Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2020, 08:01 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
So when someone, "I am here in California because it is my home", hasn't experienced much change from when he moved here 5 years ago, it is a very different thing from the person who has lived here their entire life.

That 70 year old who has lived here all 70 years of her life can also say "I am here in California because it is my home", but it may no longer be the home of her youth or even the home she knew 30 years ago. That 70 year old will have seen massive changes in cost of living, crowded conditions...
"Their entire life".....that goes for 35 year olds who've lived their entire lives here as well. No, it isn't the home of their youth. How could anywhere be the home of one's youth? We can't turn the clock back anywhere -- not even in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 09:39 AM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Their entire life".....that goes for 35 year olds who've lived their entire lives here as well. No, it isn't the home of their youth. How could anywhere be the home of one's youth? We can't turn the clock back anywhere -- not even in California.
You have missed my point.

People who have seen change over a long period of time in their home have very different perspective from people who have spent very little time.

When a person from California moves to a tiny town of 10,000, he sees a quaint little town with low costs, no traffic, and nice people.

A person who lived their entire life in that town has seen it go from population 500 to 10,000, has seen costs explode from when he was young, seen that one main street filled with traffic and inadequate parking, and remembers when everybody knew each other and helped each other.

So the native may think his town is expensive, overcrowded, and unfriendly while the Californian thinks the opposite. All things are relative and the two have had radically different experiences so they see the same town radically differently.

My point is, Californians who have lived here a long time, and have seen massive changes, and who liked the old California but detest the current California and the ongoing changes, and who have reasons to dislike California today -- those people have good reason to move and attemp to find a place that was like California 10 years ago, or 30 years ago, or 50 years ago as the case may be. They may not find it, and they may have to compromise on things like weather, but they make the attempt because California is no longer to their liking, especially as relates to how they remember it was before it changed.

Someone drawn to California who moved here 5 years ago for the action and amenitites and diversity and liberal policies and all the government provided services, may just love California because it probably hasn't changed that much in 5 years, so they are probably still thrilled with how it is. They are going to stay. Why leave?

Now lets consider a crazy but useful hypothetical future California where the state has radically changed for that recently arrived liberal.

Let's pretend it is 40 years into the future, and California 2060 is shockingly conservative, has cut all taxes and services, and has elected a former neo-Nazi for governor who wants to end all welfare and all services to the poor and to undocumented aliens, who oppressess gays and minority to the exent federal law allows, and has made possessing marijuana a felony crime, has ended all government spending for the arts, and allows everybody who wants to carry a concealed gun with no permit and no training.

Do you think that liberal would want to stay in California for the weather, or would he not think California has changed for the worse and wants to leave for a state he prefers after living here 45 years?

Old 09-02-2020, 06:47 PM

223 posts, read 153,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
The chart is showing bi-monthly paychecks. $4,167*2 = $8,334 per month.
Ok got it. I get paid once a month so I'm just used to that.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:38 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:

People who have seen change over a long period of time in their home have very different perspective from people who have spent very little time.

When a person from California moves to a tiny town of 10,000, he sees a quaint little town with low costs, no traffic, and nice people.

A person who lived their entire life in that town has seen it go from population 500 to 10,000, has seen costs explode from when he was young, seen that one main street filled with traffic and inadequate parking, and remembers when everybody knew each other and helped each other.

So the native may think his town is expensive, overcrowded, and unfriendly while the Californian thinks the opposite. All things are relative and the two have had radically different experiences so they see the same town radically differently.

My point is, Californians who have lived here a long time, and have seen massive changes, and who liked the old California but detest the current California and the ongoing changes, and who have reasons to dislike California today -- those people have good reason to move and attemp to find a place that was like California 10 years ago, or 30 years ago, or 50 years ago as the case may be. They may not find it, and they may have to compromise on things like weather, but they make the attempt because California is no longer to their liking, especially as relates to how they remember it was before it changed.

