Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2020, 02:56 PM

923 posts, read 1,047,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
This is quite an embellishment. Plenty of people who live in cold climates do outdoors stuff. You have heard of skiing, and snowboarding, and snow shoeing, and snow mobiling, and ice fishing, and I could go on and on. I live in CA now, but even we seek out snow in the winter. We go to tahoe or big bear or whereever there is snow because snow is fun.

If you grow up in snowy areas then you don't let it slow you down, it is just part of life.
And there are tons of people in CA who are not outdoors people, they sit at home and become slobs. I would say that Colorado is more of an outdoorsy state than CA.
True CO is very outdoorsy, however, the COL there is no cheaper than CA. My sister lives in Fort Collins and the housing prices and taxes there are outrageous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 03:25 PM

46 posts, read 54,368 times
As heard from the individual residing in the Sierra Nevada foothills, so goes many Californians: It is my home. Home is where the heart is. Home is where I planted my roots, and I shall die. The list of references to home and how significant it is to the person can go on and on. I uprooted and moved on a lot in my twenties and thirties but mostly in Ca (a few years in Seattle and a year in 5 college area of Mass. & in Florida. For me, Ca is still some family residing here, and sunshine, without being a desert. However, my wife and I have moved a few times in Ca alone and are looking North where I have some relatives and a few old friends to retire. I just have to decide to bear with much more dark and dreary days of winter. Young, in my twenties I just went out and about all winter long in Seattle and I loved the interest in the Occult (hey, that is spirituality with roots many thousands of years back, my devout Christian friends.) I loved hiking the Olympic Mountains, Northern Cascades and especially around Mt Rainier and St. Helena. Well guess what...I love all the wonderful places to hike now around my home an the short trip to the ocean! We have the best fire fighting crews in the world and thank you Montana for providing us additional help from Federal fire fighters! There are bigger and worse fires but most communities will avoid big fires and most near fires will survive intact. I have a friend in Healdsburg, CA who just lost his home to fire, but in forested, less populated areas it has become even more of a possibility. But know where you live and prepare, right? As to expense...well, it is all relative, isn't it in this free market economy. I would say a good part of our reasoning in retiring out of Ca is how much retirement funds we have allowed for. It will stretch farther for us out of Ca., for the lifestyle we desire.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:33 PM

10,648 posts, read 5,484,786 times
A big missing factor in mos to of the contributions to this entire discussion is the length of time people have lived in Calfornia.

A 70 year old person born and raised in Calfornia has seen dramatic changes that someone who moved here 5 years ago has never experienced.

So when someone, "I am here in California because it is my home", hasn't experienced much change from when he moved here 5 years ago, it is a very different thing from the person who has lived here their entire life.

That 70 year old who has lived here all 70 years of her life can also say "I am here in California because it is my home", but it may no longer be the home of her youth or even the home she knew 30 years ago. That 70 year old will have seen massive changes in cost of living, crowded conditions, governance, demographics, the quality of education, the growth of government unions, the cost of Universities, the explosion of welfare and homeless populations, traffic conditions, laws and regulations, and social attitudes and norms.

So the perspective from those 2 individuals is going to be radically different. The 15year resident who loved California upon moving here and has only seen modest changes over his 5 years may still love it here. The 70 year old may hate it here and all of the sunshine and dry heat in the world is not enough to make up for all of the detrimental changes she has lived through and wants to seek out a new home that at least negates some of those above reference changes, despite more rain or clouds or snow or humidity.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:40 PM

21,564 posts, read 16,068,589 times
Good grief. Give it an efing rest. Just move and shut up about it.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:25 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,744,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
A big missing factor in mos to of the contributions to this entire discussion is the length of time people have lived in Calfornia.

A 70 year old person born and raised in Calfornia has seen dramatic changes that someone who moved here 5 years ago has never experienced.

So when someone, "I am here in California because it is my home", hasn't experienced much change from when he moved here 5 years ago, it is a very different thing from the person who has lived here their entire life.

That 70 year old who has lived here all 70 years of her life can also say "I am here in California because it is my home", but it may no longer be the home of her youth or even the home she knew 30 years ago. That 70 year old will have seen massive changes in cost of living, crowded conditions, governance, demographics, the quality of education, the growth of government unions, the cost of Universities, the explosion of welfare and homeless populations, traffic conditions, laws and regulations, and social attitudes and norms.

