Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2020, 04:35 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why not just drive out to California and spend a few days and you will be able to see for yourself? I think hatred for Newsom just goes along with the territory, his approval rating is actually pretty darned good - 64% in late September. If all you have to judge Newsom with are the posts here by disgruntled (mostly right wing) people you'd think he's the antichrist.

I agree, you need to see for yourself. I have seen a few Recall Newsom signs, but I have not heard anyone talk about it. I think, no matter who is Governor or President, someone is going to be unhappy. They have been collecting signatures for a recall for months now, & I think they still are short of the amount needed to qualify it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 05:47 PM

405 posts, read 448,690 times
Three family members moved back to CA in the past year. I will be joining them one of these days, too. Why?

* gorgeous weather
* ocean, mountains, rivers, forests, desserts and at least one great city (I don't knock LA, but it's no city.)
* so diverse! Land at LAX and SFO and you see people of every color speaking half a dozen languages. Some of us find that exciting
* dynamic economy, progressive ideas, forward thinking population. Some of us respect that.

If you have the means, you can live beautifully in the Golden State. You can limit your threat of fire, mudslides, or death by earthquake. As the climate heads toward the cataclysmic changes we all know are coming, no place is really "safe." At least CA - with its enormous economy and resources, its talented workforce and visionary leaders (OK, some of them) - CA will likely be better prepared than those states governed by obese old white guys with their heads in the sand, or up someone's arse.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:57 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Well it would certainly hurt the state if net tax payers leave and are replaced by net consumers of state funds. That would seem to generate budget shortfalls that then need to be made up for via taxation and/or borrowing.

I don't know if that is the case but it certainly would be a very real price to pay for the state and its remaining residents.
It isn’t. Lower income make up the vast percentage who leave. And California has a tiered income tax structure where the low and moderate income folks pay modestly.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:04 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
If you won’t live elsewhere why does your location say Ca and Brazil? Disgruntled people haven’t had a say in Ca politics since Reagan and Ca is paying a dear price for it. What makes you think the OP is white? Your blatant racism???
Disgruntled people should move, you did right?

Old 10-13-2020, 09:39 AM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
It isn’t. Lower income make up the vast percentage who leave. And California has a tiered income tax structure where the low and moderate income folks pay modestly.

Well what's lower income? According to the often cited "calmatters.org" you need to have an income of $100,000 to pay for a median price house in California. I would imagine that this figure would be significantly higher in L.A. and the Bay Area. So is everyone making less than say $140-150k there 'lower income' and therefore undesirable surplus?

That seems like a rather pungent Gilded Age mentality and not especially in line with the values of this country.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Well what's lower income? According to the often cited "calmatters.org" you need to have an income of $100,000 to pay for a median price house in California. I would imagine that this figure would be significantly higher in L.A. and the Bay Area. So is everyone making less than say $140-150k there 'lower income' and therefore undesirable surplus?

That seems like a rather pungent Gilded Age mentality and not especially in line with the values of this country.
Everything is relative, of course, Veritas. And I don’t set any measure points on the scales.

But for fun reference, check out Ashgabat, Turkmenistan ... many lists include this place as one of the world’s top 10, some say as high as 2nd, most expensive places to live in the world, along with such perennials such as Zurich, London, Victoria B.C., New York, blah blah blah ... But Ashgabat, Turkmenistan? Doesn’t even have bearable weather. Wtf?

You tell me what’s fair. Anywhere. Values of this country? What? That everyone should be able to live in coastal Southern California? Phbbbbt ...

Old 10-13-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Everything is relative, of course, Veritas. And I don’t set any measure points on the scales.

But for fun reference, check out Ashgabat, Turkmenistan ... many lists include this place as one of the world’s top 10, some say as high as 2nd, most expensive places to live in the world, along with such perennials such as Zurich, London, Victoria B.C., New York, blah blah blah ... But Ashgabat, Turkmenistan? Doesn’t even have bearable weather. Wtf?

You tell me what’s fair. Anywhere. Values of this country? What? That everyone should be able to live in coastal Southern California? Phbbbbt ...

Not everyone can live in the best spots, sure, but we're talking about the best, the good and the okay spots here in two of the largest metropolitan areas in the country. It would be dishonest to say we're talking about a mansion in Pacific Palisades here. What does 750k buy you in L.A.? A small house in El Segundo next to one of the world's busiest airports? Hardly what we call traditionally exclusive terrain. Those were middle-class, blue-collar residential areas for aerospace workers until not too long ago. How can average housing be beyond the reach of above average earners?

I think it's fairly obvious that housing cost in those areas is totally decoupled from actual incomes due to investor buying (much of it not based in the U.S.) and the wealth amassed by those who got on the property ladder 30-40 years ago. In other words, boomers who could buy homes in the 70s and 80s at still 'regular' prices back then and whose equity has ballooned since then due to escalating real estate prices (while still paying those fixed property taxes from 40 years ago).

So that basically leaves the younger generation in a pickle as they're just trying to build equity. If they're lucky they might get to inherit dad's house, but if dad lives to be in his 80s/90s they'll be waiting for a while. So you're driving out the middle-income 25-40 year old emerging young families. Is that healthy for a state? Those are some of the people who will rise to become leaders over the next 10-20 years of their lives and in some ways the backbone of a healthy society one may say.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Not everyone can live in the best spots, sure, but we're talking about the best, the good and the okay spots here in two of the largest metropolitan areas in the country. It would be dishonest to say we're talking about a mansion in Pacific Palisades here. What does 750k buy you in L.A.? A small house in El Segundo next to one of the world's busiest airports? Hardly what we call traditionally exclusive terrain. Those were middle-class, blue-collar residential areas for aerospace workers until not too long ago. How can average housing be beyond the reach of above average earners?

I think it's fairly obvious that housing cost in those areas is totally decoupled from actual incomes due to investor buying (much of it not based in the U.S.) and the wealth amassed by those who got on the property ladder 30-40 years ago. In other words, boomers who could buy homes in the 70s and 80s at still 'regular' prices back then and whose equity has ballooned since then due to escalating real estate prices (while still paying those fixed property taxes from 40 years ago).

So that basically leaves the younger generation in a pickle as they're just trying to build equity. If they're lucky they might get to inherit dad's house, but if dad lives to be in his 80s/90s they'll be waiting for a while. So you're driving out the middle-income 25-40 year old emerging young families. Is that healthy for a state? Those are some of the people who will rise to become leaders over the next 10-20 years of their lives and in some ways the backbone of a healthy society one may say.
“Not healthy” you say? 4th ranked world economy disagrees with you:

Most Germans don’t buy their homes, they rent. Here’s why
It’s just a fact. Many Germans can’t be bothered to buy a house.

The country’s homeownership rate ranks among the lowest in the developed world, and nearly dead last in Europe, though the Swiss rent even more.

https://qz.com/167887/germany-has-on...nership-rates/

All said, you may think I am arguing in favor of high housing costs / COL in general. I’m not. Just observing the range of relativism. Personally, I’ve got no use for the economics of technocracy. Technocracy and overpopulation are the roots of all evils.

Old 10-13-2020, 01:40 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
In other words, boomers who could buy homes in the 70s and 80s at still 'regular' prices back then and whose equity has ballooned since then due to escalating real estate prices (while still paying those fixed property taxes from 40 years ago)
Oh, I wish this were so....

unless you call "fixed" going from $961 per year to $16,064 per year..

same house too...

Old 10-13-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Oh, I wish this were so....

unless you call "fixed" going from $961 per year to $16,064 per year..

same house too...
You're right. They're not 'fixed' fixed, but the increases are capped well below market rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California