Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2020, 04:25 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Stomp on my dreams, why don't you?
Sorry . But you know: facts is facts ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 05:57 PM

491 posts, read 324,244 times
Attractive Latinas is the #1 reason, I guess.

Old 09-08-2020, 06:02 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Honestly, I can see why someone who's an ultra right wing conservative would dislike California. These people are not a fan of big government or crowded spaces. They tend to gravitate towards places with lots of land, where they can cling to god and guns, without much opposition. There are open spaces in rural CA, but many people there are going to still complain because their votes are overruled by the coastal cities.

I think much of this is further propagated by Fox News, Trump, etc. that cherry pick bad elements of CA, such as our current wildfire storms, the homeless encampments in the major cities or the state welfare situation. Honestly, a lot of these people would wish CA just falls into the Pacific Ocean (as I've heard by others before) and it frustrates them to no end that CA has had such a successful economic story and provides such influence in the Tech and Entertainment industries. This doesn't fit their model of a failed state. So, it pumps up their egos to come onto this board (and other sources) with cherry picked information to try to raise a point.
I just don't get it - if you're happy where you live, more power to you, especially if you've moved out of California. Why keep venting one's spleen and looking backwards in the mirror? Is California bashing an active participant sport?

Old 09-08-2020, 07:31 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I just don't get it - if you're happy where you live, more power to you, especially if you've moved out of California. Why keep venting one's spleen and looking backwards in the mirror? Is California bashing an active participant sport?
He needs to show us on the doll where California hurt him.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:36 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Honestly, I can see why someone who's an ultra right wing conservative would dislike California. These people are not a fan of big government or crowded spaces. They tend to gravitate towards places with lots of land, where they can cling to god and guns, without much opposition. There are open spaces in rural CA, but many people there are going to still complain because their votes are overruled by the coastal cities.

I think much of this is further propagated by Fox News, Trump, etc. that cherry pick bad elements of CA, such as our current wildfire storms, the homeless encampments in the major cities or the state welfare situation. Honestly, a lot of these people would wish CA just falls into the Pacific Ocean (as I've heard by others before) and it frustrates them to no end that CA has had such a successful economic story and provides such influence in the Tech and Entertainment industries. This doesn't fit their model of a failed state. So, it pumps up their egos to come onto this board (and other sources) with cherry picked information to try to raise a point.
Hey, what a combo! Got one more to add, to make a Holy Trinity?

Old 09-08-2020, 07:40 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
But most of the bashers come from either tornado country, or hurricane alley. They've been living with their disasters a lot longer, and on a far more regular basis, than Californians have been living with huge wildfires. Even the odd earthquake every 75 years or so doesn't tally up with the destruction of annual tornados.

Oh, and one thing they're not telling you is: they've been having scary prairie fires that burn down small towns, or parts of them. They don't want you to know.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:19 PM

223 posts, read 153,710 times
[quote=Fontucky;59109162]QUOTE=adistea17;59084942]/QUOTE]while spittle, rancid tobacco flakes, and bits of what used to be teeth fly outward in all directions.

[quote=adistea17;59085064][quote=00lucky00;59084679
I dont understand people saying CA has rude people! I find people to be happy. No one in CA gives a F*** where you are from. Everyone is from everywhere in CA.

Happy to have made you guffaw a bit, but promise me you'll work on your post quoting skills. [/QUOTE]

I know I'm so bad!

Old 09-08-2020, 10:16 PM

732 posts, read 390,454 times
Quote:
Sitting here with the first of many power outages, a small town with a fair number of homeless people, and looking at my registration for $350 for a 16 year old 1/2 ton truck, there's a reasonable amount of stuff to be irritated about.

At this point, I'd say that the main point of living in CA is a house at the beach. The rest of it is over-expensive, over-crowded, and the landscape can be mostly duplicated elsewhere.

It's not awful, but not amazing either.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:31 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Sitting here with the first of many power outages, a small town with a fair number of homeless people, and looking at my registration for $350 for a 16 year old 1/2 ton truck, there's a reasonable amount of stuff to be irritated about.

At this point, I'd say that the main point of living in CA is a house at the beach. The rest of it is over-expensive, over-crowded, and the landscape can be mostly duplicated elsewhere.

It's not awful, but not amazing either.
Here is a beach home in Pacifica, California.

3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1700 SqFt.

Asking $1,175,000.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...zpid/?mmlb=g,1

Pacifica is located 20 minutes south of San Francisco down highway 1. It is non-descript and not exactly a prime zip code. Nobody is beating down the door to move to Pacifica, CA.

Beach views are obscured by fog 6 months of the year, 3 during winter and 3 during summer. I hope you like salt-water fog and all the paint ruining, car rusting damage it brings with it. I lived in San Francisco proper 45 blocks from the beach, and the fog rust-warped my Chevy Silverado truck rotors in 4 years because I had no garage to park in. Small cost, I realize.

I am posting this for perspective on "over expensive". It would have been nice to find one for sale right on the "beach" front to see what it would go for.

Before Covid, I could dig up listings for $1.5 to $2 million dollar, 1100 SQFT cracker box homes with actual ocean views, in Daly City all day. Just a shoebox with a sliding glass door that opens out to a view of the Pacific, when not in that 6 months of fog.

Here is your "beach front" view.

Here is your beach. I mean, it is a beach for walks and what not only a block from your front door, but not exactly Malibu, let alone Miami Beach.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:38 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
OK, well here is a buildable lot on the ocean front Pacifica CA for $2.1 million. No structure on it yet. Again, this is lousy Pacifica, not Monterey or Carmel or Big Sur, where people are constantly fighting to get into big, beautiful, luxurious ocean-view homes.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...15489036_zpid/

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California