So the perspective from those 2 individuals is going to be radically different. The 15year resident who loved California upon moving here and has only seen modest changes over his 5 years may still love it here. The 70 year old may hate it here and all of the sunshine and dry heat in the world is not enough to make up for all of the detrimental changes she has lived through and wants to seek out a new home that at least negates some of those above reference changes, despite more rain or clouds or snow or humidity.
This is very true. The CA of my youth, which was far better than now, is gone. What my family and friends grew up with that brought great pleasure, does not generally exist now. Change is not always bad, but it is still something to adapt to. CA is my home and that will not change, but the type of life we all have now is different for sure. Many have no idea of what it was like.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:26 PM

26,577 posts, read 26,439,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
Plenty of people who live in cold climates do outdoors stuff. You have heard of skiing, and snowboarding, and snow shoeing, and snow mobiling, and ice fishing, and I could go on and on. I live in CA now, but even we seek out snow in the winter. We go to tahoe or big bear or whereever there is snow because snow is fun.
Agreed. Plenty to do in the snow in California! (We just go to Mammoth and Big Bear.)

Old 09-01-2020, 05:55 PM

117 posts, read 79,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Good grief. Give it an efing rest. Just move and shut up about it.
I think a lot of us are just frustrated that we moved here for the CA dream and the state has ended up failing us. I've been here since 97, the homeless population alone is enough to leave. It's going to be catastrophic and who's going to pay for it?
The only people that can afford to live here (coastal cities that is) are the Section 8 people on food stamps and those who make $100k and up. Everyone else is just treading water and footing the bill. The middle class are the ones paying for everyone else and gaining nothing...
And yes, I am shutting up and moving before the year's end...

Old 09-01-2020, 06:39 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,785,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDaver View Post
I think a lot of us are just frustrated that we moved here for the CA dream and the state has ended up failing us. I've been here since 97, the homeless population alone is enough to leave. It's going to be catastrophic and who's going to pay for it?
The only people that can afford to live here (coastal cities that is) are the Section 8 people on food stamps and those who make $100k and up. Everyone else is just treading water and footing the bill. The middle class are the ones paying for everyone else and gaining nothing...
And yes, I am shutting up and moving before the year's end...

I think some us find it frustrating that those who have decided CA is no longer working for them and have moved out, post on CA forums how had it is here, a "cesspool" failed state and on and on CA bashing. I know if I moved out of CA for those reasons, I would be concentrating on my new home state and wanting where I came from to be a fading memory.......hence I would not be popping up on CA forums

Old 09-01-2020, 06:48 PM

21,397 posts, read 8,612,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

I am 71 years old, born and raised in California and have seen all the changes you speak of. Of course I would love it if California could somehow magically go back to the way it was in the 1950s, but that's not realistic. The only constant in life is change. Even with all our recent challenges such as drought and wildfires, I have no desire to escape. California is my home. My roots are here, my friends and family are here.

Our house may be small, but my husband and I own it free and clear. It has appreciated in value nearly 700%, yet our property taxes are still low because Prop. 13 limits annual increases. That is a big advantage for retirees. We love our quiet residential neighborhood across the street from a forested park with an ocean view. What advantage would there be trading for a McMansion in some other state? Not only would our property taxes skyrocket, but if we moved to a red state we would be seen as evil invaders from "Cali" and possibly shunned by the locals. No thanks.

Those San Franciscans that the OP mentioned upthread - the ones who mocked her for not being green enough, not driving a Tesla and complained about buildings that don't have composting toilets - give me a break! That attitude doesn't represent the views of me or any San Franciscan I've ever known. I don't think I'm special or better than anyone else because I'm a Californian; just lucky. It sounds like the OP's friends are just entitled jerks. You can find those anywhere.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 09-01-2020 at 07:00 PM..

Old 09-01-2020, 07:17 PM

223 posts, read 151,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
100,000 gross pay

Same salary but if you drop in 19K into a 401k and 5.5K into an HSA
Are you saying that with a $100,000 yearly salary the gross monthly pay would only be $4167? That's way way way off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California