Someone drawn to California who moved here 5 years ago for the action and amenitites and diversity and liberal policies and all the government provided services, may just love California because it probably hasn't changed that much in 5 years, so they are probably still thrilled with how it is. They are going to stay. Why leave?

Now lets consider a crazy but useful hypothetical future California where the state has radically changed for that recently arrived liberal.

Let's pretend it is 40 years into the future, and California 2060 is shockingly conservative, has cut all taxes and services, and has elected a former neo-Nazi for governor who wants to end all welfare and all services to the poor and to undocumented aliens, who oppressess gays and minority to the exent federal law allows, and has made possessing marijuana a felony crime, has ended all government spending for the arts, and allows everybody who wants to carry a concealed gun with no permit and no training.

Do you think that liberal would want to stay in California for the weather, or would he not think California has changed for the worse and wants to leave for a state he prefers after living here 45 years?
There are also changes that are not good. Yes a person moving from a crowded city to a crowded one in CA may not see much of a difference. But for many the commute is atrocious and when from another State, even if they have never been to CA before they agree it is not good.

Then the higher costs make a difference even to a new resident. Check gas prices in CA VS say TN. State income tax, Registration, Electric charges (except to some extent by the coast) ad more. Yes if a native they have gone up a lot over the years, but moving from a State with no State Income tax, etc., it is not appealing.

CA has a tremendous amount of things that are nice and enjoyable, but it now has a lot of things that are not. New residents will see that as much as older residents.

This is happening everywhere, just more so in CA due to the population size and government decisions..

Old 09-02-2020, 08:46 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,727,776 times
Quote:
Still, I spent the first 20 years of my life there. One of the best places in the world to grow up. As for being an adult? It sucks pretty hard.

But there’s still a lot to like, it depends on your tolerance for BS. If you can afford it, I see no reason not to. If you can only barely afford it...look elsewhere.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:53 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,688 times
Quote:

it seems like your desires were subliminally pushing to the surface with this post?

Old 09-02-2020, 10:08 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,782,993 times

Old 09-03-2020, 07:29 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:

Yet one could say that about any state. The Welcome Wagon, childhood games of Kick the Can in the streets, moms leaning over backyard fences with their cup of coffee to chat with each other, or zipping along any freeway unimpeded are probably gone in most states in this country.

Quote:
My point is, Californians who have lived here a long time, and have seen massive changes, and who liked the old California but detest the current California and the ongoing changes.....have good reason to move and attemp to find a place that was like California 10 years ago, or 30 years ago, or 50 years ago.

When I was in my 20s, I knew plenty of people within that age group who had moved to southern California from N.J., N.Y., Chicago and Denver. Mostly for jobs or to get away from the area in which they grew up. They're still here.

If you read the CA forums, you see many threads from younger people who move here from other states and who aren't happy with their choice. They fault the area (many from the Westside), the snobby people, the lack of ability to meet others, the expensive housing.

I just don't agree that it's length of time as a resident that affects people's happiness here.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:27 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,780,099 times
Quote:
Yet one could say that about any state. The Welcome Wagon, childhood games of Kick the Can in the streets, moms leaning over backyard fences with their cup of coffee to chat with each other, or zipping along any freeway unimpeded are probably gone in most states in this country.

When I was in my 20s, I knew plenty of people within that age group who had moved to southern California from N.J., N.Y., Chicago and Denver. Mostly for jobs or to get away from the area in which they grew up. They're still here.

If you read the CA forums, you see many threads from younger people who move here from other states and who aren't happy with their choice. They fault the area (many from the Westside), the snobby people, the lack of ability to meet others, the expensive housing.

I just don't agree that it's length of time as a resident that affects people's happiness here.
True, it is more how a person can adapt to the changes and if they still enjoy it.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:02 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Because Im impossible to please in the first place, and I dont find one red state remotely desirable anymore. I question the mental stability of any state that votes for Donald Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California