it was always for the superior court over in Visalia.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:41 AM

Quote:
I am not really familiar with any of the apartments anywhere in the area, since I bought a house coming in. I might be able to tell you about the areas they are in, but nothing of the complexes or units themselves.

Between Porterville and Visalia as for living, the latter would win hands down in pretty much every metric. Porterville is kind of isolated and moribund. Not terrible, but (to me anyway) always had a sort of depressing vibe to it. It has all the basic amenities you would need from groceries to gas to Target/WalMart, but not much else. It does have an okay old school downtown, but last time I went through there, a lot of the shops were empty.

Getting back to those two apartment complexes you mentioned, both appear to be in the northwest part of the city. Those immediate neighborhoods seem to be okay, but you will have to go through some rough areas...in some cases...VERY rough... to get in and out of them from pretty much all directions, which is a big part of the reason I don't advise anyone living in Visalia north of 198.

Driving to Porterville from there, figure about 45 minutes each way. getting to 198 from NW Visalia is a real pain and you will endure plenty of traffic. Then take 198 east to the 65 cutoff. Take that down through Exeter (a nice little town BTW), then down another few miles of country road till you get to 137. Go east to Lindsay, the road curves south and from there is a straight shot to Porterville. It's a scenic little drive but definitely not something I would want to do daily. Once a week though, should be doable.

I would expand your search to include areas south of and closer to 198 for easier access. Plus, that's generally a better area anyway.

Thank you! I will drive there tomorrow morning and will look for some apartments south and close to 198!
I am assuming southwest area is better than southeast! Is that right?

Old 08-20-2020, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
I live in Porterville. I was born and raised here. It's pretty much like Des posted. It can't even come close to Visalia for quality of life or amenities, but it's safe. You won't have any trouble...there's no place you have to avoid or anything like that. The drive from Porterville to the courthouse in Visalia is 30 min. Everytime I got called for jury duty, it was always for the superior court over in Visalia.

Thank you!! I am planning to visit Visalia and Porterville tomorrow!

Old 08-20-2020, 08:29 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,308,775 times
Both SW and SW Visalia are, for the most part very nice. SE has a few more rough parts, but if you're just exploring, you'll know them when you see them.

BTW. Grab a burger and taco at BT's on Mooney Blvd. Great lunch. I don't recall the nearest cross street, but it's about a mile or two south of 198 and directly across the street from Red Lobster.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Both SW and SW Visalia are, for the most part very nice. SE has a few more rough parts, but if you're just exploring, you'll know them when you see them.

BTW. Grab a burger and taco at BT's on Mooney Blvd. Great lunch. I don't recall the nearest cross street, but it's about a mile or two south of 198 and directly across the street from Red Lobster.

Will do! :-)
Thanks!

Old 08-21-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info about Visalia and neighborhood. I had a chance to visit some areas and see some apartment complexes on
6714 W Oriole Ave and 1137 N Woodland St. Unfortunately, I was not able to see inside since there was none available at that moment. Are the locations safe areas?

Both told me that they are in pretty safe area and I should just avoid the downtown area, however, they also said there are plenty of good restaurants in downtown. So, I couldn't get a clear idea where exactly to avoid!!

Do you also know a realtor so I can contact with for more info? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California